Path of Exile

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just started playing a couple days ago and after reading the last couple pages, I agree with Kirun. The sheer amount of reading and research..on just a few builds..holy hell. The acronyms as well.. listening to people even try to do beginner guides it can seem like trying to understand a foreign language. The in game 'tutorial' is terribad.. I found a few silver coins and was making prophecies and had no clue what was going on (still dont really). There are just so many overlapping systems, currency and game mechanics. I have a lvl 25 but started on the bestiary league but looks like that is going away soon anyway. I do like the huge scope of skills and abilities making builds so varied. It is rather impressive.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just started playing a couple days ago and after reading the last couple pages, I agree with Kirun. The sheer amount of reading and research..on just a few builds..holy hell. The acronyms as well.. listening to people even try to do beginner guides it can seem like trying to understand a foreign language. The in game 'tutorial' is terribad.. I found a few silver coins and was making prophecies and had no clue what was going on (still dont really). There are just so many overlapping systems, currency and game mechanics. I have a lvl 25 but started on the bestiary league but looks like that is going away soon anyway. I do like the huge scope of skills and abilities making builds so varied. It is rather impressive.

This is actually a good thing about this game. Its depth and the breadh of it all, its overwhelming at first, sure, but like 2 leagues in, you will be proficient, and at the same time still have so much more to learn and discover. The only negative is that when you try to do it yourself, without any guides or help, you will fail miserably.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's like you said--it's not tradeskilling at all, it's gambling. The whole loot system is horribly flawed and has been since the beta. There's only three ways to 'succeed' in PoE: be one of the handful of people who get to uber lab/uber atziri/shaper first and sell carries and drops, win the lottery and get a 0.00001% drop that is worth enough to bankroll everything for the rest of the league, or sit in your hideout for 16 hours a day flipping currency and the occasional item. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that people who just want to play a fucking game prefer leagues that make good, build-defining items easier to acquire, especially if it means not having to deal with the price fixing, scamming, etc. that goes on with player trading.

Plenty of people including me on the SSF ladder have all of our build defining uniques and our toons are fully geared with our uber trials complete. There is hundreds upon hundreds of people in each of the SSF ladders with their builds and uniques that arent able to trade. I think the issue is what I see with my casual friends I play with. They log in for 1-4 hours a day and spent 50% of their time in their stashes, selling, or looking at gear. They don't preroll maps and they pick up all kinds of trash. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that playstyle, they're having a blast but they cant expect the same results as people who in 4 hours run 60 maps to their 10-15 maps. This game rewards heavy and efficient grinding which imo makes it fun. Not everything has to be easy and casual friendly like D3, its ok to have to work or grind for loot with div cards, Cadiro, chance orbs, prophecies, or just grinding.

There is also hundreds of ways to make money when leagues release, not everyone has to be Fyndel nor will they compete with the 1 group that rushes Uber Atziri and Uber Elder every league. Those kids put in hundreds of hours of preparation in Discord, change their sleep cycles, and have 2 permanent traders working for them all while gearing Fyndel to push on bosses before most people are even 90. Theyve been doing it since Uber Atziri released pretty much uncontested, its not as simple as just one person rushing. Its a very coordinated effort by a very strong team of players with a lot of experience.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
especially if it means not having to deal with the price fixing, scamming, etc. that goes on with player trading.

Ya there is truly a lot of scummery and automated scanning for things that get sold before anyone else even sees them on poe.trade.

I'm ok with the people who rush to Elder/Uber At getting rich. Lab farming is OK with me. Doing something with my gripe above would be one giant leap for the trading right now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, next league details should be announced at some point tonight? I got the bulk of my boss-related achievements in bestiary with a juggernaut. I'm planning on doing the same next league but I don't know how to replace the craicy carapace.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, next league details should be announced at some point tonight? I got the bulk of my boss-related achievements in bestiary with a juggernaut. I'm planning on doing the same next league but I don't know how to replace the craicy carapace.

Someone I play with told me the announcement is coming at 5pm EST but not 100% sure.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Someone I play with told me the announcement is coming at 5pm EST but not 100% sure.
I don't believe they've given an exact time, their tweet says "in a little over 24hours" which could be like 30hours really. 5PM EST is the 24hours timeframe though, so expect it around that yeah, could be a few hours later.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
So, hit 85 in the Flashback league, was fun. Time to take a break until the next league. I left some uniques in the guild stash for you slowpokes.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
=There's only three ways to 'succeed' in PoE: be one of the handful of people who get to uber lab/uber atziri/shaper first and sell carries and drops, win the lottery and get a 0.00001% drop that is worth enough to bankroll everything for the rest of the league, or sit in your hideout for 16 hours a day flipping currency and the occasional item. =

meh, you're talking the top .001%, I play a lot in the first couple weeks of a league and get all my shit done and usually have 30-50ex of total wealth (by the end of the two weeks) just playing as intended and selling smartly. By then i'm either dipping out or working on another char which i've never had a problem affording.

I agree with the other stuff you said, but I think if someone has decent economy knowledge (id the right items skip the meh ones) and maps somewhat quickly, a few ex a day is easy without that crazy drop or racing to get to content first (or botting trade obviously).

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's like you said--it's not tradeskilling at all, it's gambling. The whole loot system is horribly flawed and has been since the beta. There's only three ways to 'succeed' in PoE: be one of the handful of people who get to uber lab/uber atziri/shaper first and sell carries and drops, win the lottery and get a 0.00001% drop that is worth enough to bankroll everything for the rest of the league, or sit in your hideout for 16 hours a day flipping currency and the occasional item. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that people who just want to play a fucking game prefer leagues that make good, build-defining items easier to acquire, especially if it means not having to deal with the price fixing, scamming, etc. that goes on with player trading.

I managed to get 2 exalted orb drops during this league (and funny enough the first two I EVER got). I also finished Plaguemaw V and got a breath of the council drop. That, plus selling a lot of loot, ended up getting a total of almost 10 exalted orbs the league, and all of my gear (some of which I bought), and orbs to set it all up perfectly.

View Profile - Path of Exile - RexieRabbit

(The level 89)

I was absurdly lucky in this league. I had a much, much harder time in Abyss.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
meh, you're talking the top .001%, I play a lot in the first couple weeks of a league and get all my shit done and usually have 30-50ex of total wealth (by the end of the two weeks) just playing as intended and selling smartly. By then i'm either dipping out or working on another char which i've never had a problem affording.

I agree with the other stuff you said, but I think if someone has decent economy knowledge (id the right items skip the meh ones) and maps somewhat quickly, a few ex a day is easy without that crazy drop or racing to get to content first (or botting trade obviously).
I still haven't gotten a good idea of what's good to pick up and what's not, in terms of rare items. The game does a poor job of reinforcing this because even items that are, on average, worth picking up, will still be trash 99% of the time. How do you gauge it?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I still haven't gotten a good idea of what's good to pick up and what's not, in terms of rare items. The game does a poor job of reinforcing this because even items that are, on average, worth picking up, will still be trash 99% of the time. How do you gauge it?

depends on the meta, which 1hs are meta. if 2hs are meta at all (usually not), like I use to ID all belts, but obviously with abyss picking up belts would be stupid. I ID all jewelry unless i'm going fast then it's just resists / damage / duel stat bases. I almost never try to ID for ES cause it's so fucking rare to find something good. I almost never pick up and ID chests in general, too much space for meh chances for something good and after a week it not being linked is gonna hurt anyways unless it's insane. Almost always ID boots unless there are a bunch of meta unique boots in the league, then fuck it. I never ID helms cause enchants + uniques make it almost pointless unless you are lab farming. I always ID gloves except if they are pure ES base.

Probably a bunch of other shit i'm not thinking off that makes map running faster. General rule is never leave a map to ID until map is done, but try to make sure to have a full inventory when you leave ( don't run around to find shit to fill up though ), do super quick ID / sell and then go go go.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

I'm learning too, and I still dont know for sure.

Very often I'll ask the guild and they will help. But generally, if it has at least 2 of Global Crit strike/crit damage/+physical damage I look into it. Even more so if it has life.

Take this item for example -- nothing amazing but...

1525979865358.png

It has global strike chance and multiplier. Thats good. Lots of life, so that's really good. Resistance is good. adds cold damage is also good because (from what I've been told) a lot of melees use cold damage attacks. 7% armor meh whatever.

Overall though, a solid item, I can probably get 50 chaos to 1 ex for it. The "trigger" for it, for me to look more into it, was the Global Crit Chance/Global Crit Mult/85 life.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm learning too, and I still dont know for sure.

Very often I'll ask the guild and they will help. But generally, if it has at least 2 of Global Crit strike/crit damage/+physical damage I look into it. Even more so if it has life.

Take this item for example -- nothing amazing but...

View attachment 166127

It has global strike chance and multiplier. Thats good. Lots of life, so that's really good. Resistance is good. adds cold damage is also good because (from what I've been told) a lot of melees use cold damage attacks. 7% armor meh whatever.

Overall though, a solid item, I can probably get 50 chaos to 1 ex for it. The "trigger" for it, for me to look more into it, was the Global Crit Chance/Global Crit Mult/85 life.

especially early in a league that's an easy 50+ chaos

when in doubt, price it out!

(do gotta learn which stats are worth money when pricing)

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Sounds like you want Diablo 3 since you can't trade and i've heard you can be in your perfect gearset with no reason to pick up a single item any more within a week.

Complaining about price fixing is silly. Items are worth what people are willing to sell them for/buy them for.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd still be playing Diablo 3 if it was getting content updates like PoE. Don't make the mistake that just because someone is playing Game A now, saying they want Game B is somehow a rebuttal to their argument.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'd actually like to point out the POE money changer bots actually make overall wealth gathering and crafting easier and more convenient, while at the same time quickly stabilizing the currency market every league. I'm glad people do that shit.