Path of Exile

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
You can respec your ascendancy, 5 regrets per point.

Playing PoE SSF seems masochistic, more so than the end game already is.

Thx I didn't know that! Well, I knew you could respec your ascendancy....but can you actually change it? I've already selected berserker....are you saying I can respec all the way back and choose a different path and go chieftan?

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yes, 5 regrets per point to reset. then go run any lab again, and you can change the ascendancy itself.
(you can do this in normal lab, and can actually do the respecing IN the room itself)

I prefer SSF or at least a mimicry of it. (im ok with guild trading, etc.)
Currency, progression, and items are much better balanced around it.

The problem is, you are potentially locking yourself out of some content. 5l and 6l are very rare ssf. Build enabling uniques are also quite hard to come by. I wanted to do the nova EK last league, never got the nova threshold jewel. so, a potentially fun build, like wormblaster, just isnt going to happen SSF, without insane luck, or insane play time.

So, content trivialized by trading is no longer trivial, and thus fun. But, rarer content is now out of reach.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I'd have a hard time doing SSF in PoE. This isn't like D3 where high powered loot gets spunked on your toon left and right. Not to mention it would be super hard to plan your build not knowing the uniques you'll get eventually. I assume SSF toons can trade to your own other SSF toons? So do you basically make a generic end-game toon to farm for some shit until build opening uniques drop? So like just make an EQ build toon and just wait for stuff to drop?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Wish I didn't find this thread.....for some reason decided to read some of the newer posts, and decided to try this game out just a month ago. Now totally addicted. This game is like way complicated but I think that is the allure, it's so much less cookie cutter than Diablo 3 is. I went maurader, then fucked up and ascended into berserker thinking that I could just lifesteal and pummel my way to victory. Instead I was dying every few minutes and no longer progressing. Decided to finally look shit up online at the forums, went to Ancestral Warchief double totems, and been doing a lot better ever since. Currently I'm level 82 and doing tier 7-8 maps. Too late to go Chieftan ascendancy but oh well, still having fun and discovering new shit all the time. I'm not sure what to expect once league is over and my toon gets transferred over to standard......funner to continue in standard and finish up end game content, or start over in new league? Maybe a bit of both I dont know. Next time I think I'm gonna roll necro and try to be a summoner.

Biggest drawback to the game imo is the trade system. I basically haven't done any trading at all because it's not intuitive. I know about poe.trade but that seems cumbersome to me. I wish there was an ingame auction house, but I'm betting that's been a dream of players for years now. As it stands, I'm playing this game like the singleplayer, you-can't-trade-with-anyone variant. A lot of this game isn't user-friendly and you need to go to tertiary sites to figure things out, but not that big a deal. Probably the best F2P game I've ever played, there is so much value in this game. I've already spent some money buying inventory tabs and such, will definitely be spending more once I get a better feel for the game.

I'm really casual with this game, playing a character to about level 80 once a year and like you I don't pay much attention to the small optimization details. That being said poe.trade is actually really easy to use and can significantly improve your character on the cheap. You should try it out.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Trading and char planning once I hit merc lakes is kind of a pain in the ass. I need to go through poe.trade and find a buch of 1-5c rares, find them with the stats I need, add up all the reses to make sure I'm at the res cap. I have to make sure they have decent rolls but they can't have great rolls since that will make me go over budget. Since they are low-price rares there is about a 25% chance the first person I message will actually message me back so then I need to re-find an item sometimes with different res rolls so I need to re-do that calculation. I have to do it for every toon and it is like torture every time I have to do it.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trading and char planning once I hit merc lakes is kind of a pain in the ass. I need to go through poe.trade and find a buch of 1-5c rares, find them with the stats I need, add up all the reses to make sure I'm at the res cap. I have to make sure they have decent rolls but they can't have great rolls since that will make me go over budget. Since they are low-price rares there is about a 25% chance the first person I message will actually message me back so then I need to re-find an item sometimes with different res rolls so I need to re-do that calculation. I have to do it for every toon and it is like torture every time I have to do it.

Youre putting far to much work in it for hitting merc dried lake. Buy a few pieces for 1-2c with varied res, values arnt to important, then see where the res on your character ends up and max out from there. Doing all that calculation just seems like a waste of time when theres the sheer quantity of gear out there that will fill your needs.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I'd have a hard time doing SSF in PoE. This isn't like D3 where high powered loot gets spunked on your toon left and right. Not to mention it would be super hard to plan your build not knowing the uniques you'll get eventually. I assume SSF toons can trade to your own other SSF toons? So do you basically make a generic end-game toon to farm for some shit until build opening uniques drop? So like just make an EQ build toon and just wait for stuff to drop?
yes, you do have access to your own stash. last league, EK nova failed. Then, raider? something... I forget what she was originally. got bored, somewhere along the line. Occultist witch ball lightning ended up the main. But, I got a Ngamhu's flame axe drop. So, respeced the raider for it and cyclone. I.. didnt actually play it much. but could have.

so yeah, most will make a simple "league starter" for SSF. especially important in ssf. tried and true builds which need to hit early-mid mapping with little/no investment. farm that for a while, build up a map base, and items needed for your guardian/shaper killer.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well i'm up to 62 with a glacial cascade build, pretty fun but only being able to get 2 ascendencies is turning me off, maybe have to wait until they add the other two labs.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Thx I didn't know that! Well, I knew you could respec your ascendancy....but can you actually change it? I've already selected berserker....are you saying I can respec all the way back and choose a different path and go chieftan?

I played AW last league and didn't go Chieftain -- the damage from berserker was just nutso.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
JFC just saw the first 100 was hit in the 1 week at day 4 and in HC. That dude must have had some awesome friends helping feed him and a lot of preparation, really amazing to do that so quick.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I was reading something about Ziz and whoever the #1 is and they were raising and Ziz had a headhunter but he had to give it up because it made him too fast for his support to follow him. Must be tough, man.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
JFC just saw the first 100 was hit in the 1 week at day 4 and in HC. That dude must have had some awesome friends helping feed him and a lot of preparation, really amazing to do that so quick.
ziz had lots of feeders helping him

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was reading something about Ziz and whoever the #1 is and they were raising and Ziz had a headhunter but he had to give it up because it made him too fast for his support to follow him. Must be tough, man.
Anytime i watched him he was hoping for the drop, also while he had people feeding him, he was running maps solo, so i think that was fake news.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Anytime i watched him he was hoping for the drop, also while he had people feeding him, he was running maps solo, so i think that was fake news.

I watched the video on the reddit of him selling it or giving it away or whatever. It should still be up. I just scrolled down to figure out why and that's what I read.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That was Steelmage I think, the dude is crazy, I think he had first 100 in legacy too.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
What leagues/levels everyone currently play?

Been going at this game solo for almost 5 years now, I think I would like to start playing with some peeps. I play both Legacy SC and standard(my net too unreliable for HC). Fairly rich on both. Completed everything so I can help you with whatever!
IGN: Jonkimble

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I personally took a break until 3.0. I got beta access due to previous supporter packs bought but not bothering to play it. I think for 3.0 I'll play SSF softcore just to make unique drops more interesting

Ryanz

<Banned>
Played sunder in beta like everyone else. Projectiles > AoE. Trying to fight the spider in act 7 with uncapped resists is pretty lulzy. Pretty much one shot city. Actually, I've died more to bosses in beta then I have on all my char's in the last 3 years. Bosses are no joke.