Path of Exile

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah thats the problem with ideas like that healing NPC. They may sound great from a developer perspective "cost associated" blah blah but as a player having to do this over and over 1000 times, well, it gets old pretty quick. This is why they do need to stick to their "vision" for sure, but at the same time listen to player feedback as well on tedious shit like this.
It all reminds me of the dickfuck DMs who won't bend a fucking INCH outside of "their vision" - similar to cockfags like Brad McQuaid.

Sometimes practicality, intuitiveness, and "fun" need to come before the little stupid fucking fort you built yourself inside your head. Function > "sounds NEATO!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Exilecon was pretty counter intuitive in that regard. They added a bunch of fun shit for next league and also added a souls like roll dodge with no cool down to poe2 while simultaneously... doing the other shit you guys are talking about.

And constantly stating "games should be FUN!!!"

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah thats the problem with ideas like that healing NPC. They may sound great from a developer perspective "cost associated" blah blah but as a player having to do this over and over 1000 times, well, it gets old pretty quick. This is why they do need to stick to their "vision" for sure, but at the same time listen to player feedback as well on tedious shit like this.

It's going to be fine until you're in a situation where you're getting shit on and salt is building. It's then going to be annoying as fuck ramping up to rage-inducing to have to walk of shame across the town and back to talk to a dude to do something that was done automatically in PoE1. Being able to quickly portal in and portal out without breaking the flow of play is nice even if not often necessary. If I'm getting rocked I'm going to hate having to run to the well to refill my flasks to go talk to the healer guy to then run back to my portal and then do it again because I suck. It'll be like a little time tax that only hits you if you're getting shat on and thus whenever it's a relevant feature it will suck the root.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's going to be fine until you're in a situation where you're getting shit on and salt is building. It's then going to be annoying as fuck ramping up to rage-inducing to have to walk of shame across the town and back to talk to a dude to do something that was done automatically in PoE1. Being able to quickly portal in and portal out without breaking the flow of play is nice even if not often necessary. If I'm getting rocked I'm going to hate having to run to the well to refill my flasks to go talk to the healer guy to then run back to my portal and then do it again because I suck. It'll be like a little time tax that only hits you if you're getting shat on and thus whenever it's a relevant feature it will suck the root.
Not to mention when you go to town pissed off, get distracted, forget to click on their stupid fucking RP mini game, go back to the dungeon, and realize you.. FUCKING FORGOT. It won't take many of those types of scenarios before people just say fuck it and go back to PoE 1.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK but adding souls dodge rolling doesn't sound that fun. Having bosses that take 10 minutes to down is lame. It will just become apparent much earlier on that you bricked your character because every single one of their fucking 100 bosses takes you 5 mins or more to kill.

Going to town to refill is just dumb. Like, why?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
IDK but adding souls dodge rolling doesn't sound that fun. Having bosses that take 10 minutes to down is lame. It will just become apparent much earlier on that you bricked your character because every single one of their fucking 100 bosses takes you 5 mins or more to kill.

Going to town to refill is just dumb. Like, why?
If they make potions 10x more powerful, that could be a tradeoff. For 5 seconds of potions you do 50x damage but can only refill in town sorta thing instead of the current flavor of always-on but tedius to spam functionality

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I hated piano flasks, and never played any build that abused them.

• 1Truth!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's an interesting problem to try and solve. If they are doing away with the idea of just always rolling 4 utility flasks and instead turning them in to a much more 'oh shit' kind of button then the return to town thing doesn't really bother me as much.

From the looks of all the gameplay so far the health flasks looked to be the primary/only source of recovery, especially during bosses. They even specifically called out during dev panels that regen won't be anywhere near what you can achieve in current PoE, so it really seems like they are banking on flasks as your primary recovery source. That gets tricky though because during the campaign or outside of maps with a 6 portal limit why do flasks even have charge then? If returning to town is a free refill on your primary healing/mana source, it gets really muddy on what the limitations should be because without some kind of limit or friction on the refill flasks are essentially infinite, meaning your recovery is infinite.

• 1Truth!

Caliane

item design panel from day 2, for poe2.

want more identity for weapon types. axes feel more like axes.

quarterstaves moved to dex/int. spears/xbow/flails new. traps are an actual weapon now, not spells.

stat differences in base items is much greater. daggers start at 15% base crit.

"most attacks can be used with a single weapon". seems like a terrible design choice. seems like they are building new skills around single weapons. there is a good deal of reduction away from any skill for any class, towards preset design. like ascendancies. this is something that worries me about poe2. ascendancies were a mistake, and they seem to be leaning heavier into this predefined build idea, away from the freeform.

axes can be thrown.

scepters are minion weapon. grant spirit implicit. tend to roll, ally buffs. minions no longer have preset counts. "summon 3 skeletons". but instead spirit cost. which means minion count and auras will directly feed off the same pool.

traps are a weapon you carry. carrying a trap, turns any spell linked, INTO a trap spell. mines are a trap type.

changing how chaos orbs work. no longer rerolls item entirely. chaos orb now removes 1 mod, and replaces it with a new one.
Alteration orbs, no longer exist.

designer talking started working in breach.

no scouring orbs.

pie chart is not actually complete. there are 75% int/25% dex weapons for example.

Last edited:

Caliane

weapon swap might enable some interesting things with trap/dagger, or bow/dagger. a crit build that has ranged, but then can swap to melee. or, trash trapping, and boss self cast.
Run speed mapping, and then swapping to boss killing weaponset.

next section of day 2, was some streamers discussing. not much super important here.
the host did bring up the gold. there is a gambler NPC, who exchanges gold for RNG items.
5k gold max currently. takes up inventory space. is auto pickup.

Last edited:

Caliane

4 hour mark. starting Q and A section. with Jonathan, mark, rory, and Hrishikesh(the item designer)

gold is the first question. ha. figured.
they don't think gold will be a trading currency. its too easy to obtain. like scrolls of wisdom.

they don't expect you to use all 9 skills all the time. the idea is to have a few as back up in the rare need. or, can be setup to use in cast on X, or sequancer support, etc.
they are designing the game with intent to make more situational use. aka, monsters with 75% lit resist, or 75% lit vulnerbility, etc.

no major change in "trade" philosophy. maybe some quality of life improvement.

projectiles have gravity now. projectiles fired off screen may fall off, and not reach you.

no scion as noted. "we made it so its easier to path around the tree. less nodes to travel"

new boss stat buffs are per character.

plan is to still make you play through the campaign every time. weak answer. "I like the campaign". no real discussion on it. (coming from someone, who also enjoys the campaigns more then mapping.. but even I have to admit it gets tedious, and needs to be discussed.)

no crafting bench. vendor is taking over the roll. they want the vendor to be more impactful.

trying to tone down leech and regen. but also its constantly influx. possible with build focus, but not as easy to attain.

"whats the design philsophy behind the wells" "it feels nice.... after you've done it a few times it feels right"

"any word on a death recap". not a high priority. "hopefully in poe2 it will be more clear what killed you" "the visual clarity will be alot betteR"

removed boss currency penalty.

light radius expands minimap vision.

talent tree note. no masteries? I think thats what he said. far fewer weapon specific nodes. which feeds into the weapon swap.

no flask piano. more reactive. instead of immune to fire, flask will extinguish burning.

charges no longer give passive effects. they are purely for currency to expend on skills.
flicker strike no longer has a cooldown.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I assume gold is just a universe currency for players to use to buy shit from vendors each chapter. The PoE currency system is a lot to ask of a new player five minutes in. I've got plenty of hours under my belt now and I'm still not entirely sure of what to do with the random shit during the campaign. I'm sure there are better ways of using it and I'm sure I don't know what those are.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The dual passive/weapon swap will be great for multi effect things while solo play like "% more freeze chance on shocked monsters" etc, which will be more important if they slow down game play and make things tankier. The trick though is to make trash more rewarding to kill or people will just hate the tankier mobs.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You know how you watch Ion Hazzikostas over at WoW take questions and everything about him screams arrogant prick? Watching these interviews and things from ExileCon I never once saw someone that I wanted to see bludgeoned.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
It's an interesting problem to try and solve. If they are doing away with the idea of just always rolling 4 utility flasks and instead turning them in to a much more 'oh shit' kind of button then the return to town thing doesn't really bother me as much.

