Path of Exile

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
League pretty much impossible for me at start so far, so that sucks. I mean the league gimmick of course. I kinda have an idea whats going on, but opponents have so much crap to throw at me, last one was a bunch of frog things, ice comets randomly raining down on me ect. Usually you can do something with this stuff at low levels to at least decide if you like it, or ignore/leave until you mapping. This one might be an ignore I dunno yet.

Never played an actual melee in POE before, I keep seeing boneshatter jugg mentioned, so figured I'd give that a try, and see how it does for mapping + as SSF.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks guys. Having fun, but pretty much skipping the league mechanic. Just didn't seem worth it compared to other leagues.. especially for leveling. That was unfortunate.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Well, apparently I don't even know how bonkers. It's mega bonkers now but was giga bonkers this morning. I'm getting divines round 3 and stacks of almost 20 chaos and sets of 5 tattoos at once and I get a stack of 2 mirrior shard cards (275c each), BUT my guildmate who was playing this morning before the alleged stealth nerf was getting 3-5 divine stacks in his matches. He said he got 15 divines in something like 5 tournaments. I think they did a generic buff to currency drops and forgot to take it off the high end currency which means some fuck out there probably hit 7 mirrors in a match.

The only problem with this is that the league mechanic is still unfun :(

Xevy

Log Wizard
League mechanic is in a MAJOR state of flux and if they don't adjust the high end right now (500+ rating out of 2000 rating) it's probably DOA outside of gimmick builds with omega defenses. Unfortunately they're making changes daily so whether or not it's shit or REALLY rewarding can change in like 8 hour intervals.

You're definitely better off selling silver coins immediately if you're short on money or piling them up hoping for some changes if you're not. Currently unless you're sub 300 rating it's a big risk to do because of a lot of the bullshit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The league mechanic screams "specialized build". Curse bots trivialize it completely but those same builds can't actually farm anything else unless they group.

Even if you hate it, it's still 100000000x better than the crucible bullshit because you can buy the tattoos for way less than the "high end" crucible weapons AND the tattoos are mostly far more attainable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have about 1,500 silver coins atm because I'm just braindead farming up currency doing T1 barrows with harby's printing fracturing orbs.

It's fun but yeah. Maybe I should just start selling them.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Enjoying this league mechanic depends like sanctum a lot on your build. Totems, SRS and fast minions, everything spell with big AE/range makes it really enjoyable. You'll hate it with passion with things like flicker strike or RF basically everything true melee. Damage counters a lot early on. They put some effort into the strategy part and it shows. Warning: it gets infuriating on higher levels, they made some really evil team combos and NPC skills rating 400+ .

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I fully expect purposefully tanking rating to be the meta. Play up to where you're getting rolled, back it up a hundred points and for every win after blow two coins losing on purpose.

edit - the other option would be to divide up rating by tiers and allow people to queue up for whichever one they want. Rank 250 is silver, 500 is gold, 1000 is plat and 2000 is diamond, that kind of thing. Once you hit each rating you can choose on each new run to participate in any league you've previously unlocked.

I like the league mechanic overall but a full autobattler might have been too ambitious. The combat works but we're missing basically functionality like a res timer, concede button and a bunch of other shit. If you want to reassign your entire team there's no one button that benches everyone. The number of units you have access to isn't plainly displayed in the roster. You can't equip or de-equip an item on someone once they're deployed. I don't think you can even change a unit's position on the bench. Sorting options by cost, clan, preferred role would be handy. I'm not entirely sure what units are ranged or melee and would like icons for that. Your first run should have an optional tutorial.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
Once you hit 700 rating, it's one-shot town for about 50% of the units. Only chance is like omega resists with phys as fire and even then once you hit 850+ it won't matter.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I have about 1,500 silver coins atm because I'm just braindead farming up currency doing T1 barrows with harby's printing fracturing orbs.

It's fun but yeah. Maybe I should just start selling them.

