Path of Exile

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
These point packs seem expensive or is it just me?

Ya i've pumped a couple hundred bucks into the game over the years but it's solely because I know I didn't have to and I've put like 2k hours into it. 'Skins' and stash tabs are the only way this company makes money, tabs being the one thing you -must- purchase (bank inventory slots).

I bought a premium stash tab bundle and regular stash tab bundle (and maybe a couple other special tabs) with the currency I got from buying packs.

Honestly, you can get away with buying 1 currency stash tab, 1 premium stash tab, and maybe two or three extra regular stash tabs and you don't even really need to do this until you know you like the game. If you plan on putting any time into the game though these are must haves. Literally the only required payed content.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've spent probably like $700 bucks on this game. Probably way too much for a single game, but I like it enough. I don't know how many thousands of hours I've played it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here's a fantastic site to help you pick which build is perfectly right for you.

https://wheeldecide.com/e.php?c1=Wa...for+the+10+day+Mayhem+Race?&time=3&width=1200

Also a reminder stash tab sale skipping this weekend due to Black Friday. Coming again next weekend. So if you are just starting off and like the game you can buy some on the weekend sale. For $20 I got a currency tab, extra stash tab bundle, and a premium tab for selling stuff. Cheaper than buying a game and you can play without any of those early on.

Last edited:

Caliane

yeah, as stated. GGG's price points for mtx if you do want to support/buy is kindof silly.
But, you dont have to buy.

Currency stash tab is a godsend. 1-10 premium stash tabs is highly recommended. other stash tabs are just overkill/marginal ease of use.
mtx is entirely extra.

Personally, I think GGG is leaving alot of money on the table. Exclusive MTX. The games population is constantly growing. players join, and see old MTX, that can no longer be obtained. that time spent on content, that is no longer generating money. Permanent exclusives is a terrible idea imho. Should always be "timed" exclusive. "seeker" supporter pack? $60. 1 year exclusive. seeker mtx becomes available 1 year later at 50%.

Then the price of mtx itself..
right now, infernal armor pack 290, on sale. $30 for that old armor set. ffs.

Currently, the vast majority of their income is the supporter packs. Which gives people extra points. Which they dump on random sales, like this, and the mystery boxes.
A very weird system.
Also the real big ticket items. Design a div card, and design a unique. amusingly are not super cost effective. They had to increase the cost, because too many people were buying them, and they couldnt actually keep up. hahah

The point upgrade is something that needs to be restated.
if you buy basic points, you can "upgrade" to a supporter pack with the money spent.
like if you bought 200points today for $20, becuase you are not ready to jump all in at the 30 or 60price of war for the atlas. But you also want to get that currency stash tab, or something.
If, in the next 3 months, you decide, I do want to get that support pack, you can upgrade. Apply that $20 into the $30 pack, and only have to pay and additional $10. (up to 80% of a supporter pack, you can't buy $100 in points, and then just upgrade to a free scholar pack. in that case, $80 of your $100 points, would apply to the $100 pack, and you would need to spent additional $20.)

Points bought today, could be applied to the War for the atlas, or Harbringer packs.
Harbringer will leave the store very soon, and abyss will replace it, within 15 days. Then any points can be applied to abyss.

Last edited:

Caliane

heralds on sale atm. I recommend them. ghostflame herald of ash is awesome.

Divine not to bad either.
These are very good, since SO many builds use the heralds.
30min more on this.

Caliane

its been a long time since I did a spectral throw. I wonder where it sits with volley, and that ranger phys-cold conversion.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Wish they would of put all the chaos/pure box items up for sale during this black Friday deal. Don't feel like paying full price for them when they expansion is released and gambling for them sucks.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If I get a kill with the gladiator's blood explosion, does that count as main hand or off hand kill?

I believe it depends on the skill. Sunder (a common pick with gladiator) only goes off main hand for example. Someone else probably has better deets.

Borzak

If you like...
Sorting thru loot
Not being able to see mobs because of massive loot piles
Having 6 breaches on Tidal Island
Having to reset the coast to a new instance so you can zone into it because 2 named are camping it and you have a driftwood maul only and 1 SP so far lol.
The most coveted item being Wisdom Scrolls.
Having the coast (first system after town) having 20+ strongboxes in it.

Then this race is for you.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Just get to 35 and quit, I finally tried scorching ray for leveling and since I got lucky lifesprig in a2, it was pretty ez run.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Game has a quite a few "cheap" boss fights. Forced damage unless you have a certain amount of speed. I am forced to take a skill gem like blink lets say just to survive...drives me crazy. Especially at low levels. That Sin fight and the fire totem guy are just corny. I really don't want to waste the little resources/money I have on an early/mid game fight.

Good god the randomness of the loot is asinine also. I have literally gotten ZERO items that I would use toward a build I would want. I'm forced to build around the good items that have dropped. Again, wasting resources if I want to change said item that I won't use long enough in leveling seems meh. Collecting items/gear with the intention of building a second character that I would want to play seems how this will go for me. Is there a central location that people trade from? An auction house?

Couple questions.

• Support gems effect everything on an item as long as it's connected in some way? OR does it need to be DIRECTLY connected to the gem I want supported?
  • Let's call them support trigger gems. A gem that says if I take damage, it will trigger a spell? It tells me what it WON'T trigger. But can it trigger a mele ability or a curse? So much happening on screen, I can't tell.
  • How the FUCK do I get the mini map up in the right hand corner? It's full overlay or nothing with tab.
  • Should I be looking at stats or gem slots/connections on gear? I have a few white items that suck ass stat wise with 5/6 connected slots.
  • Are there elemental resist gems, or am I looking for those stats on gear?
  • Are there entire skill tree resets available? I have those 1 point thingys...but I'm balls deep in some trees those are useless.
  • I'm level 50. When do I see orange drops? Or am I still in that purple/yellow phase of the game?
  • Can I equip the same skill gem on different slotted gear, and have a different support gem for that skill? So a leap gem in my head and a leap gem in my boots. One gem with stun support, another with lets say health siphon for enemies hit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Reht

Molten Core Raider
As far as i know:
  • Yes, there needs to be a link between the gem slots (the line between them) for a support gem to affect the skill - orb of fusing can create links between sockets.
  • Go to options > UI > show corner map
  • it's only individual skill resets, not an entire skill tree reset.
  • Can see unique drops from level 1
Haven't been playing long and don't even really know what i don't know, except that knowledge curve in this game is huge, things like vendor recipes, etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
PoE Goods

Go here to search for items based on stats etc. Whisper the player to trade (the site has an automated copy/paste system) and trade in their hideout

For your questions:

• Sockets need to be linked for supports to work. Getting a 5 or 6 link is a big deal
  • For a support to work on something, it nees to match what its tagged, gems will have a list (spell, attack, aoe, projectile, etc)
  • Check you mini map settings for transparency, tab toggles it back and forth
  • Both - if you find an item with good stats think about throwing some jewellers/fusing at it, if its a 5 link base hit it with an alchemy orb
  • only elemental resist gems are auras, one for each element and one that does all 3, but they reserve mana
  • they only reset trees when theres a major patch, so only for standard, temp leagues you need to rely on regrets orbs and the quest rewards
  • orange - unique, very rare, can see many while leveling or none at all. And the ones you do get will probably be vendor trash, sorry
  • Yes you can have multiple skill/support set ups

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Game has a quite a few "cheap" boss fights. Forced damage unless you have a certain amount of speed. I am forced to take a skill gem like blink lets say just to survive...drives me crazy. Especially at low levels. That Sin fight and the fire totem guy are just corny. I really don't want to waste the little resources/money I have on an early/mid game fight.

Good god the randomness of the loot is asinine also. I have literally gotten ZERO items that I would use toward a build I would want. I'm forced to build around the good items that have dropped. Again, wasting resources if I want to change said item that I won't use long enough in leveling seems meh. Collecting items/gear with the intention of building a second character that I would want to play seems how this will go for me. Is there a central location that people trade from? An auction house?

Couple questions.

• Support gems effect everything on an item as long as it's connected in some way? OR does it need to be DIRECTLY connected to the gem I want supported?
  • Let's call them support trigger gems. A gem that says if I take damage, it will trigger a spell? It tells me what it WON'T trigger. But can it trigger a mele ability or a curse? So much happening on screen, I can't tell.
  • How the FUCK do I get the mini map up in the right hand corner? It's full overlay or nothing with tab.
  • Should I be looking at stats or gem slots/connections on gear? I have a few white items that suck ass stat wise with 5/6 connected slots.
  • Are there elemental resist gems, or am I looking for those stats on gear?
  • Are there entire skill tree resets available? I have those 1 point thingys...but I'm balls deep in some trees those are useless.
  • I'm level 50. When do I see orange drops? Or am I still in that purple/yellow phase of the game?
  • Can I equip the same skill gem on different slotted gear, and have a different support gem for that gem? So a leap gem in my head and a leap gem in my boots. One gem with stun support, another with lets say health siphon for enemies hit.

Thanks in advance.
I play the shit of this game but I'm standard. If you need gear or money hit me up. Well here we go......
Support gems effect everything on an item as long as it's connected in some way? OR does it need to be DIRECTLY connected to the gem I want supported? Yes directly connected together but some items like Ngahamu axe and Whispering Ice only requires the gems and no links. Link gems works all together if that makes sense.

Let's call them support trigger gems. A gem that says if I take damage, it will trigger a spell? It tells me what it WON'T trigger. But can it trigger a mele ability or a curse? So much happening on screen, I can't tell. Gem is called "cast when damage taken" (CWDT). You probably over leveled the other gem seup. Level up CWDT gem to around level 3 and the other gems to level 5 or 6 and leave it there.

How the FUCK do I get the mini map up in the right hand corner? It's full overlay or nothing with tab. Open up options and look under UI settings. Check show corner map. That should do it.

Should I be looking at stats or gem slots/connections on gear? I have a few white items that suck ass stat wise with 5/6 connected slots.
Both actually. Gems is what will make your build good. You'll always want 6 links on a chest but if you planning on doing end game maps then go for health and resists.

Are there elemental resist gems, or am I looking for those stats on gear? Unless you REALLY have to. Use gear to get your resists

Are there entire skill tree resets available? I have those 1 point thingys...but I'm balls deep in some trees those are useless. Welcome to PoE lol... It's so easy to gimp your character. No full resets unless a patch thats changes the skill tree. Either you gotta use a fuckton of regrets orbs or start a new character. My BEST advice is use Path of Building program. Download it, watch youtube vidoes on how to use it. Trust me you'll thank me later.

I'm level 50. When do I see orange drops? Or am I still in that purple/yellow phase of the game? Nope no such thing!!! Uniques aka legendaries can drop in at level in any map and alot of them are garbage. Honestly you can do end game shit in full yellows if the stats are right on them.

Can I equip the same skill gem on different slotted gear, and have a different support gem for that gem? So a leap gem in my head and a leap gem in my boots. One gem with stun support, another with lets say health siphon for enemies hit. Yes you can but it's pointless. You only need 1 leap slam skill which mainly for movement depending on the build itself.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

You can use orbs of regret to get an SP point back. I guess if you had enough or bought enough you could do the whole tree. I think when I hit act 10 I had 35 of them and maybe a dozen respec points. But at that point I would consider making a new character, especially since the new league starts Dec. 8.

Lot of people use the 6 link tabba chest piece with no stats at all for a long time so they can get 6 links. Just have to weigh out do you need the extra links compared to a 4 or 5 link with good stats.

Some uniques can work out well. My zerker build was made to be cheap by using almost all uniques and it worked out really well for a cheap zerker/Vp/sunder build. I think most of them I paid 1c for had them drop.

I have multiple gem/equipment/flask set ups depending on the maps (once you finish act 10 you start doing maps and each map will have different stats on that help/punish the character) for like the reflect damage ones and such.

If you look on the official forums under classes they will have build threads, the good ones will have lots of replies and have a step by step on which skills along the way and what to look for in equipment. It helps a lot when you are new, maybe pick one titled cheap. Can follow that and get on with playing and learning and not worrying about the build. The good ones will have lots of info on what to do, and videos and such. Then the next one you will have a better idea of what you want and where you can deviate or whatever.

Also it does't matter where you put a gem, leap can go in boots, gloves, or helm or wherever you have an empty socket. Assuming it's the gem is linked to whatever support gems it needs. Most often the main attack gem goes in the chest piece so it can get 4-5-6 links of support on that gem.

Get an item filter if you haven't already. This site has lots of options. Pick one, this site will tell you how to install it. Narrows down showing stuff you really want to pick up like orbs and certain lvls of gear and such and eliminates all the chaff.

FilterBlast: Get Your Path of Exile Item Filter

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
  • 1Solidarity