Path of Exile

surething_sl

shitlord
Maps are really easy to sustain once you start doing them. I've only ever had to farm <5x to sustain map farming.

Helps if you can team up with 1 or 2 other people and pool, but yeah, it's not hard to sustain.
Speaking of which, I'd like to find a few people to group with for maps, I've got a good supply of maps and currency ready. Just looking for some people who aren't retarded ninjas and can pull their own weight to group with. Possibly over vent/mumble!

Message me or add me in game: Surething

I should add, I'm a level 77 LA Ranger with decent-good gear on default.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Speaking of which, I'd like to find a few people to group with for maps, I've got a good supply of maps and currency ready. Just looking for some people who aren't retarded ninjas and can pull their own weight to group with. Possibly over vent/mumble!

Message me or add me in game: Surething

I should add, I'm a level 77 LA Ranger with decent-good gear on default.
Default... yeah...

ydalmia_sl

shitlord
The game would be so much better if they fixed the group looting, right now it kind of takes away from the fun when you are mostly trying to focus on looting rather than killing quickly..

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yesterday I killed something off screen with LA, and it dropped unique gloves, and someone just grabbed them up because there was no name on it by the time we got there.

Kinda sucks sometimes.

Elerion

N00b
I've come to the conclusion that they need to add a "/players x" command a la Diablo II. Grouping in this game is pretty terrible, it gets very laggy very quickly, the ninja looting is just plain retarded, there's no control for group leaders. They either need to add a "/players x" command or they need to remove the loot bonus from grouping. I have a thread on the POE Beta Feedback forum but it doesn't seem like many people view it or respond, feel free to support the idea over there so GGG can see it and hopefully make some changes.

I don't know how you guys are doing but I can't seem to sustain my maps playing solo, perhaps I could if I spent an absurd amount of currency on them but that's just unreasonable to ask considering how easy people have it in groups. In a group in this game you are basically playing pure carebear mode, there's extreme safety and the loot is just thrown at your feet by the monsters. Honestly I think that it's a laughable joke how people say the game is "hardcore" and so "tough" and serious when they defend the ninja looting and FFA loot garbage considering how much easier the fucking game is when playing in a group. I play on the Hardcore League and that's just garbage really, grouping is so much safer and the loot comes so much faster and easier that it's not even funny.
As far as I know, map drops are not affected by the # of players quantity bonus. Nor quantity bonus on your gear, for that matter. Maps have a fixed chance to drop from any monster of a sufficient level, and that chance is much higher in maps. The only thing that affects that chance is map quantity/quality.

Source:
http://youtu.be/8iosDjzeLKY
As stated by someone earlier, Kripp may be an unbearable douche, but he knows his shit.

There are some things wrong with grouping in this game, most notably the clusterfuck of spell effects and the loot timer (in pub games). Map mechanics seem fine.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maps drop rates are definitely not affected by groups, it'd suck if it were since that's basically force you to group. However what is affected is currency drops, and currency is extremely important once you want to progress further than 85 or so since you start having to chaos all your maps multiple times to get decent stuff on them and sometimes exalt them, and also chisel them all to max quality. That's a lot of currency and if you don't have the benefit of a group it's very hard to self sustain yourself without spending every single bit of currency you have into leveling.

I see that as a temporary issue though. Eventually they'll add a new tier of maps and a new tier and so on and it won't be as hard to level up further. I'd consider 90 to currently be the end. You can keep lvling sure but the time investment and money investment seems hardly worth it to me. Then again lvling to 90 isn't worth it to me either, it gets too fucking slow and I get bored too easily.

I'm looking forward to the patch next week though, looks like they might have interesting changes finally.

I'm also going to participate in the 1week race, however I will be following a different ruleset which is what kripp and friend decided to run for fun instead of actually competing in a week race where you don't have a chance to win unless you play 16-20hours a day for the whole week. Link ishttp://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/196375and it's basically a solo self-found melee only "race". I don't really care about the race aspect or the kripp thing but I like the premise of having to make melee only builds without twinked gear.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone have experience with both dual totem ice spear and lightning arrow builds? Which is more effective as you progress?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does anyone have experience with both dual totem ice spear and lightning arrow builds? Which is more effective as you progress?
LA is better imo. I've leveled probably 5+ dual totem builds and my friend who I always level with has done 3+ LA builds (from CB to OB for both of us) and I would say without a doubt that LA will just about always be better.

For ice spear, you need faster casting mods like crazy, because the base cast speed issuperslow. Even with Increased Crit Dmg, Faster Casting, etc., it's still subpar compared to LA. LA has the benefit of the weapon's attack speed. So, if you're using a Grove Bow or some variation of the 1.3-1.5 AS bows, you're going to pump outwaymore damage just based on that.

I will say that in the very early levels (1-10) Ice Spear is probably better, especially for yellow+ mobs. LA really shines once you get the proper supports on it (LMP, Faster Attacks, Chain, Life Leech, etc.). The difference in projectile speed is big too as far as hitting your targets.

If you need help with specific builds I can PM you some examples of what I would do for each.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
More effective/damaging than 2x ice spear totems, 2x curses, 3x spectres (double LMP forked fireballs), and fire traps would be quite a feat. Never tried LA myself though, I've always stuck with heavily modified Frenzy and/or Split Arrow on my ranger.

I think it's more of a playstyle thing though. I suspect some people would find the totem build boring since you just drop the totems and run around cursing everything. The only aiming involved is the traps, and there's no micromanagement beyond keeping your spectres alive at all costs.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
More effective/damaging than 2x ice spear totems, 2x curses, 3x spectres (double LMP forked fireballs), and fire traps would be quite a feat. Never tried LA myself though, I've always stuck with heavily modified Frenzy and/or Split Arrow on my ranger.

I think it's more of a playstyle thing though. I suspect some people would find the totem build boring since you just drop the totems and run around cursing everything. The only aiming involved is the traps, and there's no micromanagement beyond keeping your spectres alive at all costs.
LA scales stupidly because every hit creates an aoe that hits every target, with chain that means 3 AoE per shot and with LMP that's 9 AoEs per shot, that will hit every mob once each if they're packed enough. It leads to really stupid stuff and it melts packs of mobs really fast especially since it's lightning and so crits basically instantly 3shock stack everything for massive dmg.

The build is fairly late bloomer for full efficiency, but levels easily.

The spectre dual totem build is definitely strong and compensates for ice spear totems being meh with the OP spectres, but once in a while a shit pack avoids your freezes and starts raping your spectres and then it goes downhill pretty fast in terms of kill efficiency until next map.

As for ease of play, LA is probably even simpler. You put your mouse in the rough direction of the mobs and hold your LA key until everything is dead. Mobs jumping in melee range of you isn't a problem because you gain like 1-1.5k per second from life gain on hit and lifeleech and since the build has basically 0 offensive nodes needed, everything is health and str. And IR/Armor%. Maybe Static Blows/Catalyse but the DPS investment is lower than totem builds in general which needs quite a bit of cast speed and spell/elemental dmg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
LA doesn't shock anymore (edit: unless it crits)
It shocks on hits with static blows too, and the quality on LA increases the likelyhood it actually does since it increases shock duration(so lower treshold to shock).

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Map drops are very much all about the RNG. Last 5 I've done I've only had a single map drop (ie 1 total, not 1 each map run). My gear has 35% increased Quantity and I use currency to get the best drop rates from the maps themselves before I run them - map size, bigger packs etc. Couple of the maps were yellows. Down to one blue map now.

I've spent quite a bit of time running docks / Piety / Solaris / Lunaris for maps and not had a single drop. Luckily I started off with 4 or 5 from regular levelling and beating the game.

End game needs some work.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Are you guys sure that group and armor IIQ doesn't apply to maps as well? I don't recall ever reading that (or hearing that in the video) but I suppose it's possible. Based on my own experience though, doing maps solo I've run out of maps several times now and I played an old dual totem build and now I play a summoner in open beta so I can do pretty much any mod just fine. That's with playing multiple characters to merciless, so I had several characters worth of maps pooled before I ever started doing them.

Either way grouping is still imbalanced and terrible and the end game is as well. Grouping gives you even more of a map pool to use which will make it less likely that the RNG strikes you down, on top of giving you more currencies to use, on top of an extreme increase in safety. There are really so many benefits to grouping in this game that it doesn't make any sense to do otherwise, it should be available to everyone and right now it simply isn't due to the lag and loot system. End game RNG also needs to be fixed, it's no fun having to go farm some random area for maps when you run out. The lack of end game fun has halted my progression. I went from being top 500, to nearly breaking the top 500 on my next character, to now just slowly falling down the ladder to who knows where as I play less and less.

Ganthorn

N00b
The game would be so much better if they fixed the group looting, right now it kind of takes away from the fun when you are mostly trying to focus on looting rather than killing quickly..
Aye. I like their system of its yours for a bit then everyone has a shot at it but the timer is ridiculously short. If you have to fight at all there goes your item.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Aye. I like their system of its yours for a bit then everyone has a shot at it but the timer is ridiculously short. If you have to fight at all there goes your item.
Even better, when your unique drops and you can't pick it up because you accidentally picked up a white bow that took up the last space in your inventory.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's a good system, the timers are just too short. Grinding Gears has said it's something they will be assessing throughout beta.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the system but I agree it is to short. They could just make it longer or maybe add a series of gems that will increase the time for different item types (also add recipes to combine multiple types into one gem). Melee would get a clear advantage since they would have essentially a free gem slot but they could offset this by building in filters into the gems. Meaning if you are wearing a gem of magic quality then it would extend the timer by 0.5 seconds (times gem level) for magic quality items AND filter out anything below magic quality so you would need to hold a key to see items below magic quality.

If wearing a gem of magic quality and a gem of rare quality then it would filter out below magic quality but if ONLY wearing a gem of rare quality then it would filter out all items below rare quality. Throw in some expensive recipes to combine these gems into magic/rare/unique all in one gems and there you go.

Thumbs up/down?

Edit: There could also be gems that filter out items based on # of sockets, socket types, links, types of items dropped, maps, gems, etc. Could build a whole gem system around this.