Path of Exile

Caliane

ok, so the video is not clipped yet. its just the whole 9 hour deal..
This is a link to the Rory rackham, ed tate, and Jonathan Rogers panel. (4h 58min mark) Rory is the lead designer. hes the guy for meat and potatoes of the game. ed tate is the new animation guy. Jonathan rogers is character skills. also a founder/ head designer. This panel is a pretty deep discussion on game design, skill design, etc. where they think poe went wrong, why they are changing what they are changing for poe2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I guess they saw what Blizzard made out of D4 and went the "hell, we got all time in the world. lol" route

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

ha. later in the vid, the Q&A section.

this is the tech section. got the coder, etc.

most of the question so far have been meh. but someone asks about "nearby". and what a clusterfuck haha.
Feels like Chris is trolling his devs here. he outright says he's cherry picking questions. and then, he personally keeps asking followup questions on that matter.
the devs basically admit. "nearby" is very inconsistent. sometimes 40, sometimes 60, sometimes other. "40 units", etc themselves, are of course a number with no meaning to the player. its "about 23" units per meter. as if meters are defined anywhere in the game.
the problem is, distances are not defined in the skills, etc as a variable. "in poe1 radius is not defined in stacks". so they can't be just queried and displayed as a variable in tooltips. all individually hard coded apparently. they'd have to go through every skill to fix it. he does specify poe1, so this is something that ought to be fixed in 2?

next topic chris says something interesting. so, its about servers. and chris says poe1 and 2 are shared. they expect about 300k for a league currently, and expects maybe 7 figures for poe2 beta.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I will not start new chieftan slams
I will not start new chieftan slams.

I'm starting new chieftan slams.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
New chieftain looks like shit, how are you being enticed?

Because it looks cool.

In no way is it gonna be good I don't think though, unless there's a rework of the numbers/functionality on the Tawhoa the damage is never gonna be there for pinnacles.

Getting to cheat on fire res/max res and the free-ish 7-link is probably fine to league start though and should be able to clear out a fair bit of the atlas.

Ramako has a bit of potential for a staff-based RF/scorching ray setup, but still probably isn't worth dealing with how clunky scorching ray is.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't care about the launch being so far out.

PoE1 is still fun and we want PoE2 to be a huge success and anothet game we play for 10+ years.

They are clearly making massive improvements so they can take all the time in the world imo.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Seems like a lot of people aren't feeling PoE2 at all. A separate game from PoE1, no quick silver flasks, slower paced combat (not sure how it is at end game with better gear and gems), potion refills in towns, no crafting bench ect.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Seems like a lot of people aren't feeling PoE2 at all. A separate game from PoE1, no quick silver flasks, slower paced combat (not sure how it is at end game with better gear and gems), potion refills in towns, no crafting bench ect.
Yeah, the stupid fucking flask well thing they're going to renege on so fucking fast...

"IT JUST FEELS GOOD!" - Fuuuuck offff you goddamn RPers.

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the stupid fucking flask well thing they're going to renege on so fucking fast...

"IT JUST FEELS GOOD!" - Fuuuuck offff you goddamn RPers.
Yeah most of the changes I can deal with but the town well is dumb. You can only refills potions in combat by killing uniques and rares and not normal monsters. And I also believe popping a portal disabled in combat?

Many people are saying Ruthless was a testing ground for PoE2.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Watching people in PoE2 reminds me of my experience in PoE1 during the campaign when I'm doing something that's shit - slow and brutal. We'll have to see what the game looks like like in the hands of skilled players with access to the full game to see what the actual game speed is. We've heard several times now that the demos are tuned to be hard. At these speeds I'm not seeing something that's going to replace PoE for me but I expect proper leaguestart builds to be a thing.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Imagine you're on the half baked alt that has -17 lightning resist, 60 dps, and 900hp that takes 27 deaths to kill Shavronne.

That's PoE2 all the time, baby!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's so fucking far away it seems rather pointless to even speculate about cause it's likely to all change several times by then?

I'm not opposed to poe2 being kind of a clean slate in terms of gameplay though to get back to more dynamic/interactive/whatever actual gameplay rather than the splatterfest that is current poe gameplay.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've said this before but I don't care how slow it is, it only matters what progression feels like. Everyone likes d4 until they hit those shit gaps where they spend no time feeling like they're progressing at all. I respect they're trying to change the formula and open up the combat and decision making while playing instead of pressing 1 or 2 buttons. They had to drastically change things in order to evolve the game.

I'll admit it's quite the gamble though and it could very well not pay off. But I have faith in the devs.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I'm in the opposite camp, I've never like ARPG games due to their 1 button spam mentality. This game looks fucking amazing and I'm sad it's so far out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to see a bunch of ruthless in PoE2 and not being at max excitement but on the other hand the develop team absolutely had to give themselves road to work with. When the community gets their hands on the full game it's going to speed up from what we see here.

Even if I hate the whole game it's free and my microtransactions from PoE all transfer one to one. I'm not going to be plopping down seventy dollars to figure out it's not for me.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think it looks cool - can't believe CLOSED beta is a year away, what a wet fart

can't really fathom how they aren't further along

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think it looks cool - can't believe CLOSED beta is a year away, what a wet fart

can't really fathom how they aren't further along

After years of saying POE 2 would share an endgame with POE they finally came out and admitted that it is truly separate. Now the cannot fall back on the current core components and have to build an entirely new, different, and compelling endgame.

Caliane

day 2.

first presentation is animation, shaders, etc. very tech heavy.
alexander sannikov

1h30min mark roberts. bosses and monsters of poe2.

Last edited: