Path of Exile

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone else in anarchy? Name kazorafoh - Lvl 23 right now and plan on going dual spork. I wish I could get a goldwyrm or andvarius to drop:/ having twinkled alts on standard with these the difference is painfully noticeable now. Fearing not having the gems or fusing I need to get even a 4l, let alone qua gems and 5l

Charles_sl

shitlord
Well my character died. Darn I really don't want to restart :/

As for the whole auction house discussion, these websites are basically auction houses. The only difference is that they are a pain and a huge hassle to use. The bottom line is that it should be easier to simply trade in the game. Rather than sitting in trade chat, using third party websites, scouring through threads on a forum or having to make gigantic trade lists, there could be a much better and much easier system.

I don't get the complaints about bad items not being worth anything either. If there are enough good items in the game, then why shouldn't they be available to people? If both players come to a mutual agreement on the value of an item, that's what the item is worth. It works the same way in Diablo. If an item is bad, it's bad. Don't cry in your cheerios because you never find anything good and have to pawn off your garbage items in trade chat. Not being able to easily bring items to the market just makes prices inflate and forces people to buy lesser items at a higher cost, which makes it harder on the average Joe playing the game.

What is the reason for not having an auction house or at least a better system for trading? There's no benefit that the players get from the current system. Everyone has to play more and waste more of their time trying to do something as basic as trading. It's ridiculous. The current trade system is nearly as bad as their original loot system was.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's less about the 'have it now attitude' and more about the 'I don't like sitting in trade channels all day attitude'.
Last time I played I just hit the trade channel with a "WTB x, WTS y" every 3-5 minutes during my normal grind. If I got interested people I'd stop the slaughter for a second and go do the deal back in town. Helped a lot that I didn't fuck around with the "make offer" bullshit. That's the type of stuff I don't have time for. Every night would spend 5-10 minutes updating a forum thread with my gear which got a surprisingly nice amount of things sold for me.

Elerion

N00b
Except (unless they fixed it) links break the second you leave town unless you carry the items on you. Thus you can't spam your WTS items while grinding.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well my character died. Darn I really don't want to restart :/

As for the whole auction house discussion, these websites are basically auction houses. The only difference is that they are a pain and a huge hassle to use. The bottom line is that it should be easier to simply trade in the game. Rather than sitting in trade chat, using third party websites, scouring through threads on a forum or having to make gigantic trade lists, there could be a much better and much easier system.

I don't get the complaints about bad items not being worth anything either. If there are enough good items in the game, then why shouldn't they be available to people? If both players come to a mutual agreement on the value of an item, that's what the item is worth. It works the same way in Diablo. If an item is bad, it's bad. Don't cry in your cheerios because you never find anything good and have to pawn off your garbage items in trade chat. Not being able to easily bring items to the market just makes prices inflate and forces people to buy lesser items at a higher cost, which makes it harder on the average Joe playing the game.

What is the reason for not having an auction house or at least a better system for trading? There's no benefit that the players get from the current system. Everyone has to play more and waste more of their time trying to do something as basic as trading. It's ridiculous. The current trade system is nearly as bad as their original loot system was.
Keep in mind I would like trading to be easier, BUT:

These arpgs are about killing stuff for better loot. That's all they do. The loot isnt there to get you into an entire different portion of the game where it becomes irrelevant. Now if you short-cut the loot acquisition imo you also shorten the amount of entertainment you can draw from the game. On the other hand killing stuff faster then you did yesterday or equipping that sweet new item is fun also. So these games need to find a balance between that and ruining your own game experience by going from zero to hero through the AH instead of playing the game (happened for D3, not for everyone but for many people. Although D3 has plenty other flaws too).

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just started playing this and DAMN, it instantly feels better than D3 did over a year. Been messing around with the ranger and started to look at the witch. Shes the go-to character if i wanna spec into something like a necro with summonings and shit?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just started playing this and DAMN, it instantly feels better than D3 did over a year. Been messing around with the ranger and started to look at the witch. Shes the go-to character if i wanna spec into something like a necro with summonings and shit?
While every class can be anything, yeah witch is favored for summoner oriented builds since all the summoner nodes are around the witch area. Can do a solid templar summoner too though, just won't feel very summonerish until later on. Have absolutely no idea how summoners fare nowadays after the damage/health changes.

Caliane

witch has the easiest access to summon passives yes. templar is fairly close.
Passives are fairly important for summoning builds.

Technically anyone can slot a summoning skill however.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
witch has the easiest access to summon passives yes. templar is fairly close.
Passives are fairly important for summoning builds.

Technically anyone can slot a summoning skill however.
I use a spell totem support linked to a summon skeleton spell right now to help with crowd control. I am trying to level a CI, crit dagger, shadow right now. I am in the weak ass pre-CI phase and around level 47. I have no summon passives, but that combo is very effective at creating blobs of enemies I can just sit back and spam lightning strike into.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
don't think I can recommend dual spork to anyone after my attempt. Definitely seems good at endgame but leveling up is painful and boring. Starting to realize, in the new leagues without twink gear and gems easily accessible, there is a definite restriction on viable leveling pathways and respeccing around lvl 60 or so will probably be needed for some of these builds.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
don't think I can recommend dual spork to anyone after my attempt. Definitely seems good at endgame but leveling up is painful and boring. Starting to realize, in the new leagues without twink gear and gems easily accessible, there is a definite restriction on viable leveling pathways and respeccing around lvl 60 or so will probably be needed for some of these builds.
I tried to warn you in game but you've been afk. I have a 61 dual spork (free respeced my first gimped witch) on standard with pretty decent gear (5L, all gems i need, and high Es) and its still kind of rough. Definitely not a good starting build.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider

These arpgs are about killing stuff for better loot. That's all they do. The loot isnt there to get you into an entire different portion of the game where it becomes irrelevant. Now if you short-cut the loot acquisition imo you also shorten the amount of entertainment you can draw from the game. On the other hand killing stuff faster then you did yesterday or equipping that sweet new item is fun also. So these games need to find a balance between that and ruining your own game experience by going from zero to hero through the AH instead of playing the game (happened for D3, not for everyone but for many people. Although D3 has plenty other flaws too).
This was my experience with D3 as well. Initially had a blast and supported the idea of the AH. Quit two weeks later not knowing truly why aside from not having fun any longer. In retrospect, I think it was the utter reliance on the AH for properly equipping ones character. If they ever released an AH-disabled realm I could see myself returning to check it out but something tells me that the game isn't even remotely tuned to operate without an AH.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This was my experience with D3 as well. Initially had a blast and supported the idea of the AH. Quit two weeks later not knowing truly why aside from not having fun any longer. In retrospect, I think it was the utter reliance on the AH for properly equipping ones character. If they ever released an AH-disabled realm I could see myself returning to check it out but something tells me that the game isn't even remotely tuned to operate without an AH.
One huge problem with D3 (It might be true still I dunno) is that because it included a handful of levels of progression post level cap and each level gave dramatically better gear you were wasting your time if you weren't fighting the hardest possible mobs you could kill. Maybe that evened out some I dunno.

In PoE much of the best gear is still at the top but the currency is flat through the entire game and it's not in your interest to fight the toughest mobs possible.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I check out D3 for half an hour every other month, they're taking baby steps where they should take bold strides. Game's screwed until an expansion, and with the way Blizzard works (see SC2 expansion timeline plans) that'll be 2015, aka way too late.

PoE though - I wish they had made the same ladders for soft- and hardcore instead of different ones. I cant make up my mind what to try out in the next weeks. Once season 3 races are on I'll mostly be back in those.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Mechanics question:

if a passive says 20% increase chance to critical hit : does it also apply to spells? Also I believe it gives you 20% more of whatever value your chance to crit is, not just another 20% chance to crit.

However, the assassination talent says 40% increased critical strike chance (again I think this is just melee) but also 20% increased crit multiplier, which I think is physical AND spells.

Any PoE gurus that can clarify? Playing some HC again.

Caliane

yes. unless it specifies attack or spells, it does both.
And yes, it increases the skills crit chance by 20% of what it is naturally.
freezing pulse has a 6% base iirc. so +20% is 7.2%

Charles_sl

shitlord

That's just plain old MUD-flation. It's the same situation in Path of Exile with the exception of these new Leagues, which are basically ladder resets. I checked prices after not playing for quite a while on Hardcore and there's a huge amount of MUD-flation going on, you can equip a character for next to nothing very easily.

The difference is that in Diablo 3 the MUD-flation is more obvious due to the use of the AH. POE has the same problem though, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Both games have the exact same problem with loot, which is that "good" stats increase massively over time. Of course POE has a loot system that is much better and more fun in general, but that doesn't change the fact that it suffers from the same sort of MUD-flation and that the current trading system sucks.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
yes. unless it specifies attack or spells, it does both.
And yes, it increases the skills crit chance by 20% of what it is naturally.
freezing pulse has a 6% base iirc. so +20% is 7.2%
Thx for confirming =).

Feels good to be able to pick this game up and apply previous game mechanic knowledge and be literate.

Caliane

base crit chance does vary for each skill. hit C and check out the stats on each to see the run down.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's just plain old MUD-flation. It's the same situation in Path of Exile with the exception of these new Leagues, which are basically ladder resets. I checked prices after not playing for quite a while on Hardcore and there's a huge amount of MUD-flation going on, you can equip a character for next to nothing very easily.

The difference is that in Diablo 3 the MUD-flation is more obvious due to the use of the AH. POE has the same problem though, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Both games have the exact same problem with loot, which is that "good" stats increase massively over time. Of course POE has a loot system that is much better and more fun in general, but that doesn't change the fact that it suffers from the same sort of MUD-flation and that the current trading system sucks.
Mudflation in the MMO sense is not quite the same, but if you want to apply the term here, fine with me. That's not my point anyway: In both PoE and D3 its possible to reach a plateau where getting loot improvements is essentally impossible because your gear is too good. I am not disputing that. The problem is easy trading (like in D3) and one-dimensional loot (like in D3) make it a thousand times faster and much more obvious. Taking myself as an example, I would have a much more forgiving opinion of D3 if this inevitable plateau was reached after playing for half a year and playing another build would require different gear in most slots to reach the same plateau.

Interesting, varied loot is of course very important, and D3 is lacking in this regard. But if D3 had not come with any AH (gold or otherwise) it still would have be interesting much longer because even with the one-dimensional loot track you dont plateau that fast. As a designer you want to curb inflation and reaching "the end" should take reasonably long so players stay interested - having an AH obviously fast tracks the player. So leaving it out slows the player down. That's good. The extreme solution in the opposite direction would be to not allow any trading between players. This chat and forum based trading with no automation is a middle ground - nobody's ever going to be happy with each solution but between

A) AH with ingame currency
B) forum-based trading
C) no trading at all

I'm currently favoring B. Not enough to engage in it mind you. But I do have the option if I ever want to, and I can trade with my friends without any hassle. C would take away that freedom of choice, and A would fast-track me to "the end" and make me lose interest in the game much faster. Maybe people that get paid for it can find better solutions in the middle ground. My best suggestion is some kind of trading UI in the official forum from which you not only arrange but also execute those trades without the need to log into the game. That way people have much easier access to trading but it still takes time and effort. Now you can argue trading should be as easy as possible but like I said above, in a game like this that only puts you into the "game over" state right away - might not even play it then.