Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
the stat passives are not cosmetic. they are serve as pathing.
Mind over matter is 7 passive points from witch start, via stat nodes.
or, is it 10 passive points, with cast speed, damage, and arcanists dominion? that pathing also moves you closer to practial application, and heart and soul.
or 7 to mom, +1 to arcanists dominion, and

MoM is 11 passive points from Scion.
Mom is 16 passive points from Duelist.

theres three key factors in there. 1. every passive is potential an option to every class. 2. the passive cost to each class varies based on starting location. 3. Pathing to one key node, reduces the passive cost of other nearby passive keystones.

the visible tree system is the best way to do this.
you COULD just have the passives open, and add variable costs based on class. like say, melee passives cost 5,10,15 points for a melee class, but cost 7,13,19 for hybrids, and 9,15,21 for casters. and then you COULD add synergies. where taking some caster passive, reduces other similar passives. but this system would be hidden and arbitrary. The Pathing tree adds very simple to understand visuals, and adds a whole minigame essentially in finding the most efficient path.
I didnt intend for you to take the cosmetic in that context, only that the "look" of the tree itself would change. The game has its player base and its financially successful, so its a moot point. But I was extremely intimidated by the tree the first time I saw it and just think it could be done better. I personally dont think the mini game you speak of is worth losing customers over.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The problem with the passive tree is that every league there are a handful of viable choices and a thousand ways to brick your character. PoE is one of the WORST offenders when it comes to false choices

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah when you play this a few leagues you come to realize that the tree only has a few viable options for any given class. They all look so similar top eachother. It gives you a false sense of all these options when youre a noob when you really dont have any.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I dunno. There’s a lot of viable builds. Once I learned the mechanics though it was just how you build your primary defense/sustain then your dmg. As Caliane said the rest is just pathing. It makes the tree shrink in your mind a lot and can at times get crazy cookie cutter if you stick to basic type builds. Bricking is almost always not understanding dmg scaling or picking like resolute technique for a crit build.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Unfortunately at the high end it's like every other game: you're going to want one of the "best" builds for ubers, sim 30, deep delve, etc. There's a FUCKTON of builds that will do normal bosses and clear juiced T16's just fine now. There's more diversity than PoENinja and people on Reddit will lead you to believe, but people are always going to gravitate to known shit and QoL like auto-targeting abilities and exploding skills.

But yeah, if you don't have a lot of savvy at this point, you're not making a build from scratch that's getting to T16 maps and clearing it without major pain. Unless you're a minion build, then it's really impressive to fuck that up.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a exanguinate/seismic trap PoB that might help me out to look at?

I'm starting to hit a rough patch in red maps, especially if sentinels are active. I'm sure I've got pathing jacked trying to balance defense/offense, but thinking damage needs to go up so I can kill faster / die less

Chris

Potato del Grande
Playing Triple Herald Blade Vortex. Got to Act 10 and enemies instantly evaporate, however I'm a glass cannon and have started repeat dying to some rares and uniques. I skimped on the life nodes and 1% leech from shocked enemies isn't cutting it for sustain.

So... looking for something else, probably something much more tanky.

What's the best way to find a viable build? Usually I just browse the PoE forums and pick something but it's kinda random how good the builds are.

Anyone playing anything particularily fun?

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone play/played this on PS5?

It’s probably a better experience on PC, but alas, that is not an option.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone have a exanguinate/seismic trap PoB that might help me out to look at?

I'm starting to hit a rough patch in red maps, especially if sentinels are active. I'm sure I've got pathing jacked trying to balance defense/offense, but thinking damage needs to go up so I can kill faster / die less
Warning, not an expert on POE here, but did this league as seismic traps. Leveled as poison, switched into crit when I had some currency, and switched back to poison because it felt squishy. Did Maven and Sirius on this yesterday and I'm omegabad at this game.

