Path of Exile

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The fun thing about Flashback leagues is that if your build has decent aoe, you basically fly ahead in levels. Arc totems are pretty sweet, but that might the two Tabulas I got to drop during leveling. Now to retire for a week until Shimmerons hit reasonable price :D

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I want to do this flashback thing but fuck I hate starting ALL the way over. Like ALLLL the way over. Ugh... They gotta make SOME of this shit account-wide.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't care for it either. Thought about doing it just to experience some of the leagues I never played. Decided I'd rather reset the characters I had on standard that had free resets instead of level again.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I want to do this flashback thing but fuck I hate starting ALL the way over. Like ALLLL the way over. Ugh... They gotta make SOME of this shit account-wide.
Same, I'm pretty much done playing the game seriously until they finally fuck off with trials. All of them too, not just uber lab ones. I hate being 7~10 levels overleveled every time I do a lab because I don't care about racing, and since I can't stand having 820 or 5055 on all the time I never get into uber lab before 85, usually closer to 90. SSF is completely out of the question for that reason too imo. The first three labs should just have a level req to enter and since I know they won't get rid of the retarded Offerings just leave uber trials in maps for those.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I used to hate trials and I still think they're quite stupid, but that seems like a weird deal breaker. Unless you're farming uber lab, the amount of time you spend in lab and its varied trials is quite small.

Vorph

Well I farm uber lab a lot, once I finally get the stupid trials done. And just once I'd like to get my last 2 points at 70-75 instead of 85-90 without having to turn on chat. I can't even stand to listen to 820/5055.

It's not the only 'slog through the same grind every damn league' thing that bugs me, but at least with stuff like masters I can say fuck it and ignore them all except Zana and Vorici (for the daily fusings).

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am very surprised to be honest. Not to say bestiary wasn't a giant shitshow, but there was a lot of work they did for it and they are keeping basically nothing. I hope they find some new way of letting us still get the 4 bestiary armour sets cause they were probably the best part of the whole thing(outside of the random HHs and horizon/harb orbs via beast crafting).

On the topic of the flashback event, levelling 5 chars to 90+ (with one at 97!), has given me lots of good experience. I managed to get to maps in SSF in under 10 hours. I did hit a brick wall for awhile, trying to map with a 4L and a lvl 50 weapon was tough.

Question to you guys: What part of levelling a new char is most difficult or frustrating?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Question to you guys: What part of levelling a new char is most difficult or frustrating?

As a "new" player, it's definitely just the amount of research you have to do anytime you're looking to level a new char/try a new build. This game is fucking fantastic once you understand a lot of the mechanics, but it took me a TON of research to get there. Then, once you start getting into shit like loot fillters, trade macros, etc.? It's pretty damn daunting.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Understandable that they ditch Bestiary, the whole mechanic of catching/crafting is really clunky. Even just playing the Flashback, all the other mechanics just require you to kill shit, to engage with Bestiary, you need to keep a relevant net in your inventory and hope your tabula rasa wielding maniac doesn't butcher the mob anyway. And maybe backtrack a bit to get the right mobs. The rare mob abilities were pretty interesting though, sad those are gone.

I hope they bring it back at some point, but it would need significant revision.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I kinda wished Bestiary succeeded, or else they are just gonna re-skin breach every 4 months.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
making more crafting, especially more complicated crafting like beastiary, seemed an antithesis to what their overall goal has always been (get new players into an already complex game and make it fun for everyone).

As an early beta 'vet', but not a super hard core min/max'r, i'm glad it's gone

edit: after actually reading the post, it's also obvious they added a pretty complex economical layer onto an already complex one, so ya, the balancing work alone moving forward would have been a nightmare.

Caliane

Beastiary as an almost entirely cosmetic thing, I think would have been ok. hideouts 2.0

But yeah, the crafting was just way way too complex, and complicated.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Well, speaking league start over, I'd put it in this order, mind you that I'm not as experienced as some of you here:

1. Leveling your masters to 8 and having to re-design your hideout. Why sell all this stuff to spiff up your hideout when its all wasted. No one plays standard really. There's no reason this should not carry account wide and league wide.
2. Going through story again. This isn't so bad, really, but the thing I really dislike about it is that there's nothing that exists to avoid it. A solution to this would honestly be to have the map system (with level 1-64 maps) available at level 1 for leagues only and only for characters who have completed the story once. To go through this whole thing, every fucking league, is a fucking killer on my soul.
3. Re-doing the trials every time. This is stupid too. These trials are all trivial and just time wasters. Pull this lever, go over here, pull this one, walk in a gate, pull this, click this, etc. It's dumb. This should also be account wide and league wide.
4. Your stash, while should be cleared every league, should retain the tab settings from standard when you start a new league. Not a problem generally, but its still 10 minutes I have to waste moving shit around.

• 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Understandable that they ditch Bestiary, the whole mechanic of catching/crafting is really clunky. Even just playing the Flashback, all the other mechanics just require you to kill shit, to engage with Bestiary, you need to keep a relevant net in your inventory and hope your tabula rasa wielding maniac doesn't butcher the mob anyway. And maybe backtrack a bit to get the right mobs. The rare mob abilities were pretty interesting though, sad those are gone.

I hope they bring it back at some point, but it would need significant revision.

Beastiary was just poorly designed. The simple fact that they have what.. 6 differnet types of nets for it is stupid. Why they thought this was necessary and not have just 1 net type is one of the most mind bottling design decisions I've ever seen in this game.

Vorph

I didn't start Bestiary until long after they "fixed" it. I can't even imagine how bad it was on day 1 because it's still a massive dumpster fire even in Flashback.

1. Nets. Too many, too annoying, and from a UX perspective they were even worse than Vaal Haste. Mash the button 10 times, maybe it throws a net... maybe it doesn't. Not like you can tell either way with all the fx going on. Even when the net does work, the league mechanic is like someone at GGG said, "Hey, you know how everyone hates Vorici missions because they're the antithesis of what ARPG gameplay should be like? How about we make an entire league based on the same concept?" ... "Brilliant!" Oh, and Necro nets being drop-only and seemingly ultra-rare (I've still never looted one) is just the icing on the cake.

2. Recipes. Way too damn many, and they're about 90% trash. The gigantic fucking popup when you learn one (read: usually like 10) got me killed more than once too. To be fair, there are some really useful ones in there, if you can ever actually unlock them, which brings me to --

3. Beasts. They're just invasion bosses, and not actually the type of beast that actually spawns in a particular area, which means you can't do targeted farming of a particular one that you need. Having to fight them again in a tiny area to craft something is pretty shitty too, depending on the build you play.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had a wild ass Lich drop 2 socket Lightpoacher and Bubonic Trail on the same kill and got my last uber trial in SSF. Slow ass start but its coming together finally.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, speaking league start over, I'd put it in this order, mind you that I'm not as experienced as some of you here:
2. Going through story again. This isn't so bad, really, but the thing I really dislike about it is that there's nothing that exists to avoid it. A solution to this would honestly be to have the map system (with level 1-64 maps) available at level 1 for leagues only and only for characters who have completed the story once. To go through this whole thing, every fucking league, is a fucking killer on my soul.

1000 x this. They really need to take a page out of D3's book on this one. Having to trudge through 10 fucking acts of gameplay every season is needlessly tedious.