Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
POB updated except for some shit like skill gems unfortunately. The crit minion node is a bit underwhelming, but with new minion mod items should be fine, especially with new spirit offering.

Melee used to be OP because Fortify. Then casters got Fortify easily so they nerfed Fortify. Then they nerfed it again. This basically led to the downfall of melee as a decent build because a lot more mechanics are instant get-out-or-die and ranged can just BE ranged and be fine. Melee have to dodge it. Melee can still do insane dps, but most of it is elemental conversion type shit so pure phys, ESPECIALLY IMPALE, are basically non-viable for late-late game.

If you want to still blast red maps and non-Ubers melee is still completely fine. Flicker is great for clear, but the fucking worst for bosses unless you hit some 30mdps threshold or something. I played Flicker during Incursion league because I thought it would be good for temple clearing and incursions. Fun fact, the Omnitect at the end of the temple has a PURE DEGEN in its DIRECT CENTER and will fucking own flicker strike characters that don't have good regen + leech. That was when I knew Melee was not the way for bossing. Slammers are still good, but you gotta do warcry setups and it's hard to actually consider them melee as you use most of them from a decent range.

Trickster CI melee will absolutely be viable though. A LOT of survivability built in for that setup.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Damn, I was hoping for a repeat of Absolution and Reaper starts to 3.15.

Damage was looking fine, assuming you could reliably automate the shocks. Which is a lot easier said than done, so maybe the damage buffs are for the "intended" way of 1-2 playstyle *barf*.

That said, you're still just playing a targeted AoE skill. There's a reason no one play hit-based Hexblast, and it's not because of the damage. The AoE is going to be nutty large on that skill or Impulsa will be required.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't agree that the problem is 'melee'. The good melee skills are still used frequently. Lightning Strike is still among the most used skills, Spectral Helix is ranged but it's scaling the same way and spends most of its time in melee anyway. The issue is that these skills shotgun and most melee skills don't. While Cleave got a damage buff to 260% effectiveness or whatever it was, it's competing with skills that have that effectiveness and hit 2-4 times. Most melee skills are literally half the damage as the skills that get used. Melee as a playstyle is fine, melee skills are just dogshit.

They need to re-design the gems. Half the melee skills have no flavor anymore. If we look at what's probably the 3rd (ok, 4th, but Molten Strike just doesn't get used because the top 2 are better) best melee skill, Boneshatter, it has the cleave type effectiveness then special mechanics with the gem that scales a lot of the difference between it and the top skills. Sweep doesn't only need 280% effectiveness, it needs to do something like 100% more damage to knockbacked enemies as a starting point. Cleave should be a dual wield skill that hits for the full damage of both weapons.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Damn, I was hoping for a repeat of Absolution and Reaper starts to 3.15.

Damage was looking fine, assuming you could reliably automate the shocks. Which is a lot easier said than done, so maybe the damage buffs are for the "intended" way of 1-2 playstyle *barf*.

That said, you're still just playing a targeted AoE skill. There's a reason no one play hit-based Hexblast, and it's not because of the damage. The AoE is going to be nutty large on that skill or Impulsa will be required.

I'm telling you, stormbrand in thunderfists! Easy like ~2m damage storm brand to clear maps with, and can just spam conduit on anything that doesn't immediately die with 2x brands constantly shocking it.

Then use an annihilating light and laugh at your PoB numbers.

Only real question is can you get enough shock effect as an inquis? Or do you have to go elementalist and be super squishy.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Have you played brands since they made it return to its cast/recall location after detaching? Are you gem swapping chain for bosses?

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Granted i only finished act 5 but wanted to try to level with lightning skills again because it's been alot of arma brand lately.

Gotta say the lightning masteries are crazy, and you can get them so fast...Makes for a comfy run so far with oos and SB mines and hopefully conduit will only be better

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am seeing a lot of people suggesting automating shocks with Storm Secret. Won't that require Storm's Gift as well? And something else to get HoT going initially?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Have you played brands since they made it return to its cast/recall location after detaching? Are you gem swapping chain for bosses?

I doubt I'd even use brand recall anymore. Just play it like arma brand and cast new brands everywhere as needed.

Only thing I'm not really sure on is actual shock effect on inquis. I really don't wanna go elementalist cause they suck, but I'm afraid inquis isn't gonna be hitting max shocks vs shaper etc even with it being a crit setup.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I doubt I'd even use brand recall anymore. Just play it like arma brand and cast new brands everywhere as needed.

Only thing I'm not really sure on is actual shock effect on inquis. I really don't wanna go elementalist cause they suck, but I'm afraid inquis isn't gonna be hitting max shocks vs shaper etc even with it being a crit setup.
Arma brand has a large default AOE and most people pair it with ignite prolif to make that even larger. See Mathil's video this league or last for the serious deficiencies to a hit based arma brand. Storm brand might be even worse. Instant, but less coverage.

Necro, steal elementalist node for minimum shocks.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Doubly bummed about this release to be honest. With the removal of Frostferno, my build is dead: Ele Hit totems. Even ballista is missing Demise (although there is a new quiver to replace it so that might be ok).

On top of that, I'm going to miss the release weekend as Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison, and Joan Jett are playing in San Antonia the 21st and I've got tickets so gonna be out all weekend :/

I guess I "get" to wait to see what is OP before starting.. or just play something like ED or maybe something simple like arc mines/traps.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't worry, IcyHot is likely one of the to-be-revealed uniques.

Still starting Toxic Rain Miner Trickster. Feels weird to be this set on a starter for at least a week now.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you have a PoB on that one DW? You've mentioned it before, would be curious to look at it

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Alpha nerds are reporting that all non-hit forms of shock have a 4s cooldown for re-application now - skitterbots, necro corpses, prolifs from shocking yourself with maligaros, etc.

Looks like they are really forcing you to apply shocks manually and play conduit similar to BF+BB.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do you have a PoB on that one DW? You've mentioned it before, would be curious to look at it
Yeah, I'll post it tonight. It needs a bit fine tuning.

ronne ronne haven't seen anyone talking about making new corpses. Either way, this skill is going to lead to a lot of disappointed starts. Fucking amateur hour over on reddit.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't see why new corpses wouldn't work, but again that's just BF+BB or DD etc.

I'm totally fine with having a shock skill plus conduit for big single target, but everyone trying to automate the shocks is really in for a rough time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't see why new corpses wouldn't work, but again that's just BF+BB or DD etc.

I'm totally fine with having a shock skill plus conduit for big single target, but everyone trying to automate the shocks is really in for a rough time.
Fuck that, I'd never advocate 1-2 skills unless there was an overwhelming advantage. Automated corpse generation only. Normally, that would mean bow CoC, but that doesn't work here. Corpsewalker might be enough depending on area, but I'm betting Kitava's Thirst will be needed as well.

I kinda feel like PoE has moved past the "clear skill, single target skill" setup. Some builds can gem swap still, but devoting at least 10 skill gems to just dps is really hard. Socket pressure has been building continuously over the last few leagues. As has passive point pressure. Getting your 4L clear skill to reliably clear is going to require at least some passives.

Hopefully will know more once the gems are in PoB. But I anticipate a lot of variations of this build(my variation included) will fall victim to spreading itself too thin.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Can you layer a couple different automated shocks and then have each apply with a four second cooldown to reapplication? You're dropping shocking ground while also having skitterbots while Storm's Gift is leaving shocked corpses?