Path of Exile

Ryanz

<Banned>
Only way of increasing your chance of certain maps to drop is by having that map unlocked, and others not.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
6L Maroh Erqi, that took all my luck from the past 2 years.

Now time to splurge on some decent armor, is Abyssus good idea for earthquake ?

Ryanz

<Banned>
GGG's customer support is so awesome. I emailed them about missing mtx, and within an hour they had a list for me with where my missing mtx were located.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
6L Maroh Erqi, that took all my luck from the past 2 years.

Now time to splurge on some decent armor, is Abyssus good idea for earthquake ?

I was using a 6link marohi earthquake build in prophecy league. I would NOT use an abyssus, there's really no need for it. Most of the builds put a devoto's devotion with 30% eq duration for their "ideal" item, probably mostly for the movement speed but I was just rocking a nice helm with 750 armor, lots of life and some chaos res (and cold res to cap me out, didn't need tri-res tho). I don't see any benefits to using abyssus in any 2h build or most 1h builds but at least with 1h builds the damage is somewhat significant.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Thinking about giving this game a shot. I generally prefer melee in ARPG's. Any good suggestions for a dual wield esque melee build?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I was using a 6link marohi earthquake build in prophecy league. I would NOT use an abyssus, there's really no need for it. Most of the builds put a devoto's devotion with 30% eq duration for their "ideal" item, probably mostly for the movement speed but I was just rocking a nice helm with 750 armor, lots of life and some chaos res (and cold res to cap me out, didn't need tri-res tho). I don't see any benefits to using abyssus in any 2h build or most 1h builds but at least with 1h builds the damage is somewhat significant.
That's what I thought, I think I'll drop the cash for some 2k+ armor and try to at least 5l it for the warchief totem

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about giving this game a shot. I generally prefer melee in ARPG's. Any good suggestions for a dual wield esque melee build?

Sure, play ranged or ranged/aoe melee (earthquake, ground slam, ice crash, ...) if you think about doing tier10+ maps (or at least 1h+shield). Random 1-2 shots are so much fun especially when a game is designed to kill you with random bursts out of nowhere. Plus it's safer to learn game mechanics.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, my opinion, man (I've been playing 'melee' almost exclusively since closed beta, though, and ranged these days is like upgrading your yugo to a bmw).

revvy

Trakanon Raider
Is there any trick for increasing your chances of getting certain maps to drops. The atlas unlock maps that I can't find are triggering me.
The easiest way to get a map that just won't drop is to vendor 3 of the previous tier map that is connected to it. e.g I just couldn't get an Arachnid Nest to drop after running however many Cells & Ashen Woods finally just gave in and vendored three Cells for an Arachnid Nest. Also check Zana after each daily as her stock will have changed it's useful for filling in gaps in low tiers if you've missed any.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider

Melee is in bad shape. I'd highly suggest any new player to learn the game with spell or bow.

Caliane

yes at stated.
Melee can be viable. But it takes more work, and knowledge of the game.
The "best" melee is melee that acts more like ranged skills.

Melee has several issues. first is targeting. Single target melee skills require name locking. If you "attack" without targeting an npc either the skill won't fire, or will fire and not hit anything, which is worse as you are locked into the attack animation..
So, skills which allow ground targeting are generally GREATLY superior. The earthquake, ice crash, etc. You attack zones, and npcs in the zones get hit. All ranged attacks work like this innately.

For those melee skills which do not do this, you basically MUST run "multistrike support". Which lowers your damage per hit, but makes you attack 3 times in succession, much faster. And, more importunity. auto targets. the skill will now automatically strike a target in range when used. Weakness is you can't focus fire, you have no control over which target, it auto targets for each hit. And, you are also locked into the attack animation for the duration. Very dangerous given heavy hits this game has.

The next issue is just that. Defense is king in this game. And melee is forced into ground aoes, and melee attacks. Melee then has to spend way more effort on defense then ranged.
Cursing with Enfeeble. And cast when damage taken-immortal call is almost required for all melee. +Fortify.

My frostblades pathfinder is doing VERY well atm.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
GGG's customer support is so awesome. I emailed them about missing mtx, and within an hour they had a list for me with where my missing mtx were located.

For the future do this:
Make a bookmark with this code

Code:
javascript:(function(){$.getScript("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cb2v44js3n3f7mc/poe.js");}());

Goto the main PoE website and make sure you are logged in and then click the bookmark you made for the above. The code will parse your chracaters and/or your stash and find all your MTX items and list where they are located.

I found this on Reddit and was cross posted from the PoE forums.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just started playing this pretty casually. Keep meaning to hook up with the guild but I keep missing Ryanz. Doing a tornado shot ranger, just got all of the ascendency shit done and tried out a labyrinth for the first time. Fuckin lawl. I guess they want you to actually wake up for those.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I just started playing this pretty casually. Keep meaning to hook up with the guild but I keep missing Ryanz. Doing a tornado shot ranger, just got all of the ascendency shit done and tried out a labyrinth for the first time. Fuckin lawl. I guess they want you to actually wake up for those.
The first two points for my ascendency were not that great so I waited until I got to Act 4 merciless and ran both normal and cruel lab around level 68. Even then i barely made it through the last boss phase on the cruel lab, had a real close call. I'm level 81-82 now and thinking about giving merciless lab a shot.

Ryanz

<Banned>

You can just add me as a friend in game (Ryanz_OMFG), and I can invite you to the guild, or just drop your name here.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
New to the game and looking for feedback on my build for my first real league character (Intropoo):
View Profile - Path of Exile - Intropee

I'm a ranger/pathfinder using Ice Shot (aoe) and Burning Arrow (single-target) didn't follow any particular builds for this character, but I looked at other people's skill trees so wasn't totally winging it.

At this point, I'm starting end game (at tier 3 maps or so), I think I have all the primary nodes on the skill tree that I was hoping to get. I feel I'm clearing content very comfortably at my level. My gear is basic but I think covers most of the essentials (haven't spend more then 1 chaos on anything yet except the quiver).

Important stats (I think):
Resists (Merciless): 60% Elemental, 25% Chaos
Life: +154% on skill tree, 3.3k hp
DPS (single target): 10k (w/ regular buffs)
DPS (aoe): 5k (w/ regular buffs)

Right now I'm wondering where to go from here. I have all my respec points available so I can make some adjustments if needed. I also have about 100 chaos available to spend on gear, so I'm confident I can max out resists pretty easily with gear. First off I want to know if there are any major oversights/inefficiencies in my build. Since I haven't done the end game before I don't know what to expect. Aside from that, I was going to start putting the rest of my points in crit skills which are easily accessible on the skill tree, but I'm not sure if going flat physical damage is better, or if there is something else I'm missing altogether.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give me some feedback if I'm on the right track or if I should make some adjustments before its too late.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Oh boy, this is going to be long :D

The tree doesn't look too bad, but you still have too little HP, so you end up relying on RNG to not die, which going to bite you in the ass sooner or later. Any points spent on mana regen are wasted, you run poacher's mark and the smallest % of leech on rings or in the tree below duelist is more than enough, which means you can go ham on auras afterward. Shaving damage so you can reach the HP rhombus next to the Scion would be huge, but I don't know if you can make it there. You definitely need Phase acrobatics like yesterday, since your resists are pretty bad and even maxed, spells can shred you. Primal Spirit, Quickstep and Druidic Rite seem without a clear role.

As far as gems go, it's not too bad, but you will want to run Hatred/Herald of Ash preferably both but those are hard to fit in without some high lvl gear. Definitely give Tornado Shot a try, what you have is ok, but tornado has bigger aoe and slower projectiles also offer another dmg boost. CWDT chain with golem/arctic breath also helps a lot, he has a tendency to die very often and arctic breath will give you a chance to start running when somebody slaps you. Caustic arrow might be better boss killer than burning, but it's been a while since I played a ranger. I'm also not clear on the interaction between drillneck and over 100% pierce chance, then it might be interesting to run a pierce gem...

As far as items go, you would have to spend like 5-10c to basically double your dps :D That bow is trash, look for physical only for 1-3c. Elemental damage is a waste, since physical gives scaling to all of your skills and auras. Same goes for elemental dmg on gear, however % weapon elemtal damage gives boost to your skills, so you want that + physical dmg. Raw HP wherever possible, resists to overcap so you can run elemental weakness maps, chaos res is not necessary, but you want it eventually too. Raw stats so you can run all your skills without using +30 nodes.

Oh and get those 2 ascendancy points from merc lab, they are invaluable

Well, I'm sure there will be somebody more knowledgeable than me

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Oh boy, this is going to be long....

Thanks Zaph, really appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback.

Any specific advice on the life target I should be aiming for? Either in the form of +% maximum life on skill tree, or total HP? I have some nodes nearby on the tree where I could get an extra +20% or so, but if I need to be making it down to the Scion rhombus that would require bigger changes obviously.

I mostly grabbed Primal Spirit and Druidic Rite so I could have 100% uptime with flasks, they might be overkill though with the other pathfinder points. Quickstep is probably a bit wasted as you said.

Regarding the bow, I overlooked the impact of different types of damage on weapon in relation to skills, thanks for point this out as its pretty obvious and easy to fix!

Caliane

Quickstep is a trap, yeah. I skip it all the time nowadays.
Primal spirit and druidic rite are a must for all rangers. Pathfinders or not.
(surgeons, and natures boon, etc are all effected by charge gain. And you do gain fractions.)
flask mods on belts are also OP, and not talked about remotely as much as they should. As well as conq efficiency quest jewel.

No such thing as overkill with charges. Flaskfinder, run master alch first, master surgeon second. Immune to elem status and bleeds. THEN, for the ultimate trolling, get an "of warding" flask.
Stibnite is best for this. 5s duration. 30 cap, 10 on use. 3 uses per full baseline. fills up fast with passive regen. 100% uptime in and out of combat for Curse immunity.

Scion life is overrated. its too far in most cases, unless you can actively make use of other nodes around it.
its 7-9 points just to GET to it for you. (70str is good, 1%regen admittedly.)
The 14%/20 life node is fantastic, but again, would be 9-11 nodes for 19%max/20life.

or. 4points, for 12%life, 18%ar/eva, 3% attackspeed in duelist. +2 more points in revenge of the hunted, for 16% eva, 8% lilfe. 6 points spent for 20% life, 18% ar, 34%eva, 3% attackspeed.

or, written in blood.
6points from coldhearted calc, which I am sure is in your plans, for 20% life, 10str, 25% es

12 for 12.
scion: 70str(=35life), 20life, 34% life, 1% regen.
all the others: 10 str(5life),18%ar,34%eva, 25% es, 3% attck speed, 40% life.

Last edited: