Path of Exile

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the Scion seems great for damage, but it's going to die a shitload. Not taking champion for the overleech, no regen, no phys reduction, no MoM, no life gain on hit, and 10% chance for Fortify on hit is pretty unreliable. Might go Acro/Phase Acro, but you'll need a bunch more evasion to make it feel OK.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So this is my first character with no real forethought put in to the skill tree. I'm doing pretty fine at level 48 or so clearing acts, but I'm starting to explode a lot to rare mobs and stuff and I'm not sure where I should head to try and pick up some more defense? I basically let zombies/skeletons/spectres do all the heavy lifting and just throw ball lightning from the back, but bosses are getting rough with my ~900 life and ~300 shield.

www.poeurl.com/b8w7

Ditch all the energy shield nodes, they're worthless unless you go full energy shield. Instead path through the life nodes (Cruel Preperation). Path to it from the Lord of the Dead node and you can reallocate all the int nodes you took from the starting position and gain some passives back. From here I would go toward the templar starting position and pick up all the minion/life nodes there.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Does anyone have a link to a good guide on building a character to live through the leveling process while at the same time keeping your damage up? I watch Ziz and Raiz quite a bit and they always follow pretty formulaic paths (skipping dangerous skill point side bosses and coming back later, taking a break to level in blood aqueducts, keeping damage high enough that dangerous fights like Innocence and Doedre don't last very long) but they never explain what they are doing and I really want to get to the point that I can play HC and not feel like an idiot wasting my gear. I'd also like to start practicing that type of play in this next league.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone have a link to a good guide on building a character to live through the leveling process while at the same time keeping your damage up? I watch Ziz and Raiz quite a bit and they always follow pretty formulaic paths (skipping dangerous skill point side bosses and coming back later, taking a break to level in blood aqueducts, keeping damage high enough that dangerous fights like Innocence and Doedre don't last very long) but they never explain what they are doing and I really want to get to the point that I can play HC and not feel like an idiot wasting my gear. I'd also like to start practicing that type of play in this next league.
What do those guys have in common that you don't? Hint: you're not going to like the answer. I'm not trying to be a dick, honest. I just don't think you can shortcut experience, especially in hardcore.

chieftan is also a no brainer for conc path, as well. Probably the meta build for it.
tons of leech, regen, 100% fire damage, etc.
I cannot see another ascendancy providing the utility that the Gluttony + Jugg can for conc path. I know you play SSF, so depending on finding that belt is not something you're likely to build around. 100% phys immunity, allowing you to wear an Abyssus with no downsides is just too strong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ditch all the energy shield nodes, they're worthless unless you go full energy shield. Instead path through the life nodes (Cruel Preperation). Path to it from the Lord of the Dead node and you can reallocate all the int nodes you took from the starting position and gain some passives back. From here I would go toward the templar starting position and pick up all the minion/life nodes there.

I picked up all the health + chaos resist nodes and then a bunch of the +health nodes near the starter area that I had skipped and am up to ~1500hp now which has been helping a ton yea. I also just found out chaos damage ignores energy shield which is rather annoying.

On the defense tab for the character screen it has two resist values, is that just current(max) or something? And do resists have big penalties the further you progress similar to nightmare/hell diablo penalties?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Resists cap at 75%. The number over 75% is how much your overcapped. There is no benefit to being overcapped except for curses that lower resistances. When you defeat Kitava you get resistance penalties which just make it harder to get back to 75% cap. There is also gear/auras that can give + max resistances which can be quite powerful when you do the math.

Caliane

Resists cap at 75%. The number over 75% is how much your overcapped. There is no benefit to being overcapped except for curses that lower resistances. When you defeat Kitava you get resistance penalties which just make it harder to get back to 75% cap. There is also gear/auras that can give + max resistances which can be quite powerful when you do the math.
and specific unique items that give special effects for overcapped resists.

And yeah, I make builds based on passives and skills, not uniques most of the time.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What do those guys have in common that you don't? Hint: you're not going to like the answer. I'm not trying to be a dick, honest. I just don't think you can shortcut experience, especially in hardcore.

I cannot see another ascendancy providing the utility that the Gluttony + Jugg can for conc path. I know you play SSF, so depending on finding that belt is not something you're likely to build around. 100% phys immunity, allowing you to wear an Abyssus with no downsides is just too strong.

I'm not trying to shortcut experience and I'm well aware of the skill gap, I'm looking for a basic outline. Someone above said that 900 life at lvl 45 isnt' enough. What is a good number? I see these guys shredding Innocence at a fairly low level with their main skill no more than 4-linked, but even with twink gear and a 6-link main skill I can't burn him half as fast. I imagine that is due to the combo of skill choice/weapon choice/passive selection, but it isn't obvious where their giant gains are coming from even when following the same build.

Caliane

yeah, that was a lame response. "what are some tips to staying alive, and what i the biggest threats?" "play the game." yeah. not helpful.

As to actual guides. not sure. they probably exist. I know Ziggyd made a racing guide at one point, which def covered many of those topics, since they are key to racing.

Different skills have different dps plateaus and scaling rates. Kindof like the ssf vs build guide discussion. and "league starter". Many build guides just will not work leveling. The required mechanics from some unique item, or skill whatever, you just wont have. so you'll level something else entirely. a "league starter" build should likely have a more natural growth, meaning you can use it from the get go, and just scale it well later as well.
And some skills just do it themselves. A blade vortex build is just lulz for massive dps with no effort. While yeah, frostblades? alot more work to kill bosses. way more gear dependent, and passive dependent.

I don't remember the actual values for reasonable life at any given level. I do just focus on life,etc in passives most of the way, and dps only later in maps. Resists on gear. and sometimes in passives to top off. Capped resists by act 5 is a big deal for sure. act5 innocence is massive fire damage. act 6 has a massive fire damage miniboss(which can be skipped.)

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Damage while leveling doesnt come from the passive tree while a lot of survivability does. Skip most damage nodes, try to hit certain hp pools for certain bosses so you dont get 1 shot and let upgrading weapons or spell gem levels carry your damage. Once you get to Blood Aqueducts and farm up your tabula rasa you will have outleveled all the content by a fair margin and shouldnt have any issues until mid-high tier maps.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
yeah, that was a lame response. "what are some tips to staying alive, and what i the biggest threats?" "play the game." yeah. not helpful.

As to actual guides. not sure. they probably exist. I know Ziggyd made a racing guide at one point, which def covered many of those topics, since they are key to racing.

Different skills have different dps plateaus and scaling rates. Kindof like the ssf vs build guide discussion. and "league starter". Many build guides just will not work leveling. The required mechanics from some unique item, or skill whatever, you just wont have. so you'll level something else entirely. a "league starter" build should likely have a more natural growth, meaning you can use it from the get go, and just scale it well later as well.
And some skills just do it themselves. A blade vortex build is just lulz for massive dps with no effort. While yeah, frostblades? alot more work to kill bosses. way more gear dependent, and passive dependent.

I don't remember the actual values for reasonable life at any given level. I do just focus on life,etc in passives most of the way, and dps only later in maps. Resists on gear. and sometimes in passives to top off. Capped resists by act 5 is a big deal for sure. act5 innocence is massive fire damage. act 6 has a massive fire damage miniboss(which can be skipped.)
How is that not helpful? Developing muscle memory and learning fights is by far the most investable skill in this game.

Someone comes in here asking for Uber Elder guides, most times that person is told they are going to have to burn some sets learning the fight.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not trying to shortcut experience and I'm well aware of the skill gap, I'm looking for a basic outline. Someone above said that 900 life at lvl 45 isnt' enough. What is a good number? I see these guys shredding Innocence at a fairly low level with their main skill no more than 4-linked, but even with twink gear and a 6-link main skill I can't burn him half as fast. I imagine that is due to the combo of skill choice/weapon choice/passive selection, but it isn't obvious where their giant gains are coming from even when following the same build.

For leveling there really is no "trick" as far as DPS, certain skills are just way better than others. For example Blade Vortex will always out perform Ethereal Knives even though they're both phys spells that use similar passives/supports. After that, its just a matter of using as many damage multiplier gems you can while best utilizing curses, charges, etc depending on the build/skill.

Most "builds" don't take shape until 60+

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I've definitely noticed that not all skill gems are created equal. I've cycled through probably a dozen different elemental spell gems and ball lightning and arc are just on another fucking level as far as damage goes. They are so far ahead I'm not even sure why the other skills even exist honestly, certainly in the lightning element realm.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
4.0 is going to have some big shoes to fill.

Also, don't realize that portal MTX. Looks like it might be upcoming-league related.