Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
One of the issues is GGG is trying to balance a game with people who can run thru the story acts very quickly because they have done it for years and have a lot of game knowledge. Against people who have 1-2 leagues under their belt and may have done a couple of characters per league. It can start to drag.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Haven't had much chance to play Flashback until last night due to end of semester crap. Had no red maps completed at all, about 60ish atlas completion. I go to check my map at some point, notice elder had spawned in Sunken Temple heh. Not a single red map completed, zero memory fragments done.

Really dumb to have such a random system. In bestiary I farmed forever trying to get him to spawn in a tier 15 and never got it. Then this happens. W T F.

Anyway, got all the other memory fragments and now going to look around for someone willing to let me kill their shaper in their atlas in a 14+.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the issues is GGG is trying to balance a game with people who can run thru the story acts very quickly because they have done it for years and have a lot of game knowledge. Against people who have 1-2 leagues under their belt and may have done a couple of characters per league. It can start to drag.

When we do it as a group we split the areas and portal each other around and it makes it much faster than being alone. When im alone I just do what Raiz and Waggle do, basically skip areas unless they are +2 levels and run through without killing if my levels get too high. There is a million ways, I dont even like being in the fast groups i feel im getting too old :(

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I usually take 2 days to get to maps or whatever, I don't mind it taking slower, I find the leveling interesting enough, I actually ID gear and shit which is horribly inefficient but I know once I get to maps I'll get bored pretty quick anyway. The thing is you can make it really fast if you know what you're doing but most people never learn how to run the leveling process fast. I could see them shortening some stuff but not that much, they'd have to rework leveling a lot to make it noticeably shorter by cutting content or whatever. The main thing they could do to make stuff faster on new rerolls is making lab league wide, so you do the shit once and then all your chars have lab unlocked(maybe keep the map lab locked). Just have an ascendency selection thing in the hideout or at the entrance in case people don't unlock their hideout for whatever reason and boom 6points right away.

But honestly that sounds like something only a minority of people care about, leveling being too slow. I guess a kinda valid complaint is not being able to level doing maps instead and maybe they should work on a system letting you do that.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I usually take 2 days to get to maps or whatever, I don't mind it taking slower, I find the leveling interesting enough, I actually ID gear and shit which is horribly inefficient but I know once I get to maps I'll get bored pretty quick anyway. The thing is you can make it really fast if you know what you're doing but most people never learn how to run the leveling process fast. I could see them shortening some stuff but not that much, they'd have to rework leveling a lot to make it noticeably shorter by cutting content or whatever. The main thing they could do to make stuff faster on new rerolls is making lab league wide, so you do the shit once and then all your chars have lab unlocked(maybe keep the map lab locked). Just have an ascendency selection thing in the hideout or at the entrance in case people don't unlock their hideout for whatever reason and boom 6points right away.

But honestly that sounds like something only a minority of people care about, leveling being too slow. I guess a kinda valid complaint is not being able to level doing maps instead and maybe they should work on a system letting you do that.

I only ID uniques unless I need something for a specific slot, otherwise I only loot 3-4 slot rares so I can cram more in my inventory, to earn early league currency.

Also, Getting to act 3 and instantly having 6 ascendancy points? I like it, but it's not practical. It's not hard to run through lab anyways after you have it unlocked, and having it unlocked means you can skip like 3-4 full areas completely.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I know it's not bad was just saying, it'd be easier to implement than somehow reworking the whole leveling process so it's faster, and would save a bunch of time while making players feel good about it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't think actually having to do the labs to get your points is a problem. I'd rather just see them gated solely by character level so that even when I don't feel like running through areas for max efficiency I can still do them at the earliest possible level rather than ending up not being able to get into normal/cruel until something like level 40/62 respectively.

Eternal lab is where my real beef with trials is though. I have never completed the trials [without guild/friend help] earlier than level 87, and 90+ isn't even a statistical anomaly unless you enjoy running T1 maps long after their xp has dropped to nothing.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

As long as your having fun speed means nothing. My IRL buddies come over on weekends and they spend 50% of their time looking at loot and their inventory.

My autism is playing mostly all Shadow builds since beta. I used to be worse and only did trapper shadow builds in beta, i was a real hipster.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
As long as your having fun speed means nothing. My IRL buddies come over on weekends and they spend 50% of their time looking at loot and their inventory.

My autism is playing mostly all Shadow builds since beta. I used to be worse and only did trapper shadow builds in beta, i was a real hipster.

Then I assume this league is full on hipster since it seems they are going gangbusters with traps.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Oh yeah I know that too, every league I'm like "damn nice new skills, nice reworks, maybe I'll do this or that". And then I make a witch summoner(necromancer since they added ascendencies but even before that I just made summoners). I just like summons and while I think PoE isn't perfect with summons(I miss the Grim Dawn "go there/attack this" button) it's still pretty fun.

Once in a while I make a melee, generally a ranger frenzy stacking dagger/sword build with whirling blades and some attack skill like reave. I can't remember the last time I played an actual caster past 30. There was just one build that wasn't summoner or melee that I liked back in beta, my explosive arrow witch. Maybe I should try to make one again this patch with the ignite buffs, but at the same time everyone is going to play fire builds and shit's gonna be expensive as fuck probably.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do you guys who speed clear resist the temptation to pick up/id gear? I know from a practical standpoint that it would be faster to filter out rares and focus just on currency drops but my ocd cripples my ability to do that. It’s like , I’m just too scared that those boots I’m not picking up could be tri res 30 ms, or that foil I leave on the ground could be 350 pdps.

Damnit every time I want to take a break from this game the next league announcement just draws me back in

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How do you guys who speed clear resist the temptation to pick up/id gear? I know from a practical standpoint that it would be faster to filter out rares and focus just on currency drops but my ocd cripples my ability to do that. It’s like , I’m just too scared that those boots I’m not picking up could be tri res 30 ms, or that foil I leave on the ground could be 350 pdps.

Damnit every time I want to take a break from this game the next league announcement just draws me back in

I mean you aren't going to find any of that while leveling. If you are talking in general then its because clicking loot is cumbersome. It's kind of a time vs reward in which time is distance traveled divided by the ear piercing noise your neversink filter makes. In all the time you picked up to ID tri res boots the other guy probably picked up 50c worth of currency and other gear to just buy them in less then half the time.

Nobody is saying you are wrong for what you are doing though. This is why we play the fucking game. Hell I love the ID shit and move slow myself too.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
That moment when you are trying to get through the ascendancy labyrinth and get the permanent move speed buff and begin thinking of all those traps you are going to have to carefully get through: !@#$!%^

Vorph

Play a few hundred hours picking up shit and id-ing it without ever finding an item worth more than a chaos or two and you'll be happy to play the next thousand hours using an ultra-strict loot filter. I've had far more success doing the 2c unid recipe while I'm still getting ilvl 60-75 drops than I ever did id-ing shit, but I rarely even bother doing that anymore. The only magic/rare item type I ever have actual success with is jewels.

Oh yeah I know that too, every league I'm like "damn nice new skills, nice reworks, maybe I'll do this or that". And then I make a witch summoner(necromancer since they added ascendencies but even before that I just made summoners). I just like summons and while I think PoE isn't perfect with summons(I miss the Grim Dawn "go there/attack this" button) it's still pretty fun.

Once in a while I make a melee, generally a ranger frenzy stacking dagger/sword build with whirling blades and some attack skill like reave. I can't remember the last time I played an actual caster past 30. There was just one build that wasn't summoner or melee that I liked back in beta, my explosive arrow witch. Maybe I should try to make one again this patch with the ignite buffs, but at the same time everyone is going to play fire builds and shit's gonna be expensive as fuck probably.

I end up hating everything I play that isn't Slayer (leech). Thankfully they made Ascendant great again and Slayer/X is as good as or better than Duelist in most cases or else things would be getting rather monotonous.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I need you guys to help me decide what to play for the next league.

I've played an Elementalist Witch with Firestorm that I hated because it was squishy and was animation locked while casting too much.

I've also played a fairly tanky Righteous Fire/Scorching Ray Jugg for Bestiary and was a pretty big fan except that clear speed in maps was not fantastic until I got my ridiculously expensive Kaom's Heart and Kaom's Ways.

For this Flashback I just played a Tornado Shot/Barrage Deadeye and found it to be just as annoying as the Witch. Squishy and frequently animation locked with poor.

Given all of this, I feel like I'd like a tanky build that clears at a great speed but can also take down bosses without going on forever. I particularly appreciated Righteous Fire since I didn't have to pay a whole lot of attention to clearing weak trash mobs.

Any suggestions?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Jugg Molten Strike got me to 36 for the first time during Bestiary. Clear speed isn't the best, but it's good enough. Far more common to do Reave/Blade Flurry, I just can't stand either skill.

I'm going to be trying Jugg Infernal Blow next league, assuming the single target boost it gets is substantial.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jugg and Champion builds are always good for the tanky dps route, Reave/BF Champion felt really good for a starter and can scale into end game well enough.

Vorph

I'm really counting on the Vaal revamp to either Ground Slam or Double Strike to be the new Sunder++ tier of melee skills. No idea what the hell I'm going to do if when that doesn't happen and they're still just mediocre skills that are a little bit more flashy now.

I'd love to find a clear speed/bosskilling build even close to what EE's Ngamahu MS/Cyclone zerker was like back in Harbinger, but I haven't seen anything comparable since then. Not to mention that MS is vastly more popular now and getting a 3-ball 100 life Starkonja would probably cost 10x more than I paid for mine back then. I played pure MS during my brief stint in Bestiary and it was really fucking annoying to see the new prices on relevant stuff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
3 ball MS cost me about the same as Xoph's Blood. Oh...100 life...why such a specific requirement?

I would put any Molten Strike build on the same level, it's just a retarded broken skill. Reave/Blade Flurry is just as good too. I'm hoping Infernal Blow is as well. Notice a trend with stat stick abuse?

You can play Slayer with bow builds, tornado shot and barrage is comparable.

Vorph

3-ball was 10-12ex when I was playing Bestiary, regardless of the life roll (98-100 life was maybe an extra ex).

Not really a fan of bow or wander stuff, especially since all that shit is insane $$$$ too. I just want a good melee skill that isn't Blade Flurry (hate the charge thing) or Sunder (just plain hate it, the most boring skill ever). Never tried Reave, but I don't think anything is changing with it in 3.3(?) and it seems kind of required to bring BF along for single target. Was really hoping for something new and shiny.