Path of Exile

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't mind the story and I can understand why they want us to go through the whole thing. If I'm gonna be spending level 65+ doing infinite million maps, I'd like to get to maps doing something different. What I'd like them to do is make the rewards better to prepare us for maps. Like, give us a 5-L armour at the end of Act 10, or some amount of currency once you defeat Kitava(I mean, every game but this one gives money as a reward for quests).

Good news is that we don't have to deal with Bestiary anymore, nor its 5000 nets and garbage recipes.

I do have a feeling that they will address a lot of the QoL issues that you guys brought up(saving stash tab setup, import your standard h/o to leagues once you hit level 7 on a master).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of making a flicker strike elementalist next patch, but not sure if that's a good idea for a league starter. Using prolif as your only form of AE seems sexy.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would have liked to seen the numbers on bestiary. Interesting that GGG is doing whatever they can to distance themselves from it and dump it. There was the big post a while back about how inthe past POE was about killing stuff and they "goofed", which is too bad because seems like a ton of work went into it, they just couldn't tie it all together cleanly.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What numbers on beastiary? This thread is a pretty good indication. If it isn't breach then 95% of the playerbase calls it shit any chance they get, endlessly. Of course they're going to try to distance themselves from something that draws that much hate from people.

Someone posted a few pages ago something about feeling like it's going to end up just being a reskin of breach every league. No shit it is, any time they try to do something different people just constantly bash it. It's going to get to the point a couple leagues from now where people are going to expect 5430870223827050837802072 mobs per map because they're going to want 4 breaches, 3 abyss cracks, 17 of whatever new versions of "find this and spawn tons of mobs" they come up with next to keep people from crying 'shit league'.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I meant how many players taking part in it or online. Of course we'll never see that, but they did the long post about how they made too big a change too quickly and ditching it going forward now.

Caliane

Thinking of making a flicker strike elementalist next patch, but not sure if that's a good idea for a league starter. Using prolif as your only form of AE seems sexy.
Should be fine for a trader. Oro's elem is easy and oros is typically pretty cheap.

Holy shit that incinerate. whelp, I think have my fire skill choice..

Combustion seems too good.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Link that build, yo. That's what I'm gonna roll with. I need something other than ED LOL. I've done that build twice (because I love it so much).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Should be fine for a trader. Oro's elem is easy and oros is typically pretty cheap.

Holy shit that incinerate. whelp, I think have my fire skill choice..

Combustion seems too good.
Looking at elementalist, I'm not actually sure it's the best choice. You get built-in prolif, 20% more ignite damage, 25% fire pen and...that's it. The 2 pointers aren't reliable so I don't really count them. I wonder if a raider or juggernaut would be better.

AladainAF AladainAF I haven't made it yet, it's just an idea at this point. I don't like making builds before PoB is updated, and obviously PoB can't update at this point.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What numbers on beastiary? This thread is a pretty good indication. If it isn't breach then 95% of the playerbase calls it shit any chance they get, endlessly. Of course they're going to try to distance themselves from something that draws that much hate from people.

Someone posted a few pages ago something about feeling like it's going to end up just being a reskin of breach every league. No shit it is, any time they try to do something different people just constantly bash it. It's going to get to the point a couple leagues from now where people are going to expect 5430870223827050837802072 mobs per map because they're going to want 4 breaches, 3 abyss cracks, 17 of whatever new versions of "find this and spawn tons of mobs" they come up with next to keep people from crying 'shit league'.
You going full defense force every time the Bestiary topic comes up isn't really any better than the other side.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wizardhawk likes gamblingtradeskilling, so any criticism of Bestiary's absolute shit implementation gets misconstrued as an attack on tradeskilling. If implemented well, I think Bestiary could have been a nice little addition to the core game just like Essence. No one will go nuts for it, it will enhance a few builds just like the high end essences do, and that's it. They reached way too far and it backfired. The criticisms are valid as is their decision to not go core with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
BMoe5a4.jpg

zombiewizardhawk in a nutshell

I think I stated my opinion many times already, the scope of bestiary is way too fucking big to be just a league mechanic which means it's very light on polish and all the fixes post-launch were mostly bandaids to make it bearable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

what do you mean what numbers? it's pretty clear that if this league had the same popularity / drop off numbers / cosmetic purchases as previous leagues, they likely wouldn't be dropping bestiary. It would be incredibly interesting seeing those numbers and comparing them with other leagues, has nothing to do with this thread, poe reddit, or anything.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
BMoe5a4.jpg

zombiewizardhawk in a nutshell

I think I stated my opinion many times already, the scope of bestiary is way too fucking big to be just a league mechanic which means it's very light on polish and all the fixes post-launch were mostly bandaids to make it bearable.

Not to mention they flat out said that in hindsight it would end up being a balancing nightmare going forward.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Wizardhawk likes gamblingtradeskilling, so any criticism of Bestiary's absolute shit implementation gets misconstrued as an attack on tradeskilling. If implemented well, I think Bestiary could have been a nice little addition to the core game just like Essence. No one will go nuts for it, it will enhance a few builds just like the high end essences do, and that's it. They reached way too far and it backfired. The criticisms are valid as is their decision to not go core with it.

It's not only beastiary. People have bashed every league mechanic that wasn't a form of "here's 40% more mobs on your maps!"

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's not only beastiary. People have bashed every league mechanic that wasn't a form of "here's 40% more mobs on your maps!"
I'll admit I started at the tail end of breach, so I can't really speak to a well-designed tradeskill-oriented league.

That being said, tradeskilling in this game is pretty horrible. Maybe this was their attempting to fix it, idk. 9 times out of 10, it's much safer and cheaper to buy what you want instead of trying to gamble it. Maybe the problem isn't that people want to kill shit in a game about killing shit. Ok, it's at least partly that. But the other part is likely that tradeskilling is bad and people don't want to do it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

These guys are so good at hype. Also someone has leaked numbers last year, it was like 50k average per server at peak times and they spiked to 150k during holidays. The game is also huge on the Chinese servers, who knows how big it is there.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll admit I started at the tail end of breach, so I can't really speak to a well-designed tradeskill-oriented league.

That being said, tradeskilling in this game is pretty horrible. Maybe this was their attempting to fix it, idk. 9 times out of 10, it's much safer and cheaper to buy what you want instead of trying to gamble it. Maybe the problem isn't that people want to kill shit in a game about killing shit. Ok, it's at least partly that. But the other part is likely that tradeskilling is bad and people don't want to do it.
It's like you said--it's not tradeskilling at all, it's gambling. The whole loot system is horribly flawed and has been since the beta. There's only three ways to 'succeed' in PoE: be one of the handful of people who get to uber lab/uber atziri/shaper first and sell carries and drops, win the lottery and get a 0.00001% drop that is worth enough to bankroll everything for the rest of the league, or sit in your hideout for 16 hours a day flipping currency and the occasional item. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that people who just want to play a fucking game prefer leagues that make good, build-defining items easier to acquire, especially if it means not having to deal with the price fixing, scamming, etc. that goes on with player trading.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users