Path of Exile

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I see a lot of recommendations to farm City of Sarn in Act 3, but what the hell do people do about the named guy Perpetus? No matter the difficulty, he ALWAYS kills me a couple times on softcore. Do you just avoid him? Goddamn etheral knives + beartrap unique is just absolutely brutal. I imagine I'd jsut run from him like a scared little girl in hardcore. I don't think there's any mob outside of the act bosses(and mainly just Vaal out of those) that I've died to more than Perpetus.

Elerion

N00b
Don't kill him. Just hug the south west wall and you'll never meet him. That's also the fastest path between exits, so it works out well enough. If you do run into him, exit out and log back in. He's not worth the trouble.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah or just keep running, but avoiding him is generally the best course of action, depending on your build and gear at that point though you can just kill him if you happen to run into him. It's not often but it does happen even when hugging south west wall, like 1/30 clears or whatever. I know on my EA though even without a granite and like 400base armor, with 4k hp I could just tank the traps and blow him up in like 1 volley of explosive arrows so was never a problem.

If you're uncomfortable with Sarn you can stay in Felshrine for pretty much just as long, it's just golems tend to suck to kill for a lot of builds so it blows when it's a rare and you have to skip it or spend 1minute fighting it.

I personally haven't farmed Sarn that much, I mostly do Felshrine, then when I'm high enough I kill Vaal and at that point if you can kill vaal, you can do docks so I just go there straight away. Having someone open a TP to docks directly or joining a pub game is pretty useful though(but pub games in merc act3 are pretty rare) as otherwise you have to do the zones inbetween and I find them more dangerous than the docks themselves.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I like City of Sarn because it's such a fast and efficient reset. You don't need to backtrack one bit, you just run and kill, run and kill, it's perfect and just like Ledge and Felshrine. Whereas farming Docks you always have to backtrack from the dead ends, it's much harder to reset and restart, etc. Maybe I'm just farming Docks wrong or something but it doesn't seem nearly as efficient to me.

As for Perpetus, yeah just be careful if you run into him. I've found that you rarely, rarely run into him if you stay left and follow the wall the entire time. Don't run too far into the ruins to open chests, etc. If you do that then you shouldn't run into him really. I've never died to him and never had much of a problem killing him though. If you are dying to him regularly then you should probably stick to Felshrine farming until you get some better gear.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well if you run into a massive deadend in docks, you just TP out and remake one. There isn't really a need to backtrack, but you need to use TPs and while they're cheap it's still something you're not gonna gain as a result. Other issue is it can be deadly, even when super geared. LMP rare dogs with a haste aura can and will rape your face so you always need to check the mods on dogs for LMP and if you see a haste LMP just running the fuck away and resetting tends to be the best course of action. With all that said, Docks is slightly higher lvl than Sarn/Felshrine, so it's quite a lot better xp, and you can find high ilvl items, even though for most mods that doesn't really matter compared to Sarn.

Matter of taste really, depends on your build and shit, farm what you want it's no big deal for the most part.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've decided to create a new alt, most likely a witch but possibly a shadow with three things set in stone: Double curses, Chaos Innoculation and double totems. Now, I've seen that there are different builds for this. Spark/fork, Ethereal Knives, Incinerate (?), Freezing pulse etc. I'm not entirely sure what I want to go for, which is why I figured I'd ask all of you!

Something I'm very interested in is the possibility of using two spells, like one totem that spouts sparks and one that does incinerate or something - would this work?

Besides the totems and curses, I guess most people stock up on bear traps and toss them around, is this a requirement or simply recommended so you don't stand around all the time? (I already have a 100% summoner-character)

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a summoner witch (level 60 or so just hit last difficulty level) and I also have a freezing pulse with FP main attacking and ice spear totem secondary attack. So far my FP witch has been a lot more fun. You need better get and I had 3 tabs of rares stocked up from my summoner to draw on but my kill speed is light years faster then my summoner. I may seem fragile at 400 hp and 700 ES at level 45 but my dps is 600 and my resists are all 75 exist chaos. I just finished all of the bandits without coming close to dying.

The important thing with an FP witch is gear. I am getting to the stage where I need a 5l chest and I don't have the exalted it's going to take to get one
frown.png

frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Finally tried out hardcore for the first time last night. Definitely adds a much stronger feeling of panic to certain situations. First character got destroyed by goddamn flicker-striking lightning dudes in the ship graveyard cave at level 12. Saw a pack of blues coming my way, tried to run away, and couldn't get away fast enough.

Fun times

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you mean me I have the following stats

Level 45 Witch +\- 3
400 HP +\- 50
700 ES +\- 50
600 DPS
75% FR
75% CR
75% LR
10% Chaos Resist

I run FP - LMP - Faster Casting - Faster Projectiles
Spell Totem - IS - LMP - Fork
Clarity - Discipline - Reduced Mana

I've got fire trap - bear trap - blind on backup but haven't had to use them in forever.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, casters get it pretty easy. I have a 66 fire/summoner witch that I've been running maps with since like level 62-63. Rarely ever dies or even gets hit.

Fireball - LMP - Fire Pen
Firestorm - Ignite - Crit - Culling Strike
6 Zombies w/8k hp + 2 Spectres
Skelly totem
Minion Instability

1k HP 900 ES
No resist, like deep in the negative.

If I run into any problem mobs, totem + firestorm annihilates them while I chill far from the action. Otherwise it's mostly fireball spam, which is hella strong. Really wish the game was more balanced. My 59 LS duelist takes 5 times longer to kill shit, while getting pummeled. Just can't seem to keep his damage high enough while still being able to take hits. I really like the totem mechanic, I just wish it wasn't so required to have one. Or minions. Currently leveling a FP/Arc witch for a little variety. Fire is so easy it gets kinda boring.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Need some help with my build. Trying to do a CI/fire witch build, without really any summoner stuff. Anyone have a good spec for this? I feel like my dps is lacking. If I could spam fire trap I'd be set:/ am lvl 74 and I think I put too many points into ES nodes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Need some help with my build. Trying to do a CI/fire witch build, without really any summoner stuff. Anyone have a good spec for this? I feel like my dps is lacking. If I could spam fire trap I'd be set:/ am lvl 74 and I think I put too many points into ES nodes.
Fire does ok damage if you have a Searing Touch. Just use 2 fire traps and fireball with conc effect and LMP or GMP. If you're having issues most likely it's a gear issue, like not having a 5L or a good searing touch. I'd use the 5L chest for fireball, like Fireball, Conc Effect, Faster Casting, Life Leech(with ghost reaver), LMP or GMP depending on tastes, I think I'd rather go LMP myself but I see most people going GMP, it's more dmg if you shotgun and more coverage. Then Searing Touch needs to have decently high mods and I'd put at least 2 fire traps in it. If you somehow can get a 5L though on it, I'd put fireball in it it's gonna do more dmg that way. Otherwise yeah get 2 fire traps so you can semi spam them, purity and discipline aura with clarity with the rest of the mana you have, decoy totem or skeletotem up to you, if you're close I'd grab the totem health node if going decoy, but skele should do the job without the need for it, enfeeble and flammability curses to use depending on the mobs and that should be fine.

For the build I'd probably start with something like that:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...-0Tm3GnliuWAc=

Then from there, depending on the numbers I end up with which I'm not too sure about since I haven't played CI yet, I'd invest the next 20points into the shadow starting area by the fastest path, or I would get the ES nodes in the middle grabbing the 3% cast speed on one side and the 40%mana regen on the other. Mana nodes are also based on assumption that they might be needed, which isn't necessarily the case I guess, but I'd want to run Purity/Discipline/Clarity at least so might need some mana. If the top big node isn't needed, can probably save 1point or something. Double curse might also not be needed so you could remove most of the points up there, grab Serpent Stance from the bottom instead. Stat points are also based on possibility, not necessity.

Standard build I think.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I see a lot of recommendations to farm City of Sarn in Act 3, but what the hell do people do about the named guy Perpetus? No matter the difficulty, he ALWAYS kills me a couple times on softcore. Do you just avoid him? Goddamn etheral knives + beartrap unique is just absolutely brutal. I imagine I'd jsut run from him like a scared little girl in hardcore. I don't think there's any mob outside of the act bosses(and mainly just Vaal out of those) that I've died to more than Perpetus.
When you get hit with the bear trap you can still use leap slam, and I assume teleport. It helps a lot with the farm as there is generally a nice cluster of mobs in his little area.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Easy way to dominate perpetus is bear traps + decoy totem, you can literally chain decoy totems on any unique or rare that wont 1 shot them and keep them locked down.

What kills me is physical reflect, if I dont look at every single boss 1 rain of arrows one shots me. Last night the damn corpse explosion unique got me on some map too.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fire does ok damage if you have a Searing Touch. Just use 2 fire traps and fireball with conc effect and LMP or GMP. If you're having issues most likely it's a gear issue, like not having a 5L or a good searing touch. I'd use the 5L chest for fireball, like Fireball, Conc Effect, Faster Casting, Life Leech(with ghost reaver), LMP or GMP depending on tastes, I think I'd rather go LMP myself but I see most people going GMP, it's more dmg if you shotgun and more coverage. Then Searing Touch needs to have decently high mods and I'd put at least 2 fire traps in it. If you somehow can get a 5L though on it, I'd put fireball in it it's gonna do more dmg that way. Otherwise yeah get 2 fire traps so you can semi spam them, purity and discipline aura with clarity with the rest of the mana you have, decoy totem or skeletotem up to you, if you're close I'd grab the totem health node if going decoy, but skele should do the job without the need for it, enfeeble and flammability curses to use depending on the mobs and that should be fine.

For the build I'd probably start with something like that:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...-0Tm3GnliuWAc=

Then from there, depending on the numbers I end up with which I'm not too sure about since I haven't played CI yet, I'd invest the next 20points into the shadow starting area by the fastest path, or I would get the ES nodes in the middle grabbing the 3% cast speed on one side and the 40%mana regen on the other. Mana nodes are also based on assumption that they might be needed, which isn't necessarily the case I guess, but I'd want to run Purity/Discipline/Clarity at least so might need some mana. If the top big node isn't needed, can probably save 1point or something. Double curse might also not be needed so you could remove most of the points up there, grab Serpent Stance from the bottom instead. Stat points are also based on possibility, not necessity.

Standard build I think.
Thanks that staff is definitely nice, I am pretty new and hadn't seen that yet. How much does it generally go for? I am pretty poor too.

Just picked up a second fire trap, gonna try that out.

I was excited when I recently landed chain , but am seeing serious mana issues with it, so need to figure out my plan for that as well.

nescio_sl

shitlord
I just started playing this game when i get tired of dota 2. i wanted to start a fun AOE spell caster, can anyone recommend me some builds? witch or templar? fire / ice / lightning?