You can drop the one strength node below Coordination as you are connected without it. Honestly, the start area seems pretty inefficient to me. You could just path north out of the start to save 2 points, you could then drop Coordination and the 2 points below it. That gives you 5 points to spend elsewhere. The last 2 points of the life/ev wheel seems a little inefficient. Harrier I don't think is worth the point. I think you could go on the right side of the tree and forget going down thru Ballistics and Heart of Oak. On the right side there is that spell suppression wheel along with Heartseeker which is a big multiplier. Do you get anything from ES leech? I didn't think so on crit trap version, definitely could be wrong here. Trap mastery of 4 additional traps seem odd to me. For the life/es wheel up there, I'd consider dropping the last 2 points along with mastery. Expeditious Munitions is something else I would consider dropping, not sure you need that much trigger AoE. . You're getting close to where you can consider getting a cluster jewel setup. You could drop the last 4 points from that big trap wheel and get going on the cluster jewel setup.

Flask setup seems odd with 2 life and 2 quicksilver flasks. I think most of these crit builds are 1 life, 1 evasion, 1 armor, 1 diamond, and 1 quicksilver flask. If I'm loading in the POB correctly it shows you have 18% spell suppression chance? That shit needs to be capped. Going further down to take Magebane helps. There is also the spell suppression cluster just below that jewel slot on the right side. The spell suppression cluster has a good mastery that increases crit chance based on your spell suppression. Try to get some chaos res in there as well. You should have some sort of anointment on your amulet.

It looks like this is from a 3.16 build guide? The author should have a 3.17 guide you can check out.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What happened to uber lab?

Only found 1 trial in yellow maps and 1 from yellow Kirac mission, do you still need all 6 trials?

I've done a lot of maps and I'm up to T10 at the moment. A year or two ago I'd see them on white maps, but I only play once a year roughly.

Was there a chat channel for this? I forget.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
What happened to uber lab?

Only found 1 trial in yellow maps and 1 from yellow Kirac mission, do you still need all 6 trials?

I've done a lot of maps and I'm up to T10 at the moment. A year or two ago I'd see them on white maps, but I only play once a year roughly.

Was there a chat channel for this? I forget.

Currently you only need an offering, don't have to do any trial

For a while though you had to find 1 trial, and with that patch they also changed it to only start spawning in yellow maps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Currently you only need an offering, don't have to do any trial

For a while though you had to find 1 trial, and with that patch they also changed it to only start spawning in yellow maps.
Thanks, I suspected this but was too lazy to check. Looks like I'm going to Uber Lab.

I guess it's 1 try per offering?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
And there are apparently fancy offerings too that do additional shit, I found one and had to google it cause I had no idea.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
The last few weeks have been... an exercise in frustration for me.
Specifically, the price of a purity of fire sublime vision.

First it was around 8-12ex. Ok, working on it.
Then I get close and it goes to 18-20ex. Wtf? OK, still possible.
Then it goes to 30-40ex. Seriously?
Then a few days ago it went to 80-100ex. What the tap dancing Christ is going on?? Mathil isn't using it....
Now it's kind of going back down to 60+ex. But really? I mean Ashes is only 42ex ffs

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fire Reap Chieftan? I was willing to farm towards that too, as the cheaper, but still not cheap, Transcendence version but I gave up on it for a couple reasons. Transcendence, somehow, still feels squishy if you are relying on phys -> ele from flasks. Flasks fall off and goat man leaps on you, you dead.

Reap with awakened cascade sucks for clearing unless you have a buttload of AoE invested. Exsanguinate with Chain is much better. Until you run into even T16 map bosses that take longer than they should. Long enough to make you think that it wouldn't have taken this long if you were using reap. 3M Sirus dps was the best I could do my clearing skill. Maybe my standards are too high, but I feel like once you put 10+ ex into a build, map bosses should evaporate.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The last few weeks have been... an exercise in frustration for me.
Specifically, the price of a purity of fire sublime vision.

First it was around 8-12ex. Ok, working on it.
Then I get close and it goes to 18-20ex. Wtf? OK, still possible.
Then it goes to 30-40ex. Seriously?
Then a few days ago it went to 80-100ex. What the tap dancing Christ is going on?? Mathil isn't using it....
Now it's kind of going back down to 60+ex. But really? I mean Ashes is only 42ex ffs
Its the RMT market running the show. As a league progresses in game currency gets cheaper and more pelntiful for those that want to spend RL cash on it. The fucking whales. For instance 80 ex is like $20 now.

• 1RAGE
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users