Path of Exile

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
which mean shit cause half my attack miss due to lag. but i do have a shitty connection :p
It still means that every attack that connects properly doesn't then roll a miss and do no dmg. Even if you desync a lot, it's still a good passive. Max hit rate is 95%, and that requires such a stupid amount of accuracy at higher levels that you wouldn't even reach that most of the time anyway. Generally hit rate is going to be 90-92% if you have good dex and at least one accuracy item, so RT always boosts you damage by a fuckton and unless you're doing a dagger build you're never going to get that much crit anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't know how Tenks thinks the UI is confusing. The passive skills UI has the most options of any UI I've ever seen, but I think that's an intentional burden that most people seem to like because it's tied so closely into the core gameplay. Everything else is a basic copy of most ARPGs.

I got up to level 12-14ish last night, killed the warden or whatever. I really love the environments of the game and it annoys me that they've captured the essence of Diablo1/2's feel in a 3d game so much better than blizzard could.

I'm doing templar + freezing pulse and so far it's okay. It seems like the best strategy is to face-tank or distract mobs and blast them with freezing pulse. I'm not yet seeing the game mechanics depth or theorycrafting ability of the game yet, but frankly I'd rather play my templar than watch videos of other people's builds.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tbh, normal is balanced around being easy regardless of what you do. Cruel is a bit harder, Merciless is where it starts getting serious. Thing is it doesn't take very long to clear the first 2 modes later on when rerolling and shit, I can generally do all of normal in about 2h30 or so and all of cruel in maybe 4-5hours more. First time you play though you'll probably take a ton longer.

Freezing Pulse is also super strong because of the innate chill+freeze chance and pretty good dmg, so you shouldn't run in too many issues. You'll eventually want a totem to tank bosses for you, you could start leveling one atm if you get the gem(Decoy totem, it taunts all mobs around it every second and gets additional hp per lvl) or you can wait until 31 to use the skeleton totem(spell totem support on a summon skeleton gem, it summons skeletons non stop which act as canon fodder and distractions).

Try to trade for a LMP gem too at lvl 19(LMP is Lesser Multiple Projectiles, it makes you shoot 3 freezing pulses at once instead, they do less dmg per hit but since they overlap it's still more overall dmg).

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I don't know how Tenks thinks the UI is confusing. The passive skills UI has the most options of any UI I've ever seen, but I think that's an intentional burden that most people seem to like because it's tied so closely into the core gameplay. Everything else is a basic copy of most ARPGs.
There are more ways that it's different. The gem system for skills, the way it's tied to your items, the flexibility it produces, and also the frustration sometimes because setting things up the way you want can be socket/fuse dependent since youre at the mercy of the rng. But it's all a very new an creative system. The no currency system also, creates a really interesting bartering environment. There are people who do nothing all day but try to play the economy like a stock market. Wouldn't be fun for me but it's interesting to see the kinds of cultures that develop around new ideas/systems in games.

My suggestion is don't go with a cookie cutter build. If you do that then you pretty much know what you need to do and get, and the game just gets boring, and frustrating.
The game is designed around encouraging creativity. There's lots of builds that may not be the best but are completely viable. It's not like gimping yourself in mmo's if you don't build that perfect spec. Don't get me wrong you can Stilll gimp yourself but there are so many viable specs you can come up with on your own and it will make the game more fun that way. New uniques and abilities will keep changing fotms too.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im not yet seeing the game mechanics or th eorycrafting ability of the game yet, but frankly I'd rather play my templar than watch videos of other people's builds.
Hmm yes I think this can be an interesting discussion if you will humor me.

Name for me an attack skill, defensive skill, and control skill. Can name a method instead of skill if you want and I'll try theory crafting if the base build would work or what potential paths the build would need to take to work. Hopefully this will show if and how much depth there is.

Others would be welcomed to join in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I'm trying to avoid is building my character around requiring specific items, skills or gems. So far nearly every build I've seen for freezing pulse includes passives that are either +health, +mitigation or +damage. I don't really see much that could frustrate me because I don't get a specific item/gem from RNG. Sure I might get fucked because I don't get the +range or multiple projectile gem, but I'm betting I can do fine without it and any other specific item.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm yes I think this can be an interesting discussion if you will humor me.

Name for me an attack skill, defensive skill, and control skill. Can name a method instead of skill if you want and I'll try theory crafting if the base build would work or what potential paths the build would need to take to work. Hopefully this will show if and how much depth there is.

Others would be welcomed to join in.
Sure let's do it.

1. Corpse explosion necro from D2.
or
2. Teleporting monk from D3.
or
3. Song chaining bard from EQ.
or
4. Charming enchanter from EQ.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here are some of the mistakes I have made with builds where I've pretty much had to abandon a character at higher level(50+) because they become unplayable, from early on in closed beta before I knew what the hell I was doing:

1)Taking lots of resist nodes. Gear at lvl 50+ is going to be enough to give you decent resists even with the higher difficulty resist nerfs. Not to mention you probably won't need mana flasks after a certain point(either due to regen, leech, clarity, blood magic, or whatever) so you can easily put some resist flasks on your belt. Doing this gimped my DPS and health so much that physical damage just destroyed me, if a monster reached me, I was dead. I'd recommend never taking a resist node unless its +all, and at least 10, and already on your way to something else that you need. The only individual resist I'd consider taking alone would be Chaos, and still only if its one of the big double-digit ones.

2) Going pure DPS. Obvious reasons, you can't kill anything when you're getting 1-shotted.

3)Speccing too much mana regen. Just like in D2, mana regen increases with the size of your mana pool, even without any outside gear/nodes adding to it. Mana can always be an issue early in the game, but eventually you're going to reach a point where your regen is greater than what your attacks drain. I honestly run with so many auras that my mana pool is like 90% reserved, but my regen is > my primary attack, so I can still attack endlessly. Taking a big regen node at the start of your tree is fine, just don't go out of your way early on for a lot of passive regeneration nodes, you might not need them end-game, and they could be hard to respec out of if they are along a primary branch that you travel down.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Detonate dead(corpse explosion) build:
A standard fire/aoe templar build. Could do a witch or marauder variation, possibly Shadow too but there is no real need for crits I feel. Most of the specifics for detonate are gonna be done skill based.

Detonate Dead does 18% of a corpse. +119% dmg from the passives, can add about 100% from gear, so +219% or 57% of a corpse. Add concentrated effect which increases this by 70%, so 97% of a corpse. Add culling strike to reduce the dmg needed by 10%, or in other terms increase by 10%, 107%. At that point you one shot any similar mob on the first detonate dead, not accounting for resists. Flammability or Elemental Weakness is a given here to reduce those resists, but still you should be at a good point. Other supports would be Fire penetration, Added Chaos and Added Lightning. Faster Casting is probably not required due to 20% quality Detonate Dead having 60% faster casting already. Life Leech is also an option obviously. To kill first mob, Bear Traps with Added Fire, probably 2 sets for safety, and also one set of Fire Trap since they benefit heavily from the spec. Zombies/Totems as you need, zombies especially could be good and with a few modifications it could be a decent pet build also.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For the other builds, it's more vague and there's a few ways to do the same thing. Well not bard, not happening for that, there's isn't really any similar mechanics besides Conduit sharing but that's not really close at all.

For teleporting monk, there's a few variations. For example you could do a ranger/duellist 2H sword flicker build, which was fairly common in the past. Its biggest weakness is it's prone to desync, but it otherwises does very high dmg while teleporting your around to instantly hit mobs. Think the D3 monk 7sided strike attack, but as your main spam attack. This is done by generating frenzy charges via Blood Rage(which means you'll want very high chaos resist for it to be worth it) and spamming Flicker. Flicker would need to be buffed by the usual, melee physical dmg, faster attacks, life leech and/or LoH, culling strike/added fire. Build would need to be super tanky also, basically all the health in the duellist ranger marauder area, with all the regen in that too. Maybe drop the ranger area, get the templar area for more regen. Most likely Blood Magic build. Build something like that, that's a ranger version, templar version possible too as I said but not sure which is better just making it quickly haven't done indepth comparison.

The other variation would be more similar to the dash monk skill, which would be to use very fast attack speed melee, dual wield most likely. I'd do a shadow. It would have very fast movement via whirling blades+faster attacks, high damage via dual strike+meleephys+faster attacks, can add flicker to move around instantly too at time, frenzy to generate charges. The problem is killing trash, the only good aoe for claws would be lightning strike or cyclone, both of which aren't necessarily very monkish. Something like this maybe

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sounds great. I take back what I said about theorycrafting with this game. I didn't see the depth of the game at first.

Speaking of theorycrafting brittle builds, anyone here try a build with Ghost Reaver + Chaos Innoculation? If that's already been discussed in this thread I'll go back and read it. This thread is a little hard to read with all the assumed knowledge + acronyms.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Made these builds quickly, there's probably some optimization and as I said there's variations, I haven't ran all the variations to figure out which is the most efficient and stuff like that. That's really where PoE shines, making builds. While I haven't played in a couple of weeks, I still sometimes pop the builder open and start making build for 30mins-1hour, see what kind of stats I can get for a particular build style and such. For now the limiting factor is the amount and variety of the skills. However since a few weeks ago, they've started adding 1 skill every week. While I don't think it'll keep going at this rate forever, I think they will for at least a couple of months, so build variety will naturally appear as they add more and more skills that make more and more builds viable. For example for the dual claw I'm not very happy with the 2 current skills for your main aoe spam, which makes the build a bit weak in my opinion. Relying on swords and cleave would be a lot better for efficiency. With the melee supports coming though, it might be viable to use only Dual Strike as your main skill, and in this case it'll become very interesting I think.

