2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

Game is fine yall.

1.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I logged in for the first time in several leagues and aside from drops and current league problems the game is a fucking slog now.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I almost want to play. It’s not a good thing I’m playing an mmo but spending my time reading this fucking thread daily.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everyone still complaining but did they even try running stuff after the patch? I had some pretty nice results, obviously a small sample size so far though.

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
The fact I haven't gotten a single leveling unique in 2 80+ characters is bullshit, I had to level my miner using the topaz + scepter recipe like some league launch scrub lol
Lifesprig would have been just dandy.

Really shows how fucked everything was.

The drop chances on uniques must be astronomical and yet I see Kobe managed to get 5 mageblood cards and is selling Uber carries within 3 days.

Shit really makes you go 🤔.
I normally bypass the delirium mirror in the Acts but due to lack of leveling uniques I started hitting every one and RNG was kind and rained a bunch of uniques on me.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Everyone still complaining but did they even try running stuff after the patch? I had some pretty nice results, obviously a small sample size so far though.

I did, it's definately better, but the lake is still dog shit. Their first change made the chests better but still not where they should be. And league content in the lake is WORSE than anywhere else in the game, because it's like running league content in a white map with no atlas nodes.

A good example: A ran an expedition node on difficulty 7, and got 1 burial medallion and about 20 of the expedition greater currency.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I logged in for the first time in several leagues and aside from drops and current league problems the game is a fucking slog now.

Spend a lot of time in the campaign snared/slowed/debilitated and/or hitting something with more health than a story boss. The pacing is dreadful. I immediately rerolled at T1 white maps so going through it twice back to back the pacing of it is just awful now.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did, it's definately better, but the lake is still dog shit. Their first change made the chests better but still not where they should be. And league content in the lake is WORSE than anywhere else in the game, because it's like running league content in a white map with no atlas nodes.

A good example: A ran an expedition node on difficulty 7, and got 1 burial medallion and about 20 of the expedition greater currency.
This sounds about right, I like the lake in concept but in reality it's not at all worth it. If i could stick exiles on every tile I would as they always seem to explode in stuff, but everything else is just meh.

Also, RF + the beyond mob tile is enough to make any PC cry I think.

Breach, suprisingly, is the only thing I like doing on the islands that I loathe doing in maps, primarily because its always massive swarms with no walls or shit in the way.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Also legion in the lake is a huge oversight. The tiles are so small, the legion you get on top of being completely unrewarding is extremely small.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

They havent buffed the lake league stuff yet, that comes tonight with harvest cost reductions. I like Neversinks thoughts on the league, I actually think they're pretty close to having the game in a really good spot, they just need some tweaks on AN and improving rewards in certain areas (I'd love if all league content in a lake benefited from max atlas passives, regardless if you have them spec'd or not).

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I also agree with Neversink. They're trying to do the right idea, but the implementation is off or not broadcast correctly. There's also significant changes that are probably following what they're doing that most people don't have the foresight to understand. Basically what they wanted was the "less loot, but better loot" idea, but they implemented the first half and not the second half... yet.

If you're unfamiliar with how it works, "smart loot" is much more complicated than regular loot currently. EVERYONE wants smart loot. The problem is smart loot has to be pre-calculated before dropping which is why you see it in instances like specialized chests, ritual, and Grand Heist rewards. Those items were there before any IIQ or IIR calculations took place and they were generated when the zone was. Other loot is just a billion RNG rolls hitting once a mob dies and the IIR and IIQ checks hit.

What's the solution to allow more smart loot? Less items overall. Well, as you can see, they can't do that without the outrage. EVEN IF they had told people they were doing this, probably even if they mentioned the smart loot changes to follow, the pre-league launch would've been a shitshow and launch numbers would have been appalling because of sheep mentality. So what was to be the "item squash" to prepare for bigger and smarter loot changes in the future has basically been fucked. Reddit is probably shooting itself in the foot because this almost certainly means that they're going to keep throwing MORE items instead of BETTER items out to keep the smoothbrains happy. Reddit is PoE's greatest Hero and Villain.

Another thing that's interesting is GGG launches stuff sometimes in an underwhelming state. This may sound like a bad idea, and Mathil had a great take that if you're playing day 1 and your friend couldn't and he asks "should I play?" and you say "Yeah, but probably in a week." That person probably isn't coming back in a week. This is pretty much true, but there's a side to this that I think most MOBA/Battle Royale players know about that the ARPG community doesn't, or at least PoE's.

EVERY OTHER GAME RELEASES NEW CONTENT OVER TUNED TO HELL AND AS A PRE-SET META, THEN HAS TO NERF IT TO HELL. They give you immense power then almost IMMEDIATELY have to take it away. Apex Legends, Overwatch, and Siege Six are all great examples. New character/gun comes out and it's THE character/gun. All others are almost obsolete outside of niche gameplay. Then eventually they see 90% of the players use the same thing, they have to nerf it. That feels really bad. They're taking power away from you after you've had a taste. GGG does this, but in 3 month intervals so you can adjust. Very rarely do they do mega nerfs during a league and it's usually gamebreaking stuff like ultimate stone farming in Ultimatum league (Empyrian's group got banned for this) and in general do to either Chris's philosophy (he's said it's much easier to give things than take them) or due to their ineptitude style of content release, they do THE OPPOSITE where these sweeping hotfixes and patches come in and the player gets more and more power from when they started. Of course everyone wants it to be perfect from the start and the Lake loot especially was dogshit, but I think everyone would agree you'd want them to make leagues feeling better and better during the league than worse and worse.

TL;DR
-These loot reductions (item squash) were most likely for smart loot implementation later (3.20) that may never happen now thanks to Reddit and Influencers
-PoE is the only game that doesn't introduce OP shit then nerf it during league (Apex, Overwatch, Warzone) but instead gives incremental power buffs DURING league. You can argue stuff gets changed between release and patch notes, but very rarely ever during league launch and some of it is probably just (Hello, Conduit changes!)