Path of Exile

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Remember you can always buy a 'jeweler's touch' prophecy to 5 link anything. They're like 25c so often buying your unique you want and buying one of those is cheaper than trying to find your unique 5 linked.
Thanks for the protip. I looked into that, the price differential was much higher.

I still feel pretty dumb leveling my frost blades raider with a pretty minimal gem-set because I didn't think it was feasible to craft 4L items.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy shit shield charge is fast. It's too bad my auras are on my weapons and they drop when I swap to my shield. If you're a dual wielder with auras in your weapons is there a way to cleanly use shield charge?

I looked for a 5L lightning coil and a belly of the beast last night, ended up finding a cheapish lightning coil first. So far it seems pretty good. I haven't even looked at physical damage calculations for PoE, but from what I understand physical damage reduction from armor is calculated logarithmically such that big hits pierce through armor. It seems like that fact makes lightning coil really good because it not only applies a 30% * 75% = 22.5% reduction from lightning resist, but also cuts down the physical damage that armor has to mitigate. Then again I don't know the order of these operations. If the armor check is done before the lightning coil 30% split, then this paragraph is a load of shit.

I'm not making an argument that lightning coil is better than belly or anything, I'm just musing on my understanding of the mechanics. I'm not even sure what kind of raw damage is coming out of these mobs.

Armor is still good its just the way that PoE works one source of damage mitigation isn't enough usually. It really shines with low damage hits which is the bulk of what you take anyway and as you said it has diminishing returns for higher incoming damage. I am sure you are running a cast when damage taken setup , that will mitigate the huge hits that make it through due to the diminishing returns on armor and thats another layer of defense. With Lightning Coil you can run a lightning resist flask (Vinktar's when youre good on money) which will raise you're lightning resist cap by 6% and mitigate your damage taken even further.

Finally done, felt easier than most leagues this time but still took hella long.
upload_2017-9-6_14-10-41.png

Pasteton Pasteton I'm still around, PM me whatever build youre running and your account name and ill give you a set of gear no problem.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Got to 33 achievements and the desire to continue kinda petered out. Might be more bummed, but blue frosting character effect is quite meh.

Gave a couple attempts at shaper with brightbeak equipped to give myself a "handicap" and the fight still felt unrewarding to learn. Way too much of this game is "This is a bullshit mechanic, let's find a way to completely negate it". I can see why a lot builds seek to delete shaper asap, dodging his shit is silly. Give me the tools and margins to dodge and I'll happily do it all day.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
thanks man. are you playing on the harbinger league? i just made a scion, have been reading forums on what build to go with but theres like 5 billion options. anyone here play scion in the new league have asuggestion on something i can run pretty quick n easy? i just want to skil up fast because i find the game a lot more fun once the char's fleshed out and im working on the post storyline maps

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Types of people you meet in maps:

- Guy who is 5 screens ahead and barely killing half the mobs

- Guy who is yelling at above guy threatening to bring his path finder, assuring above fellow he will never see another mob again

- Guy stopping to pick up every wisdom and portal scroll

- Guy who almost immediately dies and leaves

- Guy who insists his loot is being stolen by others when it is set to permanent allocation

- Guy who is 20 lvls lower (68-70) with 6L belly of beast and 6L starforge/atziri disfavor/pledge of hands clowning on everyone

- Guy who insists no one else does any damage

- Wand guy blowing up 8 screens around him at a time

Glad they fixed the blade vortex crash, I was really wondering what that random crash was I had every so often and wouldn't you know it.. it stopped after that patch.

After 100 I might go for a quick 91 skele mage necro in HC. So far the pledge of hands / cloak of defiance variant is the favorite I've seen (seen queen escape and saint femur too)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
thanks man. are you playing on the harbinger league? i just made a scion, have been reading forums on what build to go with but theres like 5 billion options. anyone here play scion in the new league have asuggestion on something i can run pretty quick n easy? i just want to skil up fast because i find the game a lot more fun once the char's fleshed out and im working on the post storyline maps

I am playing Harbinger with believe it or not Sycloness and our old crew. For your build ideas - Do you want to kill raid bosses? End game map? or currency farm? Knowing your goals will help people here recommend a build. I can always throw you 30ex if youre in harbinger and you can buy pretty much any builds gear.

Deathwing Deathwing you shouldnt "need" movement skills to dodge anything with Shaper. He's a DPS and mechanic check, his enrage timer is those orbs which stay on the ground. I would practice and get comfortable with his mechanics, his slam is the only thing I use a movement skill for and its because I want maximum up time. I did him just now on my cyclone guy with no movement skills and Cyclone locks you into the animation for 1.5 seconds. My DPS on my guy for reference is around 120k and I got 4 orbs on phase 3. I bricked a couple of sets learning him, its kind of normal.

Anyways its obvious but you want to burn him when he kamehameha's, once you get comfortable with the small ball machine gun and the slam you can maximize to attack between animations then also.

upload_2017-9-7_10-26-53.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am playing Harbinger with believe it or not Sycloness and our old crew. For your build ideas - Do you want to kill raid bosses? End game map? or currency farm? Knowing your goals will help people here recommend a build. I can always throw you 30ex if youre in harbinger and you can buy pretty much any builds gear.

Deathwing Deathwing you shouldnt "need" movement skills to dodge anything with Shaper. He's a DPS and mechanic check, his enrage timer is those orbs which stay on the ground. I would practice and get comfortable with his mechanics, his slam is the only thing I use a movement skill for and its because I want maximum up time. I did him just now on my cyclone guy with no movement skills and Cyclone locks you into the animation for 1.5 seconds. My DPS on my guy for reference is around 120k and I got 4 orbs on phase 3. I bricked a couple of sets learning him, its kind of normal.

Anyways its obvious but you want to burn him when he kamehameha's, once you get comfortable with the small ball machine gun and the slam you can maximize to attack between animations then also.

View attachment 153147
I guess? I was a bit tilted after bricking two sets and not really feeling like it's worth the time to farm up another set even though I had the maps. Part of it was I still had to do one of those random grindy achievements even if I did end up killing Uber Atziri and Shaper. Same thing happened last league after I reached 90 and didn't need anymore significant upgrades.

I feel like things Vaal Pact and 6 portals per map add to people screwing up. VP because you aren't sustaining if you aren't attacking, so gotta dps as much as possible. And 6 portals because otherwise it feels like you wasted your time. IDK, not really explaining it well.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I need to snipe 18c Beach Head maps. I think those are going away after this season? Xp is a bit unfair compared to standard play.

khalid

Unelected Mod
They really need to do something with trading. It was a bit absurd that we were essentially forced into using a 3rd party in the first place. Yet now we are now in a race to see who has the better 3rd party sniper tool.

The sniping is making normal trading even worse, when I thought it couldn't really get much more annoying. Maybe that is a plus side, as more and more people have to page down and down through lists trying to buy something, maybe it will motivate some changes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They really need to do something with trading. It was a bit absurd that we were essentially forced into using a 3rd party in the first place. Yet now we are now in a race to see who has the better 3rd party sniper tool.

The sniping is making normal trading even worse, when I thought it couldn't really get much more annoying. Maybe that is a plus side, as more and more people have to page down and down through lists trying to buy something, maybe it will motivate some changes.
For expensive stuff I feel like it depends on the prevalence of people who sell things by listing things way beyond what they think will work, then slowly ramping down the cost in 5-10% increments vs people who throw underpriced stuff in their stash.

Ex: I'm in the market for a nice physical damage one-handed sword. I'm going to try out the above snipers to see if I can't get a good deal on a newly listed one, but my guess is that anything that's listed lower than a couple standard deviations below the market price has so many people looking for it that even if I have a top-level sniper + reaction time it'll still be tough to get and not worth the effort vs picking out something that's been up for a day or two.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Your time is likely better spent farming the money necessary for a "normal" price item than trying to snipe deals.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
For expensive stuff I feel like it depends on the prevalence of people who sell things by listing things way beyond what they think will work, then slowly ramping down the cost in 5-10% increments vs people who throw underpriced stuff in their stash.

Ex: I'm in the market for a nice physical damage one-handed sword. I'm going to try out the above snipers to see if I can't get a good deal on a newly listed one, but my guess is that anything that's listed lower than a couple standard deviations below the market price has so many people looking for it that even if I have a top-level sniper + reaction time it'll still be tough to get and not worth the effort vs picking out something that's been up for a day or two.

Want to use this? Its been in my stash for a couple of weeks now and you are welcome to use it.
upload_2017-9-7_12-29-2.png

I trade nonstop everyday and have no issues with finding stuff, instead of buying the lowest item priced at 21c I just buy the 22c ones and GG. Not sure what people are trying to in trades but I have 0 issues with poe.trade or finding items.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Your time is likely better spent farming the money necessary for a "normal" price item than trying to snipe deals.
That's what I think my conclusion will be, especially since I generally hate playing trader in every game.
Want to use this? Its been in my stash for a couple of weeks now and you are welcome to use it.
View attachment 153155

I trade nonstop everyday and have no issues with finding stuff, instead of buying the lowest item priced at 21c I just buy the 22c ones and GG. Not sure what people are trying to in trades but I have 0 issues with poe.trade or finding items.
Sure! That's basically what I've been shopping for.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Blizzard D3 AH had sniper bots too.

Not sure how to really deal with that.

Were the sniper bots able to get the information from the servers way before manual players could even see the results?

It isn't simply that the snipers are examining poe.trade and then making a decision quicker than a person can. They use the api to do it way before it even shows up as listed on poe.trade.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hm in D3 I was mashing refresh on some filter I had for item within price and some sort... I'd see things disappear in an instant and later found out bots existed. They only really sniped things that people who didn't know any better put up cheap.

I'm yet to find an item on either I can't find at a fair price but they do absolutely snipe the shit out of steals from ppl who don't know any better.

Not gonna say this isn't infuriating or anything in PoE either or that it's any designer's fault tbh. The currency manipulators and item flippers are a tireless bunch. Many lack a day job and are autistic Lex Luther levels of brilliance that work at their craft tirelessly for nothing but min maxing their pixels to perfection.

To illustrate this PoE issue if you're curious to see the bot horrors yourself, put up say a very high rolled Queen of the Forest for 1c. I (forever a skeptic) did this when I had one drop early in the league and literally had a blinding speed scroll of tells for it, all at about the same time a very short time after posting it.

Edit: Upside - now that I think of it at least there's enough of these fucks doing it that abusers of this are flooded out by other abusers. Downside - so many are doing it you can truly fucking forget scooping a deal ever without also doing this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Were the sniper bots able to get the information from the servers way before manual players could even see the results?

It isn't simply that the snipers are examining poe.trade and then making a decision quicker than a person can. They use the api to do it way before it even shows up as listed on poe.trade.
D3 was worse because even though the timing margins were on the order of a second or two instead of a minute, the purchase and reselling of goods was completely automated. In PoE I don't know that any bots exist that will join a person's group, trade them the currency for the item, then relist that item for a markup. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they existed.

And even if they did exist and made it virtually impossible to get a great deal, you could still get good deals or just buy the average and be unlikely to run into a collision with a sniper.