From the looks of all the gameplay so far the health flasks looked to be the primary/only source of recovery, especially during bosses. They even specifically called out during dev panels that regen won't be anywhere near what you can achieve in current PoE, so it really seems like they are banking on flasks as your primary recovery source. That gets tricky though because during the campaign or outside of maps with a 6 portal limit why do flasks even have charge then? If returning to town is a free refill on your primary healing/mana source, it gets really muddy on what the limitations should be because without some kind of limit or friction on the refill flasks are essentially infinite, meaning your recovery is infinite.
100% agree. This all seems like a huge step backwards.
4 hour mark. starting Q and A section. with Jonathan, mark, rory, and Hrishikesh(the item designer)

gold is the first question. ha. figured.
they don't think gold will be a trading currency. its too easy to obtain. like scrolls of wisdom.

they don't expect you to use all 9 skills all the time. the idea is to have a few as back up in the rare need. or, can be setup to use in cast on X, or sequancer support, etc.
they are designing the game with intent to make more situational use. aka, monsters with 75% lit resist, or 75% lit vulnerbility, etc.

no major change in "trade" philosophy. maybe some quality of life improvement.

projectiles have gravity now. projectiles fired off screen may fall off, and not reach you.

no scion as noted. "we made it so its easier to path around the tree. less nodes to travel"

plan is to still make you play through the campaign every time. weak answer. "I like the campaign". no real discussion on it. (coming from someone, who also enjoys the campaigns more then mapping.. but even I have to admit it gets tedious, and needs to be discussed.)

no crafting bench. vendor is taking over the roll. they want the vendor to be more impactful.

trying to tone down leech and regen. but also its constantly influx. possible with build focus, but not as easy to attain.

"whats the design philsophy behind the wells" "it feels nice.... after you've done it a few times it feels right"

"any word on a death recap". not a high priority. "hopefully in poe2 it will be more clear what killed you" "the visual clarity will be alot betteR"

removed boss currency penalty.

light radius expands minimap vision.

talent tree note. no masteries? I think thats what he said. far fewer weapon specific nodes. which feeds into the weapon swap.

no flask piano. more reactive. instead of immune to fire, flask will extinguish burning.

charges no longer give passive effects. they are purely for currency to expend on skills.
flicker strike no longer has a cooldown.
Some of this is ok but again a lot of it seems like a pain for QoL and a step backward from the current game. Like, they do understand that a lot of what makes 'Hardcore' challenging is the lack of QoL that is in the regular game, right? Put differently, it's an artificial challenge that doesn't feel natural when you realize there's another mode where all the roadblocks that are tedious to navigate have been removed. I mean, it's early and all but it seems like their design philosophy for PoE2 is out of date thinking rather than examining their system fundamentals in an effort to improve them.

I hope to be proven wrong here.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
LMAO so not only do I have to rerun the campaign 9000 times, now I have to kill all 100 bosses on each character...

You boys like doing 392 Dark Souls playthroughs?!?!

JFC I hate that autists infest the gaming industry.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

I took a break to go diagnose truck problems. Think the alternator has a bad bearing..

next up in day 2 was Kripps showcase. previous link seems busted, so relinking. Reddit suggested his showcase was better then others. he had more time, and he was able to craft a weapon that was not a 1 mod blue piece of shit, so his play was much faster.

neat visual. the hyena's heads follow you, while they circle around you.
watching this, the gold is used for all vendors. just buying blues with gold. selling vendor trash gives you gold, not shards.

something I noticed while watching this panel. they were discussing how much more talking enemies and characters do in this one. demonstrated the druid being tempted by the siren boss. the druid saying how his dead wife was calling to him.
not one presenter, or audience member has asked any dumb shit about gay representation or the like. (Ranger is hinted at as lesbian due to seeing a female ghost heading to merveil in poe1)

Last edited: