Path of Exile

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Finally "beat" the game for the first time (beat Malachai in Merciless). Ran my first map as well (arcade). My gear is laughably bad. Game is so much easier as ranged, once I got greater multiple projectiles I basically breezed through cruel and merciless all the way to Malachai. Against him my terribad gear finally caught up to me as anytime he hit me with anything it was pretty much instant death, even the channeled attack he does killed me in like 0.25 secs if he managed to hit me with it. Currently sitting at these amazing stats: level 70, 2180 hp, 75% fire, 75% lightning, 58% cold, -60% chaos, 38% evade, 40% dodge (arrow dancing). I have some easy crafting upgrades to get the hp number up (+hp on rings and such) and I'm pretty much getting nothing but +hp nodes for the forseeable future. What's a healthy hp total I should be aiming for?

I also got the prophecy for a guaranteed 5 link with 1 fusing. Already have a 5 link chest that I used an essence on but I got terrible rolls. Used an essence for +70-79 life and got +70, the other stats it rolled are 6% fire resist, 20% lightning resist, 15% reduced stun duration. I have a pretty decent chest that I found with 28% fire, 31% lightning, 17% cold, +72 life that I might use the prophecy on and then craft +evasion, or I might try to get a new weapon. Using a 3L Lioneye's Glare right now

Last edited:

Caliane

4k absolute min. Best have skill and solid other defenses for that. 5k+ better.
Ranger hp options are lowest. HP on all your gear is normal.
A guy just posted a deathless shaper Assassin kill, with 5k hp, on reddit.

Do not try Atziir with lionseye glare. Do NOT do reflect maps either.
"hits can not be evaded" applies to reflect damage as well. you will one shotyourself constantly, as that totally negates all your evade, and dodge from gear, acrobatics, and arrow dancing.

wait, dodge does work, I think. im wrong. But the evasion from armor is true.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think you'd have to go out of your way to avoid life nodes to have that. Base life naked at that level is around 1k I believe.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The game seems a little deceptive for new people that haven't played. I cruised through normal and cruel with only taking +dmg nodes without dying up until Act 4 in cruel, so I thought that not focusing on +life nodes would be fine. Merciless then went south a good bit, and used quite a few respec points to get life, and need to get life on each piece of gear still. Am level 75 with 2600 hp now, 52% evade, 40% dodge Ranger.

So, yeah, intentionally didn't take life nodes because there seemed to be no point to it through the first two parts of the game

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well, A4 especially ramped up the difficulty a lot, Malachai has been hit with the nerf stick a few times, but he is still the most difficult thing you can face until you get pretty deep into maps. The other thing is that stacking offense definitely works ... until you hit the bosses. GGG made a very good job that you can't really blast through any of the newer fights without facing at least some of the mechanics and learning how to avoid them.

Among other news, Flameblast totems are pretty fun, even though learning what does and doesn't kill me as a CI character has been a bit embarassing :D Especially since you can't just hit a flask to undo your mistakes.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
You really don't need 5k life to do maps and stuff... My lvl 89 wild strike evasion ranger that I did in prophecy had somewhere between 3500-4000 life and I could do up to t13 maps (didn't get any t14/t15 but i'm sure it wouldn't have been much of a problem, maybe the bosses). Uber Izaro 1shot me tho because evasion and izaro just don't mix, and 5k+ life wouldn't stop that unless I was maybe doing zero key runs.

Sure, if you want to grind shaper or uber atziri you might want 5k minimum but like I said the other day, not every character build has to be designed to clear 100% of the content in the game (especially for someone who just said he beat merciless for the first time).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They confirmed that with act5 coming, they'll remove one difficulty again, so it'll only be normal > merciless from that point on. Good change since the leveling process was getting pretty annoying with the 3 difficulties as they add more content to it.

That said act5 isn't coming for a while. Also other news is the next major patch(2.5 I believe) with have a directx11 version that should irmprove performance again.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Made it two whole days in this league before I got pissed off and quit. Good times when you spend 45 minutes trying to kill an essence mob in cruel docks with 1.3k dps on kb and you can't get it below 25% health at any point in time.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well, it's not like you absolutely have to kill them, and you probably have access to frost bomb at this point ...

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Started a Witch up, going with a vortex build I seen on the forums that sounded fun. Definitely going with much more on the health side. Definitely feel like i can't die, at level 34 and have 1400 hp I think, and could likely boost that by a good bit by getting some more level appropriate gear (using just some crappy uniques and nothing I've put any thought into). Kill a bit slower, but definitely can survive anything at this point.

Building for health nodes seems like the right course, this character should likely be way more able to survive at higher levels I'm guessing.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Okay, am I being a tard or do you have to do something special to get the totem showing how many challenges you have completed in the league? I am up to 24 and wanted to put the thing in my hideout, but don't see it anywhere. I have the challenger trophy, but not the totem thing that I have seen people use.

Have looked through all my mtx tabs and I don't see it anywhere.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think totems are awarded only at the end of the season, it doesn't scale in real time? Then again I never used any, or customized my hideout beyond moving all the shit the closest possible to the middle so I don't have to run around.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think you get only the one for the current league ? It should be in the same inventory like your workbenches and hideout decorations.

Caliane

Okay, am I being a tard or do you have to do something special to get the totem showing how many challenges you have completed in the league? I am up to 24 and wanted to put the thing in my hideout, but don't see it anywhere. I have the challenger trophy, but not the totem thing that I have seen people use.

Have looked through all my mtx tabs and I don't see it anywhere.
the totem is the trophy.
it gets bigger as you gain more.

khalid

Unelected Mod
So you seem to have to delete it and then put it back in your hideout for it to "grow". Thanks for those of you trying to walk me through the basics of PoE after 4000+ hours. :|