Path of Exile

Caliane

Thanks guys. That's really helpful. I tried asking on some PoE forum, probably the official one and all I got was "Just have fun!" Fucking hate people like that. No offense Ryanz of course.

What's used as currency then? Basically anything with the word orb in it?
to be fair, this is one of the games thats pretty thick.

you need to take a bite first, then come back in a few days-week, then ask the question.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Well, telling me what shit to hold onto while I figure the game out and that focusing on resists/health will help me be less fucked are really good starting tips. It's shit like that I appreciate. If I just wanted to dive right in and YOLO I wouldn't be on a gaming forum asking for starting advice.

No Harfle. I just finished downloading it. I'll figure out how to socialize later if it feels like I'll put more then 15 minutes into it.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, telling me what shit to hold onto while I figure the game out and that focusing on resists/health will help me be less fucked are really good starting tips. It's shit like that I appreciate. If I just wanted to dive right in and YOLO I wouldn't be on a gaming forum asking for starting advice.

No Harfle. I just finished downloading it. I'll figure out how to socialize later if it feels like I'll put more then 15 minutes into it.
just don't go with a retarded build for your first build and you will probably be able to stick around long enough to keep playing.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
just don't go with a retarded build for your first build and you will probably be able to stick around long enough to keep playing.
Depends, I couldn't get past like a2 cruel on several characters because I always played melee, which, honestly isn't very much fun and desyncs fuck you over pretty hard. The game doesn't have the skills of D3 where you use your whole skillbar, but sometimes hammering on a single key while clearing a whole map is fun.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Depends, I couldn't get past like a2 cruel on several characters because I always played melee, which, honestly isn't very much fun and desyncs fuck you over pretty hard. The game doesn't have the skills of D3 where you use your whole skillbar, but sometimes hammering on a single key while clearing a whole map is fun.
Yeah, honestly this game is more about theorycrafting a build, and then reacting swiftly on defense to stay alive when sh*t goes bad in a hurry. The actual offense/attacking portion of the game is severely lacking, it's basically just spam 1 skill over and over again.

It would be nice if there was a lot more synergy between different skills, something like if you freeze an enemy with ice, it can only then be shattered by lightning or melee, or if an enemy is burning is takes +100% melee damage, etc. Something to get you to use different skills in 1 build. As it stands, 99% of people either just spam cold skills, or lightning skills, or fire skills, there's very little crossover. At most, you might have 1 skill for AOE and 1 for single-target, but that's about all the variety that you see, maybe 1 more skill for movement(ground slam/lightning warp), but you hardly have a whole action bar full of skills that are worth using.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is that viable for hardcore leagues? I've always shied away from melee builds that revolve around movement-based skills because of the fear of a desync death.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Right, don't see many flicker builds on hardcore. I know I wouldn't risk it. Desync is very manageable once you know what to avoid, and a random movement skill throws that out the window.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Is that viable for hardcore leagues? I've always shied away from melee builds that revolve around movement-based skills because of the fear of a desync death.
Highest I've gotten a hardcore flicker build up to was 78 when I ripped on a beartrap+firetrap in a lvl 72 map (i think)

Very very challenging.

I tell you guys what, I'll reboot the flicker build in the next league, ran the last two leagues as a summoner so I'm due for a refresher.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I definitely enjoy the more hands-on, active builds. I can't stand playing a summoner or totem build for very long, it bores me to tears. Problem is, I enjoy the tougher builds more, but I only play like an hour a day, so when I inevitably die somewhere in my 60s or 70s, thats like 3 weeks down the tube and I get crazy pissed, lol.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I did a flicker build once. It was super fun for a while. I mean who doesn't like shadow stepping all over a map at warp speed one shotting mobs endlessly. That said, it's a pain in the ass with your point of view flipping all over the screen constantly, and you spend half of your time backtracking to check and pickup loot you teleported past. Once the novelty wore off, I decided flicker builds were more headache than they were worth.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I did a flicker build once. It was super fun for a while. I mean who doesn't like shadow stepping all over a map at warp speed one shotting mobs endlessly. That said, it's a pain in the ass with your point of view flipping all over the screen constantly, and you spend half of your time backtracking to check and pickup loot you teleported past. Once the novelty wore off, I decided flicker builds were more headache than they were worth.
Well the idea is to run a slow two hander so you're at warp 1 instead of warp 3.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So finally got into starting maps with my glacial cascade shadow in Bloodlines. Started picking up +15 Onyx amulets to alch, on the off chance of getting something nice. First one I alch out of the 2nd map I ran turned into this:
ZLXuV0z.png

Goodamned incredible for my cold build. Boosted my dps from like 4400 to 5200 tooltip DPS. HUGE upgrade. Probably the nicest item I've ever made myself.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I feel an untimely RIP coming very soon. Just made that amulet, and then last night an Alpha's Howl dropped for me. I see myself getting overconfident and sending both of them to standard league pretty soon, lol.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel an untimely RIP coming very soon. Just made that amulet, and then last night an Alpha's Howl dropped for me. I see myself getting overconfident and sending both of them to standard league pretty soon, lol.
Welcome to my world every time I level and gear up a culler. just ask ding

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Sonofabitch. Had a Cloak of Defiance drop for me last night after I already spent most of my currency 5-linking my current BP(stupid 150 fuses)

#firstworldPOEproblems