Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
From reddit lol.

t3_7xxze6

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Playing around in path of building with my character. I imported my items/skills and such. When I change to an item from my inventory on items my calcs don't change. My in game resist show 130, if I change to another belt it goes to 40. But in path of building when I change to that belt I got from import the dps or resist doesn't change. Anyone know how to update it or refresh it?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Based on the recommendation a few pages back, I played through the game once with a sunder duelist (cleave apparently gets better only later on). Was fairly smooth overall except for the bosses, which turned into a complete shitshow around the spider endboss. I'm kinda fed up with grid patterns, 3 pools in the same colour as the surrounding environment and an additional 7 bouncing balls of fuckyou for good measure for the moment.
Anyways, other than this build, what's a good setup to start with in the new league? I had a quick look at the first map Zana gave me and promptly died. It has become a bit difficult to approach the packs, because they have insane burst right from the edge of the screen.

Also, how do you progress into the map grind? Where do you tend to find them and where do you go if you don't have some? Another thing I'm not quite sure on is the crafting. At what level is it worth it to invest currency into items and how do you approach this the right way without wasting a ton of resources?

Borzak

Lot to crafting. That's about all I'm qualified to say on that. Did you run a standard map or a magic map with mods on it that you got from Zana?

As far as what build for the upcoming league I guess everyone is kind of in wait and see mode since ascendancies are changing and such.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The most cost effective way to craft is to essence something (preferably shaper/elder items) and hope you get lucky. The next most cost effective way is to spam chaos orbs, which can be really demoralizing to drop 50-100 on something and get nothing out of it, but you might get really lucky sometimes you never know. The next most cost effective way is for rich people, and I'm guessing you're not gonna be rich enough for that without more experience under your belt.

There's various tricks to craft very specific items that have varying rates of cost effectiveness, but in general it's almost never cheaper to craft than it is to buy what you're trying to craft.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Based on the recommendation a few pages back, I played through the game once with a sunder duelist (cleave apparently gets better only later on). Was fairly smooth overall except for the bosses, which turned into a complete shitshow around the spider endboss. I'm kinda fed up with grid patterns, 3 pools in the same colour as the surrounding environment and an additional 7 bouncing balls of fuckyou for good measure for the moment.
Anyways, other than this build, what's a good setup to start with in the new league? I had a quick look at the first map Zana gave me and promptly died. It has become a bit difficult to approach the packs, because they have insane burst right from the edge of the screen.

Also, how do you progress into the map grind? Where do you tend to find them and where do you go if you don't have some? Another thing I'm not quite sure on is the crafting. At what level is it worth it to invest currency into items and how do you approach this the right way without wasting a ton of resources?

You'll get more help if you post your character here. You'll likely have to take your character off private.

I'm guessing your resists aren't capped and you're sitting at 3k HP.

The most "serious" crafting I do in this game is scouring superior flasks, baubling them to 20%, and then alt spamming. I'm hardcore. It is actually a decent way to dump glassblower baubles and alterations(if you aren't alt-regal crafting a weapon) since divine flasks of staunching sell pretty well even late into the league.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

What level are you, and what's your current HP? If you're getting bursted by packs in maps it sounds like your hp/level is too low. Either grab more life nodes on the tree or make sure all your gear has high level +HP mods on it (Like 70+ hp's). Also, did you switch to cleave yet? Don't forget cleave has the threshold jewel that gives you fortify which reduces all damage by 25%. If you need more levels, you can always grind blood aqueduct a little, its pretty insane experience even with it being lower level.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Yeah my gear is horrendous and the additional hit to the resistances from clearing the game is obviously not helping either. It's kinda funny how you get punished from beating the final boss - I get it, it's how it's always been since the early Diablo days but in those games you noticeably restarted the game in a higher difficulty. The map Zana gave me was actually a boosted one, I just did assuming it's not a big deal since it's the first one the game officially gave me to introduce the system.

So in terms of crafting and spending currency items, it sounds like it's pretty much whatever until you get into the range of chaos/regal orbs. I haven't found a good sword in a long while, can I just blow my orbs of alteration and hope I eventually get a good phys mod on it to replace my old crap?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah my gear is horrendous and the additional hit to the resistances from clearing the game is obviously not helping either. It's kinda funny how you get punished from beating the final boss - I get it, it's how it's always been since the early Diablo days but in those games you noticeably restarted the game in a higher difficulty. The map Zana gave me was actually a boosted one, I just did assuming it's not a big deal since it's the first one the game officially gave me to introduce the system.

So in terms of crafting and spending currency items, it sounds like it's pretty much whatever until you get into the range of chaos/regal orbs. I haven't found a good sword in a long while, can I just blow my orbs of alteration and hope I eventually get a good phys mod on it to replace my old crap?
You also get 2 skill points, which isn't a small deal.

At your point if you have a few chaos orbs, just open poe.trade and you can pretty much gear out your character according to the guide, since the season is ending and everything is going to be moved to standard in less than two weeks. 5 link body armor with some resists and HP, some unique weapon since those rain from the sky and cap your resists and max your hp in all the other slots. Good to go at least until t9-10.

Borzak

And yes even at lvl 91 there are mods I don't run even on low tier maps like certain reflect damage and suff. Will develop and eye on which mods to run and which ones to reroll or sell 3 alike to a vendor for a standard map one tier higher and such. Just like items you can reroll magic maps pretty cheaply. Rare maps will require a scour to start over, or as mentioned sell 3 to a vendor for one of the next tier. If the league was lasting longer you can save maps for another class as well. Reflect will kill my gladiator almost instantly, but is nothing to my scorching ray necro since it's a DoT. Just random ideas.

I try to finish the merc lab right before finishing act 10 to avoid the downgrade of resist. Normally get all the ascendancy done except for uber lab done. You can use a flask to up resist as well if you need to. Always flask, all the time. Join trade 820 chat channel if you need a carry for the various labs including uber. Ascendancies heolp a lot. in trade 820 it's all about getting lab carries (sometimes for a fee sometimes free), locate the trials needed so you can do uber lab, get help with challenges and such. Nothing like the regular trade channel which is infested with price fixers and such.

If you are in the guild there are several weapons in the guild stash that would fit a new player, at least for short term. I'm always broke and always super slow, cause I take the time to look at stuff as I go when I get done with a map instead of throwing it in a stash tab.

Some people will reroll the item class they are looking for with the mod they want. Then augment it and hope they get what they want. Relatively easy to reroll it at this point. Then when they get those where they want they regal it and hope for the best as opposed to alch from normal to rare. Don't forget you can scour rare items and start over.

Suggest path of building as well. Can really help narrow down what can roll on a certain item instead of hoping for something it can't even roll. Looking at the various class of items for say 1h sword will give you an idea about implicits, prefix, and suffixes and what each class of 1h sword can roll to give you an idea on what to keep an eye on.

If the league wasn't ending in two weeks or so I would say at that point trade/sell your achs for chaos and buy what you are looking for with the chaos till you get an idea of how to craft and get more into higher i-lvl items to craft. Just me tho. Early in a league you can buy items that will be an upgrade for just alchs. At this point guessing most stuff listed on poe trade for that will be someone afk/not interested but never cleared out thier bank tab.

If you really get into PoE and crafting, wait till stash tabs go one sale (I thnk on average once a month) and get a currency tab (best stash tab in game), and premium tabs so you can sell stuff easily. I think I paid $20 one time for currency and premium stash tab bunch. Money well spent if you play the game at all and care for it. Will improve quality of life a LOT.

I also suggest POE trade macro, it will allow you to hover over an item and ctrl C to see how many sockets it can have, how high the rolls all for each suffix and prefix. Super handy, will also ctrl D to lookup prices on poe trade for the item. It can be hit or miss on prices, but works well for stuff with limited number of rolls like uniques. Will give you an idea quickly what is vendor stuff and what might be worth selling. There's also some youtube videos on it and how to use it. Can be really helpful to a new player. This late in league tho not nearly as helpful as early league when people are buying stuff much more.

GitHub - PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro: Price checking script for Path of Exile.

Hopefully that will help, but I'm a scrub so.... and probably some screw ups in my info. If you're not a member of the guild, join. Of course it's deader than shit right now going from 20+ on at a time to 1-3 at most because end of league. But learning the ropes now is the best time so you can hit the ground running at start of new league.

Last edited:

Borzak

One thing I forgot to ask, did you follow a build guide or did you just "wing" it with sunder? Following a thought out build guide with equipment, skill points and such is 10000x better than just winging it. So many items and skills in game that need to work together.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I did follow a guide yes but for the most part the gear was kinda whatever. I have to make due with what I can find anyways, not getting into the trading aspect 2 weeks before the end of the current league. Thanks for that macro link, it seems quite useful. Definitely installling that before I really get into this game.

Borzak

If you can manage an invite to the guild, not an officer - there's a lot of stuff geared for someone kind of starting out that probably would be an upgrade.

POE trade will show if someone is online/afk or not. Trading is kind of hit or miss right now tho. Being new definetly look at builds marked as "cheap" or relatively "cheap". Some if you look close will be like 20 ex or some such stuff.

A good starting point for a league is the jugg set up for running labs. You can literally just walk into labs like even uber lab and right thru the traps and such. Can farm labs for enchants and gear early on.

His build guides are great. He has a playlist on starting out as well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I did follow a guide yes but for the most part the gear was kinda whatever. I have to make due with what I can find anyways, not getting into the trading aspect 2 weeks before the end of the current league. Thanks for that macro link, it seems quite useful. Definitely installling that before I really get into this game.
You could link your char, go to the official website, login, find the char, make the profile public and link it here.

Generally speaking there's a few things that can lead to lots of deaths:
  • Not enough life% in the tree. If you've been following a guide, it might be fine, but sometimes builds use weird setups reliant on a lot of jewels and good gear and don't get enough. I don't really know what's a good % nowadays as I don't play nearly enough, but kinda needs to "feel" it out. I wanna say about a solid 3rd of your points should be going into life based or survivability nodes, maybe close to 40-45% of your points in some cases
  • Not enough flat life on gear. Realistically unless you find a godlike rare for damage or a good unique, you should have life in every slot. If you do find a good unique that doesn't have life, you definitely want life in every other slots. It doesn't have to be high tier life, but a fair amount, I wanna say 50-60+ on average when you enter maps. Flat life is important to make your life % scale, the same way your life % is important to make your flat life scale, you need both
  • Resists, they have to be capped. This can be annoying or trivial depending on the char and your luck, but this isn't really something you can avoid. You can maybe run around with one uncapped resist at times but by the end of the story you should be capped. You can use resist nodes in the passive tree to top yourself off and respec out of them later. In general it means you want resist on every pieces of gear, with some pieces having several resists, and like the life gear thing, if you have uniques with no resists, it means you need to compensate harder.
  • Masters, a HUGE help for the resist issue is making sure you level Haku to 4 and Elreon/Tora to 3. These 3 masters let you add resist to piece of gear for a nominal fee(there's 2 tiers, the 2nd tier is pretty expensive but isn't a lot better than the first tier so you're fine with the basics until top tier gear), Elreon does rings/amulets, Tora belt/boots, Haku all the rest of the armor. It's pretty easy to find say a belt with 80life and one resist and then craft a 2nd resist on it and have a really nice basic belt like this. You can also say find boots with life and movespeed but no resist and add one that'll make them useable. They also work for adding life, or for boots movement speed, to make meh gear fairly good. You can generally kinda get them there just doing random quests, but they should be priority to do the daily quests if they're not there yet.
  • Flasks. Life flasks tend to be phased out in endgame by good builds, but early on, and even sometimes endgame, they're important. Once you reach the last couple of tiers of flasks, it's good to grab a white one, use 4 glassblower baubles on them to get them to 20% quality, then enchant them with a transmute and roll the mods until you get the right ones with alts/augments. You generally want 2 life flasks to start with, one that's instant(Bubbling for 50%instant 50% over short duration or Seething for purely instant) and one that lasts longer to heal up when you're not in need of emergency healing/need to counteract dots. The instant should be Divine, the long one should be Eternal(so it's long but not too long). Can just use 2 instant flasks too. It also helps having a defense flask of some sort, Basalt or Granite tend to be the favorites. You also want to rolls your other flasks in general to have one to remove Bleeding(of Staunching) and one to remove Curses(of Warding) and then less important until later, some to remove Freeze/Shock
  • Movement skills/movement speed/knowledge of the fights. I put these together because there's a lot of stuff in this game that you have to avoid entirely. If you're super farmed and have high damage you can facetank with leech, or just outright kill shit before it gets dangerous, but early on, you can't do this, and your best bet to not die is to not get hit. Knowledge obviously comes with times, learning patterns, tells and just general mob behaviour stuff, and the movement lets you get out of it in a good time. A quicksilver flask is generally a good start, having a secondary movement skill is great too, especially if you link it to fortify if it's melee, since that lets you also increase your defenses

After that there's a lot of secondary layers of defenses and shit that gets more complex, but the basics will take you comfortably to endgame, at which point you'll have to worry about evasion/dodge/block, endurance charges, Mind over Matter, Vaal Pact and all the other ways to deal with shit. You can use these to an extent to fix some other issues, for example End charges give resists so if you have the room having Enduring Cry to generate them can cap your resists, even if it's kinda clunky and annoying. Can also use a Decoy totem to well, act as a decoy.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
i know sites thta list the affixes for items, but is there anywhere with info on how common certain affixes are compared to others? I ve probably poured 2k alts now into this ES shield ive been trying to craft but havent hit t1 spell damage even once. I've hit t1 in just about everythign else like 10 times.
justwondering if im just wasting my time or if im getting incredibly unlucky

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't get how the new "Tier 3" "Tier 8" etc works. They seem to make the information around loot and look ranges much much more complicated than it needs to be.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't get how the new "Tier 3" "Tier 8" etc works. They seem to make the information around loot and look ranges much much more complicated than it needs to be.

Not sure what you mean? The new addition to tooltips showing what tier your rolls are? Those just let people know the ranges they can divine items at and whether or not it's the best possible roll.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

For a good phys sword without trading, there's several crafting/recipe ways to go. Get a good base like a corsair or eternal and look up the recipe for using a rustic sash for phys%, or use one of the phys essences. After that use one of the vagan crafts for flat phys or atk speed. Or just alt spam till you get something decent and vagan craft from there. You can also try chancing a scaeva which is a decent starter sword for end game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
i know sites thta list the affixes for items, but is there anywhere with info on how common certain affixes are compared to others? I ve probably poured 2k alts now into this ES shield ive been trying to craft but havent hit t1 spell damage even once. I've hit t1 in just about everythign else like 10 times.
justwondering if im just wasting my time or if im getting incredibly unlucky
These stats aren't known. The only thing you need to make sure is that you're rolling a shield with a high enough ilvl to get it. 2k alts is very little when it comes to rolling a top tier mod in the end though. There's a reason not that many people bother trying to craft from nothing(I mean it's not the only reason obviously, the regals/scours and exalteds and having lvl 8masters is a lot more expensive/annoying, but the alt process is tedious and expensive enough that it weeds out people right at the start)