Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Super cringe that you are using the issues with a game released in the year 2000 to justify those same issues still present two full decades later. Sadly, the POE devs have iterated nothing on the D2 trade system... besides letting their community develop a trade site and then literally stealing the design. At least D2 allowed some targeted farming.

The most ironic part of the story is that Blizzard really did solve the trading system by including the gold AH in D3. They finally made a really good sink for gold outside of gambling and allowed people to bypass the cumbersome trade rooms. We will never get to appreciate it since their greed saw them add the real money side and then limit drops globally to force RMAH participation.

Blizzard solved it by making a system that was so bad for the game that they removed it? You seem to have an odd definition of 'solved'.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Blizzard solved it by making a system that was so bad for the game that they removed it? You seem to have an odd definition of 'solved'.
Come on, man, don't be purposely obtuse.

They solved it with the trade market for in-game gold, then fucked it when they added the real money portion where Blizzard got a slice. Greed killed it.

Edit - I don't know if you remember "Inferno Levels" but Blizzard designed the game so hard with such shit drops that you bought items or suffered for your sins grinding a retarded hard game. They literally made a game you bought with your money so hard you were funneled into a marketplace where you could spend more money to make it easier (and Blizzard got more money).

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Come on, man, don't be purposely obtuse.

They solved it with the trade market for in-game gold, then fucked it when they added the real money portion where Blizzard got a slice. Greed killed it.

Edit - I don't know if you remember "Inferno Levels" but Blizzard designed the game so hard with such shit drops that you bought items or suffered for your sins grinding a retarded hard game. They literally made a game you bought with your money so hard you were funneled into a marketplace where you could spend more money to make it easier (and Blizzard got more money.

The RMAH didnt cause them to remove the gold AH as well with Reaper of Souls. Blizzard ultimately came to the same conclusion PoE has in that an Auction House is bad for ARPG gameplay. Well maybe not the gameplay but the addictive cycle the loot chase puts on players.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The RMAH didnt cause them to remove the gold AH as well with Reaper of Souls

Yes it did. The backlash when players found out they cut loot drops to force participation was so fierce that they closed both of them. There were many of us on the forums begging them to keep the gold AH around but they had already decided the game was going lootsplosion with account bound items and built the expansion around it.

Blizzard ultimately came to the same conclusion PoE has in that an Auction House is bad for ARPG gameplay. Well maybe not the gameplay but the addictive cycle the loot chase puts on players.

I hope you didn't type that with a straight face since PoE has refined that addictive cycle, turned it to 11, and then ruthlessly denied players any decent option of breaking that cycle with deterministic outcomes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
In Byr's defense, D3 is ridiculously boring with the predetermined set drops every league/season/whatever and the class-selective loot determination.

In Ariakas and several others' defense, the complete lack of deterministic loot outside of, what, 5 bosses, a loot table so deep you have a better chance of winning the lottery than seeing a chase unique, an affix list that is so long it is ANOTHER lottery to get a rare drop with a full slate of decent stats, and the fact that 99.999% of drops are worthless garbage, have all contributed to the loot fatigue in the PoE community from casuals to whales.

Edit - the sheer fact that you NEED a loot filter in PoE, and newer ARPGs are following suit with the So Much Loot You Need To Filter It, shows how influential PoE has become, how it leads the ARPG design industry (in the West) and it is IMPORTANT that GGG moves in a better direction.

Anyway, not far in yet but my only comment so far is - mana management, yuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
helix seems decent. but has dead zones. not sure if slower proj or whatever will help.

blade trap seems ok, compared to the other level comparable traps. fire/lit/explosion.

havent gotten to concoction. or, had a chance to do math on scaling. this is just ease of use/enjoyment mostly.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Hahahah. All the streamers are currently finding out that the Expedition vendors don't ever reroll their inventory autonomously. You must use the new currency item to reroll their inventory. And each vendor has their own unique reroll currency.

GGG developers are the fucking worst. They always pick the most tedious, annoying implementation possible. I know it shouldn't be surprising at this point, but
fans GIF

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah this league mechanic is a pretty big meh. Feels like a glorified strongbox encounter.

I like it overall but I've seen the haggle guy ten times more than anyone else and have yet to find the currency to reset the guy that sells normal and as he doesn't have anything I want and hasn't for the last three hours it's kind of an issue. Through the story it feels just too easy. Ultimatum during the story was an ass kicker from the word go and this is definitely not. It should turn in to red hot death late game though.

edit - Absolution feeling pretty good as Necromancer, just swarming shit with piles and piles of minions.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes it did. The backlash when players found out they cut loot drops to force participation was so fierce that they closed both of them. There were many of us on the forums begging them to keep the gold AH around but they had already decided the game was going lootsplosion with account bound items and built the expansion around it.

I hope you didn't type that with a straight face since PoE has refined that addictive cycle, turned it to 11, and then ruthlessly denied players any decent option of breaking that cycle with deterministic outcomes.

Not one thing here disagrees with what I said. Some vocal players didnt like that Blizzard was removing the gold auction house too but they still came to an informed decision to remove it. The fact PoE refined that addictive cycle probably has something to do with that decision. You seemed to come to the conclusion I was saying the cycle was a bad thing somehow but that cycle is literally the founding behind ARPGs, David Brevik has talked about this in some of his interviews.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mechanic was hilarious white hot death in mud flats when it spawned 25 zombie rhoas that all charge you at once. Complete cake walk since then though, maybe the tougher mobs come later on in maps?

The haggle guy is cute but is literally just ritual 2.5, which isn't really bad, it's just amusing how similar the system is really.

Gambling is a complete scam so far for me. Unique rate is like less than 10%, and with the unique pool in poe being what it is that means you're like .05% to see a usable unique. The rares don't seem to use any kind of their smart roll system either and are all trashcan tier. Gambling worked in D2 because there was a lot of end-game uniques, and rares were rare enough in the general loot pool that getting them out of the gamble window was generally fairly interesting. Not so in poe unfortunately, where any outcome but a unique is guaranteed to be trash, and even then 99.9% of the uniques will also be trash.

The guy that sells identified rares is OP as fuck. The crafting stuff he can apply to them is nuuuuuuuts, like harvest on steroids but with that typical GGG sprinkle of RNG cause you never know what he'll give you next. If the macguffin currency is tradeable/exchangeable I expect his version to be worth far, far more than everything else.

I can't be arsed to actually look at all the names of the different macguffins and who they belong to to then try and trade them with the exchange guy. Seems way easier to ignore him entirely.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
...and I'm done with the league. I don't have time for this slow, methodical leveling shit. Even in the past I thought getting to the point where your build becomes alive was too slow, but this was just gonna be beyond retarded. I think I'll just have Lily stream in the background whilst I do something else

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
...and I'm done with the league. I don't have time for this slow, methodical leveling shit. Even in the past I thought getting to the point where your build becomes alive was too slow, but this was just gonna be beyond retarded. I think I'll just have Lily stream in the background whilst I do something else

I'm starting to think that "Ultimatum was too rewarding" actually meant that it was too rewarding during the campaign with all the defense/three resist gear and five links and shit it would spit out.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hahahah. All the streamers are currently finding out that the Expedition vendors don't ever reroll their inventory autonomously. You must use the new currency item to reroll their inventory. And each vendor has their own unique reroll currency.

GGG developers are the fucking worst. They always pick the most tedious, annoying implementation possible. I know it shouldn't be surprising at this point, but
fans GIF
oh fuck. I didn't really notice.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The upside to that is that you can always get something even if it's currently too expensive for you. The most annoying thing about expedition imo is the placing of the dynamite or whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Getting back into this game. Is there anyone in the guild that can invite me? IGN: CostcoHotDogComboPlz

Last edited: