Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did anyone pick up Cyclone last night? Wondering how it works with proper supports and how the damage is calculated?

@Pyros, what level did you shift to maps for xp or are you still doing docks post 70's?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm fine with it. I only did minimal testing after they changed it so I don't know how to get the up to 3x regal they supposedly added, but I did figure out that you need exactly ilvl 60 or better rares to get 1 chaos orb, if you have even one item that is ilvl 59 or lower then you get 1 chance orb and some alt shards (aka fucking worthless) Not sure what they were thinking with that kind of jump since you could actually make more in alt shards by just selling the items individually at that point. Didn't bother me too much though because I don't farm anything that drops items below ilvl 60 at this point anyway.
So basically, just vendor everything under level 60 as you get it now, unless you're saving it for an alt or something?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Did anyone pick up Cyclone last night? Wondering how it works with proper supports and how the damage is calculated?

@Pyros, what level did you shift to maps for xp or are you still doing docks post 70's?
Yeah, I picked it up. Had a templar alt that was sitting near the end of Act II, so had him ready to go when the patch dropped. Funny part is when I am heading my duelist to Fellshrine to level it up a 7% quality one dropped, heh. (1 point is 1% radius, so meh.)

Tried it with my current dual wield setup, and with the best 2 hander I got in my stash. The lack of control is a bit of an issue, hard to be efficient, also, mobs have to be pretty tightly grouped, even with the +2 to range passive and Increased Area of Effect. I found the damage to be way too low, and the damage efficiency is only 35, so hard to add much with supports. I mostly ran with Fast Attacks, Mana Leech, Melee Damage, and Increased Area. You're just whirling back and forth over the mobs again and again, LS kills way faster still. They need to up the damage by quite a bit, and raise the efficiency some. They did just buff Incinerate by 12.5%, so here's hoping.

Edit: Here's some info from a dev, second post in this thread -http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/253728

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there a good resources for item & skill gem trade values? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is worth keeping.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cyclone is weird. I wanted to make a new char based on it but I don't like it. I didn't expect D3 WW cause I knew that was unlikely to happen, so really I expected something close to D2 WW. The issue is unlike D2 WW, the aoe is smaller and/or the min distance is bigger in PoE, so you basically cannot chain whirlwind a mob and hit it non stop. You can't triangle it either. It just moves too far, so you spend 25-40% of your time out of range of your intended target spinning in the wind for nothing. You can slow your movement speed like Kripp was trying to do(he had -14% speed) but all that does is once you're out of range of the mob you still move slow as shit and take forever to finish your current spin, and you can't use your spin to move to the next mobs, so it's not really that great either unless you can 100% kill mobs during the first spin.

Damage wise, it's alright. The tooltip DPS is as usual bugged and basically display half the DPS cause it only account for a single hit or something when it should count 2. Even at 2 however the damage isn't exceptional. The only interesting point is the fact you attack twice as fast as your attack speed, which is interesting for procs mostly since everything else is also cut by half in efficiency so that part doesn't matter. Procs are mostly blind, can't use kb as it'll fuck your damage big time, chance to flee the same. Other procs are chance on hit to cause status ailments. I think this is the big thing and the only point where it might be interesting. While 35% efficiency is very low, because it's an attack and with the proper gear, auras and passives, you should be able to proc shocks even on non crits. That's ebcause unlike spells, you can get a very large amount of lightning dmg on items(wake of destruction boots, rings/gloves with 50ish lightning dmg, weapon with 70ish dmg), wrath aura possibly with inner force and then add weapon elemental damage+catalyse to buff that shit up big time. Also Added Lightning for the quality bonus. Once you reach the correct amount to shock, Cyclone will tear mobs apart due to the retarded attack speed(and the fact you're stacking attack speed too). Then add Prolif to it and everything is shocked and dies instantly. Can do a crit variant with dagger build and shadow 30% lightning dmg but I don't know if it's viable hp wise would need to check it out. Can also add tempest shield+added lightning+prolif and rely on a high block shield and possibly on block talents.

The biggest issue is you can do more or less that same shit with Cleave, and Cleave is better if you use dual wield, by like a very large margin. It has large aoe(granted it's only in front but the base is larger so aoe passives are also larger), it does a fuckton more damage, it doesn't move you around. You could if you wanted use a prolif/lightning based ele cleave just the same too, and while cleave attacks quite a lot slower even with DW, it also hits that much harder so you don't have to go too high on lightning dmg to actually proc shocks(both hands benefit each from your lightning dmg, then all that damage is added in one single hit so cleave will often hit as hard as a spell with the proper elemental buffs and conc effect). If you could dagger cleave or claw cleave I think no one would bother using this. For other weapon types I don't think you should bother cycloning instead of cleaving, not with the current values.

Finally as physical, it seems to be absolutely awful and I don't really see a point of going phys with it. It does get 4% phys per point but that's like a lot of other melee skills, and besides stacking life leech there isn't much of a point and I don't quite see why you'd be doing that over killing stuff faster. I guess maybe in a super high health high lifeleech high liferegen build with good chaos resist so you can run blood rage. You'd be tankier than an ele cyclone, but you'd kill a lot slower most likely especially since armor on mobs would reduce more dmg on cyclone than other attacks(2small hits vs 1big hits is always worth in physical).

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a good resources for item & skill gem trade values? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is worth keeping.
Items are gonna be tough because of all of the different builds. Generally though resists x2-3 (chaos especially) + life + any damage mod (ele, phys, ias%, life leech) is going to be good enough to sell. There is a ton of outliers due to all of the random builds that are worth a shit ton and things like 30% MS on boots or high IR / IQ items.

GMP + Portal I think top the normal gems followed by LMP and thats about it.
Gems quality over 10% on most = good.
Gems like Faster Attacks, Lightning Strike, EK, LMP, and on and on that are major parts of builds at 20%Q are worth 2-3 exalteds.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blood magic and blood rage 0 quality will sell for 1 alchem I think. So will spell totem

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Items are gonna be tough because of all of the different builds. Generally though resists x2-3 (chaos especially) + life + any damage mod (ele, phys, ias%, life leech) is going to be good enough to sell. There is a ton of outliers due to all of the random builds that are worth a shit ton and things like 30% MS on boots or high IR / IQ items.

GMP + Portal I think top the normal gems followed by LMP and thats about it.
Gems quality over 10% on most = good.
Gems like Faster Attacks, Lightning Strike, EK, LMP, and on and on that are major parts of builds at 20%Q are worth 2-3 exalteds.
Thanks for the tips!

For skill gems, is it safe to assume that if it is available as a starting gem or a Hillock reward, it is worthless (assuming it isn't a quality gem)?

I've been saving the 4L (and if I find any, 5L & 6L) gear I find of any rarity. These are worth something, right?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah starter gems are caca or anything from quests generally, sometimes you can dump them quick for an alch. 4L sell for an alch each also. I dont have any 5L but I have a tab full of jewelry and a bunch of tabs or armor if you need any help gear wise for free getting started.

Going to be running maps again tonight and this weekend some, Ive got about 40 of the level 66 to burn through asap if any RR players want in. IGN: Sussark

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah starter gems are caca or anything from quests generally, sometimes you can dump them quick for an alch. 4L sell for an alch each also. I dont have any 5L but I have a tab full of jewelry and a bunch of tabs or armor if you need any help gear wise for free getting started.

Going to be running maps again tonight and this weekend some, Ive got about 40 of the level 66 to burn through asap if any RR players want in. IGN: Sussark
Thanks for the offer! If you have something useful to a 40s Ground Slam Marauder, I may have to take you up on it.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hit me up I literally have a bank tab of just badass jewelry that im sure i can upgrade, other slots might be tough might have helm and off slots.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hit me up I literally have a bank tab of just badass jewelry that im sure i can upgrade, other slots might be tough might have helm and off slots.
I've got CI / fire witch build at lvl 72, would be up for joining on any maps. in game name kazoraa(default league)

edit: spelled my own name wrong

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any advice on building decent jewelry? I'm sorely in need of some ring upgrades for my maurader, but I seem to get totally boned on alch-orbing rings up to a rare item. I'll pick up an ilvl 49 iron ring off the ground, slap an alch orb on it, and get a level 19-24 ring. I've never had as much trouble building an item as I do with jewelery, I just seem to constantly get stuff 20-30 levels below me, which is next to useless.

Also, does the quality of a weapon have any bearing on the additional stats outside of damage? I have a freeze pulse witch as well, and I never actually use her wands for anything but the added spell damage + stats, do I even need to max out quality on wands I attempt to build for that character? Seems like the quality only effects the wand damage.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I currently have a 74 LA Marauder (MrWinks) and a 58 Power Siphon wander (MrFrost) which I am currently working on getting map ready (both on default). If any of you are wanting to run maps I have a friend who has a dual spork totem templar and is working on a blood magic freeze pulser to run maps with.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Jewelry is always going to show much lower req level on it because of the mechanics of ilvl and req level. On any given item, you have 2 things checked to determine required level. First is the base item, basically what the white version has for req. For weapons and armor there's better and better versions, but for iron rings the base version is always 1. Second is the level requirement for the highest mod you rolled, mods being capped by the ilvl of the item. However and that's the important part, it's only 80% of that level req. Meaning if the mod you rolled requires ilvl 50 on the item, it won't make it req lvl 50 if you roll it, it'll make it req lvl 40 only. As such it's rare to have a ring anywhere near your actual lvl req unless you roll higher ilvl rings.

