Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I need you guys to help me decide what to play for the next league.

I've played an Elementalist Witch with Firestorm that I hated because it was squishy and was animation locked while casting too much.

I've also played a fairly tanky Righteous Fire/Scorching Ray Jugg for Bestiary and was a pretty big fan except that clear speed in maps was not fantastic until I got my ridiculously expensive Kaom's Heart and Kaom's Ways.

For this Flashback I just played a Tornado Shot/Barrage Deadeye and found it to be just as annoying as the Witch. Squishy and frequently animation locked with poor.

Given all of this, I feel like I'd like a tanky build that clears at a great speed but can also take down bosses without going on forever. I particularly appreciated Righteous Fire since I didn't have to pay a whole lot of attention to clearing weak trash mobs.

Any suggestions?

Using Kaoms as RF is a thing with life based? Only ever did ES and movement speed was so important, youre basically only shield charging around an entire map. Been thinking about RF again but no idea on how much its changed since I played it deeply last.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No idea about normal leagues but the RF that won the SSFHC race was still ES; it abused the Shaper mod on chest to get back 5-6% ES on kill. Seems pretty hard for a life-based version to compete with that.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
so is making elder rings part of the meta now? think this will make shaper influenced items to get scarcer/more costly?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
3-ball was 10-12ex when I was playing Bestiary, regardless of the life roll (98-100 life was maybe an extra ex).

Not really a fan of bow or wander stuff, especially since all that shit is insane $$$$ too. I just want a good melee skill that isn't Blade Flurry (hate the charge thing) or Sunder (just plain hate it, the most boring skill ever). Never tried Reave, but I don't think anything is changing with it in 3.3(?) and it seems kind of required to bring BF along for single target. Was really hoping for something new and shiny.
You're right, 3 ball is double a xophs.

I suggest infernal blow.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
so is making elder rings part of the meta now? think this will make shaper influenced items to get scarcer/more costly?

Who knows until we see the new stuff in its entirety, it could scale up at high levels to better than shaper or elder. "Meta" for mapping is always going to be whatever gets the most XP or that gives bonus loot like those zones do.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Using Kaoms as RF is a thing with life based? Only ever did ES and movement speed was so important, youre basically only shield charging around an entire map. Been thinking about RF again but no idea on how much its changed since I played it deeply last.

Most popular RF in bestiary was life based. I don't know if that was soley due to Ziz playing it or what. I tried an ES RF Hierophant to start buy it was so bad I moved to life based quickly.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
One feels like busy work, the other is progression even if it is just mindless grinding. I don't think it needs to be changed though, other than wishing that powerleveling was actually viable. It's a hell of a lot better now than it was, even if 1-10 still takes about the same amount of time or maybe even a little longer than 1-4x3 did. Personally I can't stand to run through the acts more than once (maybe twice if I have a very good reason) per league, so I have to plan my starter build accordingly. My real pet peeve with prepping a new character will always be trials far more than anything else, that shit needs to just fuck off for good.

You only have to do trials once per league and they're super fast...

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most popular RF in bestiary was life based. I don't know if that was soley due to Ziz playing it or what. I tried an ES RF Hierophant to start buy it was so bad I moved to life based quickly.

With ES it took Shavs rings which they took out or nerfed again, it was actually super tough as a trickster to get my regen high enough to not degen naturally.

Pretty good video from Ziggyd last night

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's what I suspected, but you can't really compare that to a self-cast trap then. Unless, there's some way to do the same with traps? I've never played a trapper.

Thats always been the issue with traps, massive mana costs and I usually had to run mana flasks. That new siphon trap looks like it's going to help some, we'll have to see how it works in game. The traps in Ziggys videos have really big ranges it looks like. I might be just seeing things but it seems like a huge AoE on the initial fire trap.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats peoples thoughts on Siphoning trap? will it replace warlords for casters?

Its an extra step to take for a minor buff. My thoughts on it? I think GGG dont recognize where their game is at when they say they hope this is something even non-trap builds will use.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Looking forward to the new Rain of Arrows, trap stuff might actually get me to try out a trapper for the first time.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its an extra step to take for a minor buff. My thoughts on it? I think GGG dont recognize where their game is at when they say they hope this is something even non-trap builds will use.

Even trapping id rather mana flask than to throw out another trap but we'll have to see. With all of this trap stuff coming there has to be changes to cooldowns and throwing speed to make them friendly.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
With ES it took Shavs rings which they took out or nerfed again, it was actually super tough as a trickster to get my regen high enough to not degen naturally.

Pretty good video from Ziggyd last night

ah man, this looks like possibly the best league in years and I'm going to be going through a major move when it starts. i'd say fml but the move is an insane upgrade and change of life. MUUHHH POE

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Whats the best molten strike build? Im leaning towards ele claw inquisitor because ive never played inquisitor.