Path of Exile

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A level 68 in a level 62 area should get a 10% currency penalty

From the wiki,
"There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%."

also

"For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area."

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
A level 68 in a level 62 area should get a 10% currency penalty

From the wiki,
"There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%."

also

"For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area."
So i just found this on the poe forums posted by a developer -

"There is a currency drop penalty, but levels areas over level 63 are treated as level 63.

The specific penalty is reduced currency drops of 2.5% per level, with a 2 level buffer.

So, this penalty will not affect high level characters in map content.

The penalty only affects drop rates of currency (Orbs). There is no penalty to other items.

The purpose of this penalty is to prevent high level characters exploiting a higher killing speed to get increased currency drops in low level areas.

So, if you take a level 30 character to a level 20 area, you will have reduced currency drops of 20%."

This was posted on 12/17/2012. Is the wiki more uptodate? because the dev post makes it sound like there is no docks penalty for high levels but the wiki would suggest a 10% penalty

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
alt gr click

on another note, I am going to take a break from the game I think. All my friends stopped and there's less incentive for me to farm after beating vaal merciless on my third hc char now...

I dunno, I guess I'll shelf it for a while

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well first it's 120points, it really shouldn't be. Second, it has like no life. At all. If you crit on a reflect pack, you're dead. Well you're probably dead even with hp on a physical crit, but it's even worse. I'd look on the forums there's a good physical crit build I think somewhere, on the ranger forums. There's also a bunch of wasted points. The only hp you get is 3x8% even though you have direct access to 2x8% +18%, makes no sense. Also you go down toward the duellist area via the str even though you can connect from the bottom for only 1point instead of 3. But mostly the biggest issue is you have no health whatsoever so you're going to die instantly to anything.

Drop the status resist node entirely, get health with those points. Drop the arrow piercing node, unless you actually plan on using pierce as your base support(no chain and no fork), otherwise it's gonna conflict with those since a projectile can only pierce, fork or chain, so 33% of the time it won't fork/chain and instead pierce which is generally not so good. That's be 15points total back, get the int from the bottom if you need it, invest the rest into health you have easy access to(especially the Thick Skin and Fitness nodes).

Something like thishttp://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...vOcWwWOlgEfo19

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Well first it's 120points, it really shouldn't be. Second, it has like no life. At all. If you crit on a reflect pack, you're dead. Well you're probably dead even with hp on a physical crit, but it's even worse. I'd look on the forums there's a good physical crit build I think somewhere, on the ranger forums. There's also a bunch of wasted points. The only hp you get is 3x8% even though you have direct access to 2x8% +18%, makes no sense. Also you go down toward the duellist area via the str even though you can connect from the bottom for only 1point instead of 3. But mostly the biggest issue is you have no health whatsoever so you're going to die instantly to anything.

Drop the status resist node entirely, get health with those points. Drop the arrow piercing node, unless you actually plan on using pierce as your base support(no chain and no fork), otherwise it's gonna conflict with those since a projectile can only pierce, fork or chain, so 33% of the time it won't fork/chain and instead pierce which is generally not so good. That's be 15points total back, get the int from the bottom if you need it, invest the rest into health you have easy access to(especially the Thick Skin and Fitness nodes).

Something like thishttp://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...vOcWwWOlgEfo19
Originally, I was going to post "Pyros, build me a xxx", but figured you would just jump on it anyway. Thank you sir.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Originally, I was going to post "Pyros, build me a xxx", but figured you would just jump on it anyway. Thank you sir.
If you want to do a physical dmg ranger you should probably just go with Frenzy as your main attack. I'm working on a build with a friend who's top 75 on hardcore to do just that, I'll post it when it's fleshed out.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im also finding it a pain to find gear. If anyone sees a 5L searing touch for sale I will trade my (6s) searing touch staff as well as a 5L 300 ES chest in exchange. Likewise if you donate a fusing and I manage to 5L it, you get the 5L ES chest plus I'll throw in 3gcp.

After blowing 50? Odd fusings trying to fuse it without even getting a 4L I'm realizing I don't accumulate currency at a fast enough rate to just blow hundreds of fusings on this thing

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope I never play the fusing game to get a 5L/6L.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/203971

Complete logged six-socket data:
44534 - Four-link or less
258 - Five-links
52 - Six-links
-----
44844 - Total

Approximated Chances (95% reliable margin of error):
Four-link or less: 99.31% ?0.08% (99.23-99.39%)
Five-link: 0.58% ?0.07% (0.51-0.65%)
Six-link: 0.116% ?0.031% (0.084-0.147%)

Expected Orb of Fusing Consumption per Craft:
Five-link or six-link: 145 (130-163)
Six-link only: 862 (678-1184)

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So i just found this on the poe forums posted by a developer -

"There is a currency drop penalty, but levels areas over level 63 are treated as level 63. The specific penalty is reduced currency drops of 2.5% per level, with a 2 level buffer. So, this penalty will not affect high level characters in map content. The penalty only affects drop rates of currency (Orbs). There is no penalty to other items. The purpose of this penalty is to prevent high level characters exploiting a higher killing speed to get increased currency drops in low level areas. So, if you take a level 30 character to a level 20 area, you will have reduced currency drops of 20%."

This was posted on 12/17/2012. Is the wiki more uptodate? because the dev post makes it sound like there is no docks penalty for high levels but the wiki would suggest a 10% penalty
The wiki sources the mechanics thread on the boards:http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vie...d/11707/page/1which was last edited on Feb 13, so I would think that would be more correct than the post on 12/17/2012. Of course, there's no way of really knowing.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I tried making a 5L/6L in closed beta and learned what a mistake it was then. I forget how many orbs I ended up using on the chest piece but it wasn't worth nearly as much as I spent on it, that's for sure. In most cases it simply isn't worth trying to make a 5L/6L sadly, unless it's an extremely good item or an item that fits your build perfectly, even then in most cases it would be far more cost efficient to just buy one.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
BAH, just lost my lvl 55 EK witch in hardcore. Goddamn Cruel Piety tore me up. 1800 HP and 900 ES and got 3-shotted by her fire form with max resists. not sure what % of her damage in that form is physical, but my Armor was really low overall since I was focusing on resists, ES, and health.

Oh well, through 55 levels I still hadn't found a single +cold or +fire added damage gem, my DPS was really struggling because of that.

Time to start over...

Ryanz

<Banned>
It's all good, you learn something new each time you lose a char. Just remake a better version of yourself next time. Cruel Piety got me the first time too. The next time through I came in with max resists, and kept enfeeble on her and could face tank her fire form with granite, and then it just comes down to hiding behind pillars if she is able to get into ice form.

Also my in game name is....Ryanz. Add me to the OP, and in game if you're on Hardcore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, I got greedy and dropped keeping enfeeble on her for vulnerability to kill her faster. Big mistake.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yep, I got greedy and dropped keeping enfeeble on her for vulnerability to kill her faster. Big mistake.
Her fire form doesn't do that much dmg though, at least I tend to ignore it, chug a granite and keep DPSing, it's a good time to do so since she doesn't move around like crazy if she's on you. The only part I find scary in this fight is when she casts her teleport, but then walk into an ice form circle, so the teleport finishes after she's morphed and all of a sudden your safe spot for her ice arrows might be right next to her. Other than that though she's pretty easy I've found, with maxed resists. My first char died to her on cruel too but later on I checked the stats I had(it was right at launch, very first char) and it was laughable, I had 1200hp and 30-50resists, I wonder how I even got to her with these stats.

Mostly what is weird is how she hit you 3times in a row if you're not facetanking her though. If you just run around even with no movespeed boots she generally misses every single hit. If you were facetanking without a granite and with vuln instead of enfeeble on a char with no armor though... well that's kinda asking for it to happen ^^.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I finally got to docks in merciless and farmed it all night.

How much harder are high quality maps than merciless docks? I have to imagine it's much harder because even with my terrible gear I'm able to get through solo or do fine in a group.

I'm also finding that the challenge in grouping in docks is based on three things: staying alive, getting 5L or 6S white items before everyone else, and being the first one to click a desirable item that the 'owner' neglects to pick up. For the latter I'm thinking about replacing my scroll wheel function from zoom in/out to left mouse click so I can just spam left-click by flipping my scroll wheel instead of pressing the button. I used to do this with jump in Halflife/CS/TFC to bunny hop.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
A couple of anecdotal things I noticed I created a game called full zone clears and the types of players that joined seemed to be higher quality then normal. Normal players aren't to bad but sometimes you get the X box experience.

Also I much prefer HP build over Ci builds atm