Could you explain low tier map farming a little? It's an aspect of PoE that I'm aware exists but don't know anything about.

Caliane

I fully expect purposefully tanking rating to be the meta. Play up to where you're getting rolled, back it up a hundred points and for every win after blow two coins losing on purpose.

edit - the other option would be to divide up rating by tiers and allow people to queue up for whichever one they want. Rank 250 is silver, 500 is gold, 1000 is plat and 2000 is diamond, that kind of thing. Once you hit each rating you can choose on each new run to participate in any league you've previously unlocked.

I like the league mechanic overall but a full autobattler might have been too ambitious. The combat works but we're missing basically functionality like a res timer, concede button and a bunch of other shit. If you want to reassign your entire team there's no one button that benches everyone. The number of units you have access to isn't plainly displayed in the roster. You can't equip or de-equip an item on someone once they're deployed. I don't think you can even change a unit's position on the bench. Sorting options by cost, clan, preferred role would be handy. I'm not entirely sure what units are ranged or melee and would like icons for that. Your first run should have an optional tutorial.
theres bitching on reddit about having to waste time losing on purpose to keep rating in a range you can actually beat. like TRYING to win a tourney you can't is a giant waste of time. so, its faster to go into ones you can't win, and lose quickly, to drop the rating. but even that is a giant pita and waste of time.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The infinite upward difficulty scaling is so strange to me. Image if delve only let you go down lol, that's basically where we are here.

The entire player base will eventually get to a point they can no longer interact with trials at all. Yea you can derank but it's -2 ranks for a tournament loss for me right now at rank ~280, and I still get +12 or more on a win, so what am I gonna do, throw 6 tournaments for every one I try and win? Fuck off.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The infinite upward difficulty scaling is so strange to me. Image if delve only let you go down lol, that's basically where we are here.

The entire player base will eventually get to a point they can no longer interact with trials at all. Yea you can derank but it's -2 ranks for a tournament loss for me right now at rank ~280, and I still get +12 or more on a win, so what am I gonna do, throw 6 tournaments for every one I try and win? Fuck off.

If you lose in the final round the rating change is very small up or very small down but if you lose first round twice it should be like neg 12. We're going to end up burning two coins per run every run on an intentional loss. Because Path of Exile is Path of Exile spending a great deal of time and energy clawing your way through a Trial that's out of your league is just not going to make sense. Great, you spent 45 minutes carefully making every decision while playing at your absolute best to not quite pull it off. While you were doing that Speedy McGee blasted through five of them or more.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

That's exactly what I was thinking - this feels like an only downward Delve in terms of difficulty curve.

There is a reason GGG made a great ARPG but have not made a game in any other genre..........

When starting a league, do you typically go through yellow maps before you branch out of a 4-link? Because I just finally got a decent 5L chest and I am just starting red maps. I guess the 5L recipe is on a T13 map so I suppose that may not be so out of range.

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's exactly what I was thinking - this feels like an only downward Delve in terms of difficulty curve.

There is a reason GGG made a great ARPG but have not made a game in any other genre..........

When starting a league, do you typically go through yellow maps before you branch out of a 4-link? Because I just finally got a decent 5L chest and I am just starting red maps. I guess the 5L recipe is on a T13 map so I suppose that may not be so out of range.
I got a 5 link at like lv40 or something this time around, is it not worth having a slot with gimped stats to get a 5 link main skill?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I really didn't mess with tourny much, it's brutal for a new player. Even a couple times vs "easy" guys I'd lose, even though I'm killing all their dudes. Respawn for the AI seems really fast, while my dudes are slow and die easy.

Really just seems like some weird variation of a card battler game, where you have limited direct influence on a 3D board.

Ignoring the league, having fun with the newbie jugg, I'll see how far i can take it SSF, and that will be it. I'm still getting far more ARPG fun out of this old assed game, than I did with D$.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
1693092211179.png

Shit's fucked.