Anyway these were just made as examples, mostly the passives are there to support the playstyle but most of your build choices are made through your skill choices. You pick a skill you want to use, then pick the weapons that work with this skill, figure a way to run the skill with all its supports in terms of ressources(mana, blood magic, hybrid, and how much you need so you know if you have to take EB, mana% nodes or mana leech support etc) then figure what to use to help with that skill.

On your question, GR+CI(which are the acronyms, CI especially is very common), it works out alright but you need pretty decent gear. Also you need Life Leech supports, and for CI builds in generally you'll want a Chayula amulet(makes you immune to stuns) and a Dream Fragment ring(makes you immune to freeze). While not required, because stun, shock and freeze duration is based on your health and because you don't take any health with CI, you will get frozen/stunned/shocked for a long time when you get hit by a crit(or just a hit for stuns) which can be very annoying. But yes it's a viable build and obvious combo. Also getting Vaal Pact(near the center) is a very solid idea for this type of build, since Vaal Pact downside has no effect when you already can't use potions since you're CI, and it makes the build more solid by providing life leech instantly.

Edit 2: Also forgot about the charming build, while not charming, there's an insanely strong build relying on Dominating Blow(melee attack that converts mobs when you kill them). Add Conversion Traps to the mix and you can "charm" every mob you meet and have them fight for you. The only "requirement" for the build is to get the 45% increased skill duration near the ranger area toward the center. And obviousoly increased duration supports on these skills. It's quite a boring build though as you don't do a whole lot, but it works fine.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
New patch in just now with 4 new uniques added.

one of the new uniques is a sweet boot for ES builds

rainbowstride.png

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tbh, normal is balanced around being easy regardless of what you do. Cruel is a bit harder, Merciless is where it starts getting serious. Thing is it doesn't take very long to clear the first 2 modes later on when rerolling and shit, I can generally do all of normal in about 2h30 or so and all of cruel in maybe 4-5hours more. First time you play though you'll probably take a ton longer.
That's the awesome thing about the hardcore races. There are so many odd situations you need to look out for
..running around merveil's daughters on a multi-projectile race
TrainWreck1.gif

TrainWreck1.gif

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vorph is being overly negative.
No, I'm being stubborn, and imo the negativity is justified. If you want boring and zero-sense-of-accomplishment, look no further than getting your items from some dude in a trade chat.

For reference, this is the best item (in terms of being closest to my idea of a perfect set of affixes for a given slot) I've ever looted or crafted:
rrr_img_19054.png

Unfortunately, it's a ilvl60 belt that has mods that are level 22, 42, 13, 7, and 5. The last two are fixed, but the other three could have been a hell of a lot better. Even so, I expect to be using it basically forever unless I decide to buy a Perandus Blazon.

Like I said above, I don't expect 6L Vaal Regalias with triple ES and triple resist mods to rain from the sky, but I do expect to do 30+ hours worth of maps and not sell literally every single item to the vendor. Sure, you can just say that my luck is horrible, and I wouldn't even argue that point. That doesn't explain away the absurdity of it taking on average 200 orbs of unfusing to make a 5L from a 6S. I've already used about 11-12 GCP worth of them trying to link up my current robe, for something that would be worthmaybe5 or 6 GCP if I actually got a successful roll. The very last one linked it back up in the same 4L/2L configuration it had when I picked it up off the ground, so I just said fuck it.

rrr_img_19054.png

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, I'm being stubborn, and imo the negativity is justified. If you want boring and zero-sense-of-accomplishment, look no further than getting your items from some dude in a trade chat.

For reference, this is the best item (in terms of being closest to my idea of a perfect set of affixes for a given slot) I've ever looted or crafted:
rrr_img_19054.png

Unfortunately, it's a ilvl60 belt that has mods that are level 22, 42, 13, 7, and 5. The last two are fixed, but the other three could have been a hell of a lot better. Even so, I expect to be using it basically forever unless I decide to buy a Perandus Blazon.

Like I said above, I don't expect 6L Vaal Regalias with triple ES and triple resist mods to rain from the sky, but I do expect to do 30+ hours worth of maps and not sell literally every single item to the vendor. Sure, you can just say that my luck is horrible, and I wouldn't even argue that point. That doesn't explain away the absurdity of it taking on average 200 orbs of unfusing to make a 5L from a 6S. I've already used about 11-12 GCP worth of them trying to link up my current robe, for something that would be worthmaybe5 or 6 GCP if I actually got a successful roll. The very last one linked it back up in the same 4L/2L configuration it had when I picked it up off the ground, so I just said fuck it.
You know the cost of improving items deliberate right? It is one way to control the inevitable inflation that always occurs in these games. Personally I like it because you can choose to spend absurd amounts Min/maxing or you can just wait to buy a good item you see. I can understand where you are coming from though.

rrr_img_19054.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After playing for another hour or two last night and not being drunk I found the UI concerns pretty invalid. The XP progress bar isn't as large as I thought it would be so it kind of hid from me a bit. I also was expecting my str/dex/int to be somewhere on the offense tab and not big and bold up in the top right corner of the character page.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to click on linked items.