Path of Exile

Chris

Potato del Grande
Welp, my old starter go-to used to be Ancestral totems, and of late it has been EA totems...and looks like that remains constant. Once I sold a mirror last league I was able to buy my way to a high-end build but I still burned out relatively quick and didn't even have the incentive to finish all the pinnacle bosses.

All that being said, with the shit on a cracker that was D4 I am looking forward to at least a couple of weeks in a new PoE league.
I've been playing EA totems, it's a bit janky imo but I can't deny it's getting the job done.

Can't remember where I saw the tip but PoE Ninja's Hardcore Self Found leaderboard is all solid league starter builds and that's where I found it.

I'm going into yellow maps and honestly no idea what I'm doing with the atlas, I need to get some currency but I'm getting less Chaos Orbs than usual...

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
The language on the ascendancy is very specific and there's already a jewel in game(fireborn I think?) that does this same behavior. It will not work anything that doesn't say "increased/reduced damage".

Cluster jewel notables have no distance, thus don't count in any jewel's radius. Good for a couple specific minion jewels. Bad for this one.
You might be right, but when I search on 'increases and reductions', things like Healthy Mind come up which is pretty straight forward. I don't see any that say damage types like this node does. I would think it would apply to things like bleeding, but hey.

If it doesn't work on all that, holy crap that node is underwhelming. It works on a few of the axe and mace wheel notables, the 1h notable near Marauder, one of the notables near iron will (meaning it's not worth it to path there), 1 or 2 near the templar slot, basically nothing at the duelist slot, and lol at pathing to other parts of the tree. And even then it's like 1 line out of those notables that it has any effect on!

I gotta agree with the vids I've seen from various people on Chieftain: they've made it pretty much worse AND less interesting in all respects. And it wasn't great before.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Chieftain went from a 0.2% picked class to worse now. Until, that is, people figure out some shenanigans with the conversion stuff down the line. The thing they stealth buffed about that jewel node is +3str per allocated node within range which can be huge in the Scion area and decent in a few others. Makes the 10% strength it used to have (and now Ascendant only has ???) not as big a deal for strength stackers.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with the changes outside of assuming that a lot of builds get big damage from gear/links moreso anymore than ascendancy. This actually may be true because you have some builds like RF which give 0 shits about damage (Juggs) and still do great while purely stacking defense. Same can be said for some of the newer ascendancy changes to stuff like Sab/Trickster which got a lot of defense/utility and some of the raw damage removed.

Honestly they should've tuned up a lot of the new Chieftain shit. The 5% chance at 500% explode is nice, but no one will take that outside of super clearerers who have AE stacked and maybe levelers. Tawhoa's is still big shit unless they lowered the cooldown or let supports work on the ability. A 0.5 cooldown for strikes and 1.0 cooldown for slams would've been nice. The Ancestral call thing basically equates to 10% more damage and a free link which could net you somewhere between 10-30% more total damage together, but the Fist of War thing is fairly nich as slammers are very en vogue right now and it doesn't work on slam totems at all iirc.

Pretty much a downgrade except for flesh/flames stealing the max rez shit or maybe explode for cheap. The jewel thing might be worth it as a 5th node with flame/flesh except the irony of having to use two jewel slots to do it. That said I'm still planning on starting Chieftain and it'll probably be mediocre as hell until I get gear then it'll be tanky but lack the oomph of a well balanced or powerful ascendancy like Trickster/Jugg/Inq types.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Chief is gonna live or die on whether Tawhoa was improved or not. The caster variant is 100% bait.

If Tawhoa has a better cooldown for strikes I'll probably go molten strike chief and fail to have enough dps to beat pinnacles

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You might be right, but when I search on 'increases and reductions', things like Healthy Mind come up which is pretty straight forward. I don't see any that say damage types like this node does. I would think it would apply to things like bleeding, but hey.

If it doesn't work on all that, holy crap that node is underwhelming. It works on a few of the axe and mace wheel notables, the 1h notable near Marauder, one of the notables near iron will (meaning it's not worth it to path there), 1 or 2 near the templar slot, basically nothing at the duelist slot, and lol at pathing to other parts of the tree. And even then it's like 1 line out of those notables that it has any effect on!

I gotta agree with the vids I've seen from various people on Chieftain: they've made it pretty much worse AND less interesting in all respects. And it wasn't great before.
As I said, there's already a jewel in game(it is Fireborn, looked it up) that has this same exact behavior. There is no doubts how it will behave. It's "decent" in the with jewel socket and that's it. And even then, a fire cluster jewel is more efficient.

I'd really like for singular poison/ignite with Alchemist's Mark to work, but I can't get anything in starterish in PoB to be worthwhile. Perhaps it's cluster jewels only.

I'm looking to start Splitting Steel Champion. Return projectiles is nuts for that skill.

Also considering poisonous concoction pathefinder into hexblast mines. I want to try pathfinder defensive package of complete phys taken as, petrified blood, and bloodnotch. Didn't play around with it last league and a bit surprised it didn't get nerfed.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
As I said, there's already a jewel in game(it is Fireborn, looked it up) that has this same exact behavior. There is no doubts how it will behave. It's "decent" in the with jewel socket and that's it. And even then, a fire cluster jewel is more efficient.

I'd really like for singular poison/ignite with Alchemist's Mark to work, but I can't get anything in starterish in PoB to be worthwhile. Perhaps it's cluster jewels only.

I'm looking to start Splitting Steel Champion. Return projectiles is nuts for that skill.

Also considering poisonous concoction pathefinder into hexblast mines. I want to try pathfinder defensive package of complete phys taken as, petrified blood, and bloodnotch. Didn't play around with it last league and a bit surprised it didn't get nerfed.
Huh, Fireborn isn't in POB. Sure it's drop disabled, but only as of 3.20... odd.

So Chieftain is relegated to 'which node will people steal most'. What a joke.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Gems are up. 61% less damage on return support. Splitting steel probably 'only' do 20-25m dps now instead of 60m but should be a very easy leaguestart.

Dunno if I'd do something like lightning arrow tho

Yeah, you can get ~10m on dirt cheap gear(10s of chaos per slot, max) while still being a tanky champion.

Comments on some other supports, in order:

Does more and less stack on a singular gem? Assuming more/less doesn't stack, one stack of invigorating blaze does 1.14 * 0.97 = 10% more damage. Fully stacked it goes DOWN to 4.64 * 0.22 = 2% more damage. 10 stack: 2.4 * 0.7 = 68% more damage. Yeah, just what I want on a dot build, attack speed inflection points.

Corrupting Cry seems good if you can use that as your base single target and then add more stacks that use Corrupting Cry's dps.

Locus Mines seem abusable for some build I can't figure out atm.

Numbers on Sadism are much higher than I expected. Still not sure if that means you can league start Alchemist's Mark. That is a ton of duration off your dots.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Kinda liking the look of spellblade. Could take the old inquis vulconus battlemage setup to double dip on huge flat base damage for something like firestorm or EK

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone done boneshatter? Thoughts on the skill? I know its really only the only 'true' melee skill eft in the top meta.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Boneshatter is ok. The ramp time on trauma stacks is similar to poison, which I hate. And I couldn't figure out that stun pulse. It would very inconsistently chain through packs.

Goonsquad Officer
I'm pretty novice. How is it looking for summon raging spirits or skeletal mage builds with the changes?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
SRS runs through the campaign no matter what you do with it. I've never liked it for actually mapping but it's a lot of fucking damage for fuck all investment.

edit - I'm a big dumb but I think minion Guardian stuff is going to be totally out of control

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
Grassyass.

yea i'm by no means a try hard or skilled player, but i played ruthless in crucible because a friend asked me. it was pretty fun ,and i was SRS...partially because ruthless you can't be picky heh. i got to tier....shit i dunno, toward the top, but only a few maven kills. i got busy with RL, but i thought i may check it out again. not sure if i'm going to ruthless or regular league this go.

Xevy

Log Wizard
New Guardian relic is absolutely omega busted. Guardian Absolution/Skelly Mages will fuck butts non stop on a budget.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Im kinda getting the itch to play this league, even though im 40 hours into BG3 and just starting act 2.

Really dont know what to start as. Maybe ill just rip off one of ya'lls builds.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The more I sit here and look at chieftan the worse it gets.

A single +1 curse from an item/tree puts pinnacle bosses at -16% fire res with 0 curse scaling. So with any kind of curse effectiveness, exposure, combustion, scorch, etc, setting enemy fire rest to 0 is actually just straight up fucking you. And you have to stand still for the privilege of doing so.

So flamewood looks cool, but how do I play it on chieftan? I take my res nodes and the totem node, and uhh, 2 small passives? I can't use 0 fire res cause it's not a dot (also that node is bad), it's not strikes or slams, and I'm totems so I have ancestral bond and the explode node no longer functions. Real nice fuckin FIRE TOTEM ASCENDANCY WE GOT HERE GUYS

Maybe we'll get lucky and Tawhoa is giga buffed and actually does something. If Tawhoa still can't benefit from fist of war though despite being immediately followed by free fist of war support I'm gonna die laughing.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
My short list of shit to try has Returning Projectiles Support on Skele Mages.
Guildmate had the same thought. Should be really good, but again it's something like 39% more damage so MIGHT be some QoL gems that are ~20% more damage that are more worth. Maybe. Still think it'll be tits on bosses for sure. That with the new Fresh Meat is insane for skelly mages.