Path of Exile

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
C) no trading at all
I'm normally very pro-markets. I traded quite a lot in D2 because the odds of finding all the best gear yourself are essentially zero. Despite liking the idea of the AH on paper I was instantly bored of it in D3, which I think is due to the horrific blandness and broad utility of the items. Perhaps an interesting midpoint between "instant access to any item found by anyone, ever" and "man mode" would be a game where drops were only tradeable between and within the accounts of players present in the game at the time of item generation. In combination with a drop rate that scales non-linearly with the number of players and itemization that places varied situation gear and different spots in the game world, this could be quite a powerful incentive for social play. It would also retain the sense that loot was earned instead of bought.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
they should have a server/league/whatever that has an AH and let guys who want to spend 6 months farming shit in a game do it in another league, lol.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They really made some impressive changes in the period I was gone. Gotta love this GGG team. They don't have hundreds of millions of dollars and they run quite the Diablo 2 successor I must say.

I checked out one of those 2 auction type sites, says I had to sign up for a cart... looks like RMT site? No interest if so, just wonderin'.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
they should have a server/league/whatever that has an AH and let guys who want to spend 6 months farming shit in a game do it in another league, lol.
For PoE it might be a concern about splitting the playerbase too much? There were already complaints about the 4 month league fracturing the hardcore league players.

For D3 the only reason to not make several "game mode" servers is the almighty $

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For PoE it might be a concern about splitting the playerbase too much? There were already complaints about the 4 month league fracturing the hardcore league players.

For D3 the only reason to not make several "game mode" servers is the almighty $
I'm talking softcore only, I'd never play hardcore on a beta game.

African

Golden Knight of the Realm
Started last night on the Onslaught league. Changes are nice and the increased difficulty is interesting. Currently lv 31 shadow building towards dual spork. If anyone wants to roll together let me know. IGN: HomeSchoolFailure

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
This game has me hooked to a frightening level. I can't stop rerolling characters. Started with EK witch, then ele cleave mara, then FP witch, then LA ranger, and now discharge templar. I've got 2 guys to 70 but just get that craving to roll someone new. It's made me flat out broke, regearing new characters, but damn is it fun. The discharge build is just absurdly fun. I'm kind of following krip's discharge build that he's using in Onslaught simply because I don't have money for a Voll's chest yet, which means at this point it's just 4 endurance charge discharges and nothing else. Got myself a shitty Searing Touch and Q13 discharge. The staff is fucking sweet for this build.

I started watching Krip's stream and it's quite informative. He's had some shitty luck in Onslaught - 1 shot by Kole after a week of playing, then rerolled as a support build and cast enduring shout and got surrounded and gibbed, then last night got stunlocked to death by some Roahs. In 24 hours he gets right back up to lvl 64. Insane. Anyway it's worth watching the stream if you wanna learn some stuff, especially about discharge builds which is what he's focusing on now.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
A lot of people beat up on Kripp for whatever reason but I've learned a huge amount from his stream and channel.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Yea it's weird that he gets so much flak when he's pretty damn helpful and informative. It's probably something to do with the fact that he's kind of a weird dude. He seems normal when he's streaming, but his head-bobs during youtube videos are kinda funky. Whatever, haters gonna hate. The dude makes a living (right?) off streaming and he's fucking brilliant about every aspect of the game. My computer can't handle the game+stream at same time, so I had his stream on my iphone with one headphone in just listening to him and fuck if I didn't absorb all kinds of info just listening to him play the game. And hell, his theorycrafted builds are more reliable than most others' playtested builds.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's Kripps fans that putt me off him the most. When I watch his stuff it is usually very good and very detailed but his fans are rabid.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Anti-AH Stuff.
I get what you're saying. A lot of the fun from these games is derived from the loot, finding loot, equipping new upgrades, trading loot, etc. I'm not denying that at all. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater though. In my view the AH didn't do much to hurt Diablo 3, I think that the AH is a good idea in fact. There was an AH in WoW too and it didn't ruin that game at all. Of course in WoW there were other ways to get much better gear such as grouping and raiding so it's a bit different I suppose, although you can't buy the best gear in Diablo 3 through the AH either unless you get extremely lucky. Still the issue with Diablo 3 wasn't the auction house, is was poor build viability and thus diversity along with a retarded itemization system. PoE itemization is much better but it does suffer from the same issues, which is basically that higher numbers in general are the way to go, which is the cause of said MUD-flation. In my view the main difference between the two games is fun things to do, in Diablo 3 there's only one thing to do, level and/or farm, while in PoE you have to do that same thing but you have the addition of fun character builds and the need to remake characters due to the expense of using the same character for several different builds.

In a game like PoE an AH would add a lot, just as it would have added a lot to Diablo 2 and removed a lot of the hassle involved with that game. Let's say you want to make a completely new build, instead of having to find all of the gear for this new build yourself, why wouldn't you want to simply use the AH to trade away the items that you have for the items that you need for your new build? Do you really want to go through the frustrating and time intensive process or either farming a completely new gear set or trading in the game or on the forum?

It seems like you are playing a different game than I am. I've already had two characters doing maps, that's the end-game and that's with minimal trading. There wasn't some huge gear loophole that I had to jump through to start doing maps, I basically just had to level up to that point, that was it. It wasn't hard, I didn't have to farm for a month or even a week. Now if there were a better trading system in the game I wouldn't have to waste hours of my time in the future trying to trade away items that I don't want for items that I do want. All this current trading system is is a huge timesink and a deterrent for players.

The current PoE trading system is akin to what the keying and flagging bullshit was in Everquest. Ok I want to make a new character, let's waste hours and hours of time getting the new character prepared for content that I'm already doing and have been doing. Personally I would be much happier if I could more easily do some quick trading to get my new character prepared and up to the level of my current character.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guys life hardly looks glorious. As far as I can tell, he still lives with his parents, barely sleeps or showers, and wears the same 5-6 t shirts every day of his life. Having the leverage to game all day every day is probably awesome, but I seriously doubt that he's making a living.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Guys life hardly looks glorious. As far as I can tell, he still lives with his parents, barely sleeps or showers, and wears the same 5-6 t shirts every day of his life. Having the leverage to game all day every day is probably awesome, but I seriously doubt that he's making a living.
No, but based on your description it sounds like he is living the dream!

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
As far as making money from gaming goes, streaming is below youtubers ala Husky, TB or Yogscast. Youtubers can get hired to do some promos by the publishers/devs and they have bigger reach. People who follow the streamers are already hardcore audience, you don't need to advertise to them and they aren't likely to switch to another game. It's also literally hours put in = money you get, there's no way you are going to make something viral that will make you a ton of money.

African

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well put. I can say that back in high school and college it was enjoyable to play 5-8hrs at a time, but I don't even enjoy playing that much at a time any more. I can't imagine playing 8-10hrs a day 7 days a week. Doesn't seem like the "life" to me.