Also the higher the ilvl, the more potential shitty rolls you can get and as such those won't increase the lvl req much. For example if you roll 48health, which is still pretty decent, the req would only be lvl 20.(24*.8 and it rounds up apparently). On a lvl 44 ring, you can roll 7 different health mods so rolling a high one isn't necessarily that easy, when you even roll the right prefix.

It's very much like the lottery, your chances of getting a good ring are low. You can craft a ring bit by bit but it's very expensive. You take a high ilvl ring, scour it so it's white if it wasn't, transmute it then alt+augment until you find 2 good mods(generally that'd be health for prefix and resist or attack speed for suffix), then regal that which is 3 alchs basically and hope you roll a good 3rd stat. From there if it's really good you can exalt, or you can sell it for a profit, and if it sucks you start it again with a scouring.

I've made quite a lot of rings and amulets and while I've gotten lucky a couple of times, most of the crap I made went into the chaos recipe(prenerf) and now I'd just vendor it for alts. It's not really profitable, but it's not so bad either, I got a few ok rolled neck I sold for a few GCPs each so it covered most of what I invested over time. However at times I rolled 12-15alchs on lvl 60 rings and amulets I found in felshrine, and got a grand total of jackshit out of it.

You might be better off buying stuff from other players directly, the cost is high in general but there's no luck involved.

As for quality yes quality on caster weapons is useless.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have any advice on building decent jewelry? I'm sorely in need of some ring upgrades for my maurader, but I seem to get totally boned on alch-orbing rings up to a rare item. I'll pick up an ilvl 49 iron ring off the ground, slap an alch orb on it, and get a level 19-24 ring. I've never had as much trouble building an item as I do with jewelery, I just seem to constantly get stuff 20-30 levels below me, which is next to useless.

Also, does the quality of a weapon have any bearing on the additional stats outside of damage? I have a freeze pulse witch as well, and I never actually use her wands for anything but the added spell damage + stats, do I even need to max out quality on wands I attempt to build for that character? Seems like the quality only effects the wand damage.
Ive got jewelry that's really decent if you tell me what kind of build you have I can most likely set you up with some winners. IGN Sussark

@Past just added you but you are already on my list, let me know whenever I'm always down for maps.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have my wander almost into act 3 merciless and am needing a wand upgrade. Does any of you have a decent Imbued wand with 3 elemental mods on it? I've tried trying to find something on the PoE forums, but it seems every time I find a wand that would fit the current offer is 10+ exalteds and all I have are GCPs (not sure the exchange ratio between the two).

Dashivax

N00b
4-5 GCPs per exalted, and for the wand you are looking for 5-10 exalted sounds about right. This is for hardcore, I have no idea what the economy is like in softcore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So for those of you that have spent a lot of time in Hardcore, what are some basic tips for progressing to end-game maps?

I have multiple softcore characters in the high 60s/low 70s, but each have probably died 50+ times on the way there. Is the key to just grind levels so that you are severely overleveled for each area? I see a lot of people also talking about using Alt-F4 frequently to kill the game if you get into trouble, is that a viable tactic? I would think your character would still linger in-game for a bit, but I guess not?

Getting a little bored with softcore now that I feel like I have a firm grasp on multiple different playstyles, and looking to save myself a little grief if I can get some pointers
smile.png

smile.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really the only thing to make a successful HC char is to build with a lot of health. You should have 200%health by 70(so 87-90points or so), in my opinion. You can do with less but that's just gonna be riskier, and that's even more of an issue on a first char without a bunch of health gear lying around and stuff. That severely limits you offensive options and such, so getting a good weapon or quality spells or whatever is important, and so is carefully selecting only the strongest passives for dmg purposes.

Other than that though, there isn't really any trick like grinding a ton. I mean you grind but that's just the way to level in this game I feel, rush to ledge, run it a few times until you have enough levels to keep going, rush western forest, grind until enough levels, rush docks, grind until enough levels, rinse repeat. I generally do Ledge till 9 and don't bother grinding it in cruel or merc, western forest to 22 in normal, 44-46 in cruel and I don't do western in merc(too dangerous if you desync), docks to 32 in norm, 52 in cruel, until whatever you want in merc but at least 70+. And in merc mostly my goal is rushing to Felshrine, avoid side quests areas especially flicker pirates and skeleton rhoas, and grind Felshrine till 64-68 depending on the build to get a good amount of hp to progress, kill vaal and grind sarn/docks until maps.

But in none of these I grind until I overlevel a lot, I usually stop when I'm the same level as these zones, sometimes I go a couple levels higher depending on the build and what you get next and how you feel about your gear and stuff, but other than in merc felshrine I don't overgrind areas. Merc Vaal is scary though so I always spend more time at that point building up and making sure I have as much hp as I can before I go there. Also Felshrine drop maps at a semi decent rate so it's a decent place to grind at, even though sarn is probably better but vaal can and will kill your char if you're not careful while there's really nothing dangerous on the way to felshrine.