Path of Exile

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I wrote a bunch of shit and just deleted it because none of you are worth the time explaining why PoE is more enjoyable being complicated than simple.

And that's it. That's the whole thing.

I'm coming back to this because it is such a total load of horseshit that it has to be addressed.

Who here has said that they want the skill tree made less complicated?

Who here has said that they want the skill gem interactions to be made less complicated?

Who here has said that they want leveling and player/mob interactions to be made less complicated?

Who here has said that they want the bosses to be made less complicated?

No one. Not a single person has begged for the game to be less complicated. What we have begged for is the game to be less tedious and needlessly punishing in terms of wasted time. We want Harvest back so that we can have endgame gearing goals that don't revolve around "close your eyes and exalt slam.....fuck I missed the 4% chance to hit the mod and bricked dozens of hours of work that went into a single item" and that also enables build diversity and wacky skill gem choices. On a forum founded on autistic sperging over a MMORPG, very rarely has anyone decried putting in the time and effort to become better at a game like, say, Dark Souls because the needless tedium is entirely optional. In PoE, needless tedium is part of the gameplay mechanics to keep you logged in.

How are RNG master missions making the game better and more complicated?

How is dropping thousands of useless rares making the game better and more complicated?

How is tuning drop rates around a trade system that doesn't even have prime-time uptime on the API making the game better and more complicated?

It doesn't. Your argument simply doesn't hold any water. No one has asked for less complexity or difficulty in the game, merely that they give you an honest amount of progress for the time commitment they've put into the game based on their experience and skill level.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is it possible to league start with Forbidden Rite? I really want to play it with Necro/Corpse Pact/Kitava's Thirst, but that Life and ES cost seems insurmountable early.
I wouldn’t think so. This feels like something you need to be CI or do some shenanigans with high chaos res. But I mean you could always play any other chaos skill on occ and about face to that and do necro. I guess you could probably go CI version in BA. I’ve done that at league start a few times.

I wondered if it could be slapped on mines and do well.

I’ll find out another league or so. I’m too engrained in MMOs right now and need to be casual until about October. Hopefully work lightens up then.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm probably in the minority in that I'm actually looking forward to how much harder this game is, flask nerfs included. One thing I had hoped for though was hopefully they would address the amount of useless loot that drops, but sadly doesn't look like that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn’t think so. This feels like something you need to be CI or do some shenanigans with high chaos res. But I mean you could always play any other chaos skill on occ and about face to that and do necro. I guess you could probably go CI version in BA. I’ve done that at league start a few times.

I wondered if it could be slapped on mines and do well.

I’ll find out another league or so. I’m too engrained in MMOs right now and need to be casual until about October. Hopefully work lightens up then.
Mines have no HP or ES, so you'd be skipping that facet of the skill. Still, might be good idea for starting. Totems could work too, they'll clear packs before they kill themselves, just don't like how slow they are.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
20brnr0f9rb71.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Mines have no HP or ES, so you'd be skipping that facet of the skill. Still, might be good idea for starting. Totems could work too, they'll clear packs before they kill themselves, just don't like how slow they are.
Stack that cast speed!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This league should be entertaining to play just to see how ridiculous the balance issues will be. There is no way they get something this large right on first pass. I expect many patches. I just hope the servers will be goddamn stable enough on launch to allow me to enjoy everything else that will be fucked up

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So here is a little diversion from the upcoming league discussion.

I am leveling a char through mid maps this afternoon and running Syndicate while I map.

I hate the Tiny Trial (I just skip it every time) so I am trying to get rid of and/or delevel Guff as much as possible. I have Interrogated him every single time he has come up, and somehow on the last fight I had he was fucking lieutenant. I interrogated him as Sergeant no less than 4 times, how the fuck does he keep getting promoted?

This is outrageous.

Before you go on about it, no I have no real idea how to properly do Syndicate, I just max promote as many people as possible and keep them there as long as possible lol.

Xevy

Log Wizard
This is the first league I've thought of starting with multiple of the new skills. Out of the 19 or whatever, I'd say about 10+ actually seem good. Usually for me there's one "good" one and a bunch of garbage that is too complex to make work, but shit like slam totems is just too good not to try. I'm probably just going to go Conc Path totems and watch them sumbitches zoom around the map for me.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
I have always been a softcore league player but tried my hand at HC SSF the past few weeks to try and get some of the HC achievements. Built a frost auto scout necro even found a victario's charity, got to 79 and died to a trap in an uber lab trial (lol) I had that thing where character just doesn't want to stop where you put mouse, kept running around this corner all stupid where 2 saw blades were and in my frantic attempt to stop doing it ended up grabbing the ribbon on the windowed mode screen and died. Logging out never even occurred to me due to being a softcore player for so long

Rerolled and got to 76 about 3x faster with nearly identical gear to first go around. Died in a "defeat the waves of enemies" Ultimatum on like round 7 when something suddenly went ape shit and killed 9 skeletons, ~35 vaal skeletons, 3 spectres and 8 zombies nearly instantly and again I didn't even think to log out. Mainly sucks because I have a feeling trying to get the level 80, 90 and uber lab HC achievements after this patch is going to be significantly harder with all the changes. Especially for a shit player like myself.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
who's ready for the shit show tomorrow? I, for one, love reading delusional ramblings of a lunatic on Mondays. I bet cone dome Chris might be a bit confused why his grand vision was not met with standing ovations. After all, the community has campaigned for years for the game to be slowed down. Now saint Chris delivers, what he feels is pure ambrosia to the playerbase, and he's met with disgruntled plebs. Time to put pen to the paper and prove the uneducated masses wrong.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its gonna feel like shit, even the slight ascendency nerfs from not too long ago (ritual?) Felt bad on say, champion, an already lackluster dmg ascendency.

They say they are going to buff melee skills but thats just bullshit, you might get +3% dmg at lvl 20 double strike while all the supports will get butchered by 25%.

The most important part of poe is having a skill "feel good" and with damage nerfs its just going to feel bad for a lot more skills, funneling people to play meta skills even more so than normal just to play which goes against the entire point in "shaking up the meta."

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Was looking at playing this league, but after reading Chris's bullshit posts I don't think I'll bother. Ultimatum was poor for player retention and these changes seem like they will make the next league dead after 2 weeks. On a good note, that means whatever crazy overpowered builds are discovered utilizing the new skills will almost certainly not be nerfed for the duration of the league. Fully expecting this league to be a shitfest completely with so many changes.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Heard a suggestion for using mines with Storm Rain. Sounds very similar to using mines with Exsanguinate to bypass the 0.8s cast time. I really liked Exsanguinate and it was even better with mines. Only thing I couldn't solve was the life cost since it seems every spell mine build goes LL shavs in the endgame. Even with Machina Mitts, life cost was janky since you couldn't prelay mines.

I would highly recommend people that don't like mines give it another try. Swift Assembly instead of Minefield, and don't even bother with detonation sequences.

That said, it looks like almost no one does ranged attack builds with mines. Why is that? Makes me think this will ultimately turn out to be a stupid idea.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
The only time I've seen a ranged attack used is ice shot/barrage mines for delving. I didn't try it though.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Battle Royale makes me feel like a toddler. A slow toddler.

edit - fuck Whirling Blades, I'd rather die to any other skill than that annoying piece of shit

Last edited: