Path of Exile

Intropy

Shit Gamer
omg you can use orbs on maps

On another noob note, is there a place I should be looking for upgrades other poe.trade? I'm getting to the point where there is a massive chasm between gear that is like 10c and gear that is 1+ex so finding it hard to get incremental upgrades I can afford. In some cases I can't even find any listings for combinations of stats I need on poe.trade. Where else should I be looking?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
poe.trade is pretty much it, are you sure you are looking at the correct combinations that can roll on an item ? The search engine is very powerful, but you have to be careful with the mods you are looking for. Incremental upgrades are worth it if you are currently struggling to progress due to difficulty, if not, no point.

I guess the bitching paid off, got a Torture Chamber to drop, where I promptly got nothing of value even though I had it with double packsize, I even forgot to vaal it for +1 atlas :-/
Also, this:
6C082F0A0A52E370BF5CF7ACE6B69A6DEBD55956.jpg

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
That's pretty much how it goes for gear. It's either not quite awesome and usually priced pretty cheap so it might actually sell (aka 10c gear) or it is a tad better and it's multiple exalts (or 10+ for really good stuff).

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I see you guys talking about 10c items like those are super cheap while I'm sitting here with 3c total. Someone explain to me the magic of getting chaos orbs. Is it from trading full sets of rares after level 60? Do they just start dropping like candy at some point? Help a poor beggar understand how to increase his wealth

Caliane

chaos recipe works for self found.
Traders do not even bother. Time spent picking them up, selling them. is better spent farming, and selling high value items.

Not candy, but they are a reasonable drop rate outright. I have 15 from just pure random drops at 83.

level 83. Actual number current +number(ish) for guess on amount total have consumed.
47+(80ish) blacksmith, 176+80ish armorers, 5+20ish glassblowers.(did recipe here),6 gcp, 31 chisel.
2 Regals, 58+30ish alchs I would guess, 15 chaos, 32+25ish), 6 blessed, no exalts, 436+(100ish) jewellers, 45 fusing, 296+(50ish) chroms(use recipe), 20 scouring, 11 regrets, 11 vaal, 28 +(10ish) silver coins.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
chaos recipe works for self found.
Traders do not even bother. Time spent picking them up, selling them. is better spent farming, and selling high value items.

I'm trying to learn how to build up currency in the game as well, can you clarify what those statements mean?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm trying to learn how to build up currency in the game as well, can you clarify what those statements mean?
For a full set of rares ilvl 60+ you can get a chaos orb from a vendor, for unid'd set you get 2, for 75+ you get regal orbs. However picking up stuff, organizing it and selling it to vendors takes up time you could spend killing monsters and hoping for more valuable drops, that can give you 10c+ at once and they aren't that uncommon if you know the prices. Since streamers and other hardcore players run solid and fast builds, it is more worth it to them to spend their time cleaning maps, instead of trying to ID rares, sell the good ones and chaos recipe the rest. It can easily double your time it takes to clear a map, so picking up only currency and maps + whatever you can from the boss ends up making you more money. I know I used to spend more time carrying rares to vendors than killing stuff on 120%+ IIR/IIQ maps. Of course, if you don't trade, then the chaos recipe is the only way to guarantee chaos orbs for map rerolls and so on and the rares have a chance to be a potential upgrade, so your priorities shift.

This league it's even more obvious, since essences give you better rares than you could ever hope to find and the prices reflect that, high lvl maps have become more valuable and the few uniques needed for meta shaper-killing builds have skyrocketed in price.

khalid

Unelected Mod
With essences, you can guarantee a chaos or regal recipe per map pretty much, if not multiple. Normally amulets were the cockblock on the recipes but with essences giving you "free" ability to rare its no problem. This means you can alt-regal maps and run pretty much without having to trade at all if you want.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Not sure spamming essences is worth it when you can just alch spam amulets, but 2alch=1c apparently, so they might be quite in demand. Deafening essences go for about 2c a piece, which is less than I expected ....

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Right now I'm lvl79 with 1ex + 130c in currency on hand, and a few hundred of most of the lower level stuff. Additionally I've probably spent around 1ex along the way buying random upgrades on poe.trade.

I don't know if the above is good or bad for my level, but my approach has been this:

Reserve the following stash tabs:
-'Dump' tabs to quickly off-load loot
-'Chaos Recipe' tab for chaos recipe items neatly organized
-'Appraisal' tab for stuff I need to price check before adding to Shop tab
-'Shop' tab to sell stuff on poe.trade

Step 1: I run whatever maps I can at my level as quickly as possible. I pickup all rares/uniques that drop. As soon as I'm done a map, I dump them all in the 'Dump' tabs as quickly as possible and move onto the next map and don't think about them again until later.

Step 2: After running a few maps (usually I need a break then anyway), the dump tabs are full so I go ahead and quickly ID everything. Anything that looks like it could be worth 1c or more on poe.trade I throw in the 'Appraisal' tab and worry about it later. Everything else I sell to vendor standing beside the stash, this keeps me with a healthy supplies of all lower level currency. This probably takes 5 mins to do.

Step 3: The 'Chaos Recipe' tab is neatly arranged in rows for helmets, body armors, small 1h weaps, gloves, boots, and jewelery. You can fit enough for 5 complete recipes. Amulets are the limiting factor, as soon as I get a rare amulet that isn't worth selling on poe.trade, I grab one of each of the above and vendor all for 1c. I refill this during the previous step when it gets low. This probably takes 10 seconds to do.

Step 4: At the end of the day I go to the Appraisal tab and look up everything on poe.trade and list it on the 'Shop' tab for slightly cheaper then the going price (I rather sell an item today for 5c then have to store it for a week hoping to get 10c). Anything that won't obviously sell for 1c I just vendor immediately. At this point I usually also take the time to look at everything in the 'Shop' tab that hasn't sold and mark down the price. I organize the tab where I put new items in on the left and move the older ones to the right to make this easy to track. Once it gets down to 1c I just vendor it if it hasn't sold in a couple days. This probably takes 30mins once a day.

Don't know if this helps or not, or if its the most efficient approach, but its been enjoyable for me.

Last edited:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I arrived at similar setup, I need to unload my divination cards tho, but pricing those has been a pain with all the price fixing going on with the good ones. I think you are a bit richer than me, however I'm gunning for 89 and have been bleeding chaoses on maps.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Haha, now that I learned in your earlier post that you get use orbs on maps I'd say my net worth is probably about to drop off precipitously. I'm glad though, its better then running like a white tier 4 map over and over again for hours waiting for a blue version to drop lol.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Eh, until t10 you are better off just alching and going, the only real killers are reflects, so you might have to tweak your gem setup and Temp Chains, since they feel so slow. If you roll something that's going to kill you, just toss it back into the stash and take another map. At least you will have a reason to roll another character.

revvy

Trakanon Raider
I can give some advice on money making for how I do it, for what it's worth I've been through about 10 ex so far this league but now my build is finished other than incremental upgrades I just have everything in chaos for map rolling.

Commit 5 tabs to trading, 10 alts (drop it to 8 or 1 alch as league gets to that point), 1 chaos, 3 chaos, 5 chaos, individually priced. Commit 1 tab to unid-rare recipe, collect one set at a time id everything else. The vast majority of stuff you drop is going to be terrible but it ends up as alts which build up very quickly. If an item has +life and > 60 res put it in the 1 chaos tab, if it's better put it in the 3/5 tab, if it's amazing price it individually. Anything that has >100% es and flat es and resists will sell especially in this league. Essences of woe are crazy good for making high ES gear for almost no investment, vaal regalia and titanium spirit shields have very few prefixes to choose from so a screaming essence of woe gives you flat es guaranteed then you just need a high % roll and it's easy money. Unique drops are just pot luck if someones made a meta build out of it or not, for example I sold a great old ones ward for 30c just because it's in some meta build and is in high demand, don't rely or expect any return from unique drops. At the end of a mapping session convert your alts using the masters if they are level 6 for the discount then use the vendor to go alt > jew > fusing. Then you can either try and manually link your chest when you get to 200/300 fusing or so, or sell them for ex.

Make an uber runner. Uber Izaro is easy, easy cash. If you can do a 4 key run in 10 minutes or less you can rake it in, this can be especially profitable if you fluke a decent head enchant on something desirable like a rats nest or a high es helm. You can also get a headstart on maps doing this and 60 kills is part of the endgame grind challenge if you're going for 40/40. Not possible to run him every day if you have something like charges & conduits he can one shot even the best geared character, but if you have portals & lieutenants you can laugh all the way to the bank. www.poelab.com for the days labyrinth layouts and features.

Pick a cheap build unless you know you can make a tonne of currency or fluke a skyforths or something. I see people complaining all the time that they don't have any money and they die all the time etc, when the build they're playing isn't even safe for a yellow map before 10ex investment but totally destroys everything once you reach that point, and that investment doesn't even include the cost of your 6 link. The only expense I have had this league was for my 6link because I threw 500-600 fusings at it and gave up and bought one pre-6L for 5ex. Everything else on my build was 20c or less and it can do everything in the game except ele reflect.

For maps it's just gritting your teeth and getting through it, eventually the +1 map will drop. Alch yellows and go, I've been doing Perandus mod recently to try it out but that's no good for map drops, if you really want to push it and have the chaos you can use Invasion but in my opinion you get better results from just blasting through as many as possible. Chisel red maps before you alch them, then vaal T13+. The biggest change I had in playing PoE was when I stopped getting annoyed that the next tier wasn't dropping and just started chaining them as quick as I could and just enjoying the grind. If you completely run out of whatever tier it is you feel you need to run buy a map off a stranger, there's no shame in it people seem to have this thing where they have to do their map progression solo but it's a lot easier just buying a map off someone else when you get stuck. Oh and with atlas it's definitely better buying the maps that you've missed unlocking as it's pointless running a Tier 4 Graveyard trying to get a Tower to drop when you're level 90.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
My big problem is I don't really know how to price weapons because in my limited playtime I've always played casters.

Started this season late as a firestorm build we'll see how it goes finally finished up merciless yesterday gonna kick it in dried lake for a bit before hitting maps. How do I go about joining the rere guild/clan?

revvy

Trakanon Raider
This is a great little tool that helps pricing: Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - PoE Item Info Script (Version 2.3+) - Path of Exile

It gives you a little breakdown of the total dps of an item and what tier each of the rolls has come from which can help you turn a 1c item into a 10c item because you notice that it's got an open suffix and you can put a resistance enchant on. For weapons it's very very difficult to find one that will sell outside of the first week or two, you'll need to find something 300dps for 1H and 500dps for 2H before you can even consider putting it up for trade, anything else is 1c or less and takes up lots of space so makes it pointless. I don't think I've ever found a caster weapon that I could sell. Weapons have such crazy variations on what can roll you need so much luck to get a good one.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm playing Marauder EQ Juggernaut and doing some passive points re-allocating soon because I can drop some int/dex notes that I no longer need. What is the general view on picking up jewel slots that require 1 extra strength node before I get to them, as opposed to 2x 5% life nodes (have enough of those just sitting there unclaimed for now)? Are there any important aspects to jewels that I overlook, because so far I only used them to pluck stat or resist holes.

Caliane

Good jewels are far and away worth any investment. Its not uncommon for any/every end game build to have 7 slotted.
Getting good jewels is another question entirely.