Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Hell, even playing the game on a lower difficulty, my playthrough still passed the 100 hour mark. 200 hours for turn-based might be optimistic on even bitch-baby mode. Play on anything difficult enough to result in the occasional failing and reloading, and you might be looking at double that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the nice thing about the turn-based mod is that you could turn it on and off at will. turn-based combat makes you automatically think more tactically and it trivializes a good chunk of combat. but then there are encounters where you specifically want to set up combo's or whatever and it's perfect for turn-based.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you already have the game will it upgrade?

• 2Like

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
From the topic on the steam forums it seems like the game will be patched with the gamepad support and official turn based mode. I hope their implementation is at least as good as the mod.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Just picked this game up. I'm scared of how many hours I'm probably going to play it. I made a longbow ranger for my first main character but I'm customizing all my companions so it should be fun!

• 2Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Patch for the definitive edition just went live. 20gb update unless you already had the beta version installed, then it's less than 1gb.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how well this play on a PS4 control wise. I really prefer playing everything on console these days. I have it on PC already though, never finished it.

I didn't like the Keep management stuff and stopped, tried continuing and got my save game corrupt so that was it for me.

I really these game way more with Turn Based Combat, so I'm going to give it another go, but thinking of getting it on PS4, just a bit concerned about the controls.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Keep management can be modded if you stick with the PC version (assuming the mod gets an update, anyway). Console will just have the option to set it to automatic, which was complete shit from what I recall. As for the controls, the PC version now has gamepad support so you could load it up and give it a try there.

I haven't played the game since it was still brand new, and never finished it either. Mainly due to Owlcat's really bizarre design decisions that didn't even remotely resemble PnP unless you played on just about the easiest difficulty setting. And stuff like putting the Inquisitor class into the game without bothering to implement inquisitions. I'm tempted to give it another shot with the DE, especially since turn-based is now built into the game and rtwp was another thing I hated about the game at release, but I'm not sure if any/all of the other stuff that made me think the game was a hot mess will still be there to annoy me.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Keep management can be modded if you stick with the PC version (assuming the mod gets an update, anyway). Console will just have the option to set it to automatic, which was complete shit from what I recall. As for the controls, the PC version now has gamepad support so you could load it up and give it a try there.

I haven't played the game since it was still brand new, and never finished it either. Mainly due to Owlcat's really bizarre design decisions that didn't even remotely resemble PnP unless you played on just about the easiest difficulty setting. And stuff like putting the Inquisitor class into the game without bothering to implement inquisitions. I'm tempted to give it another shot with the DE, especially since turn-based is now built into the game and rtwp was another thing I hated about the game at release, but I'm not sure if any/all of the other stuff that made me think the game was a hot mess will still be there to annoy me.

I never finished it either. Essentially, I never finished the final act because while the keep/kingdom stuff seemed cool on the surface, you slowly start realizing how fucking tedious it all is. I wish I would have modded it.

Still, I think it was a fantastic "first try" on their part and I still put over 120+ hours into the game. It's honestly the closest a developer has come to scratching that "gold box"/BG1-2/IW1-2/NWN itch. Divinity:OS just never did it for me and while OS2 was better in that regard, Larian just doesn't quite capture that feeling of old, isometric RPGs. They do a great job with the combat portion, but their writing is terrible. And while I will always love Obsidian for NWN2 and Fallout:NV, their Pillars of Eternity games didn't do it for me the same reason Larian falls short: the "story" is something that just never, ever captured me.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
overall it was a good implementation of DnD and a solid callback to the old baldur's gate days. great that they had pause-and-play system. but yeah, making keep building and upkeep a major part of the game just makes it too tedious and boring. the dungeon parts are solid, and could have done without the whole kingdom part.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So turn based is baked in now? Maybe I'll give it another shot. I finished it I think twice, and had decent progress on another couple playthroughs, but it was all at once. Trying to go back to these type of games is pretty hard for me

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
overall it was a good implementation of DnD and a solid callback to the old baldur's gate days. great that they had pause-and-play system. but yeah, making keep building and upkeep a major part of the game just makes it too tedious and boring. the dungeon parts are solid, and could have done without the whole kingdom part.
The kingdom stuff is taken from the Pathfinder module the game is based on.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Turned based ftw. Have to say as aformer fan of real time pause , I love the introD turn based. Recent reply of pillars2 turn based makes the game 100x better and more memorable

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I never finished it either. Essentially, I never finished the final act because while the keep/kingdom stuff seemed cool on the surface, you slowly start realizing how fucking tedious it all is. I wish I would have modded it.

Still, I think it was a fantastic "first try" on their part and I still put over 120+ hours into the game. It's honestly the closest a developer has come to scratching that "gold box"/BG1-2/IW1-2/NWN itch. Divinity:OS just never did it for me and while OS2 was better in that regard, Larian just doesn't quite capture that feeling of old, isometric RPGs. They do a great job with the combat portion, but their writing is terrible. And while I will always love Obsidian for NWN2 and Fallout:NV, their Pillars of Eternity games didn't do it for me the same reason Larian falls short: the "story" is something that just never, ever captured me.

NWN2/MotB is my favourite RPG. The stories/writing and characters captivated me completely, and nothing so far has surpassed that feeling for me in an RPG.

I've barely "started" Kingmaker, but now that the final Definitive Edition patch has dropped, might be just the time to dive in fully (I'm a patient man heh). Since it's such a personal thing, obviously can't know if you loved NWN2 for the same reasons I did, but I'm really hoping Kingmaker can bring back even a little of that "feeling" again.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finally decided to play it on PC. After watching a few streams of PS4. The controls actually look great, but the interface not so much. One of the thing that annoyed me is that they divided the character sheet and inventory into 2 different screens.

Anyways, I'm loving the Turn Based, this is how these games are meant to be played. :)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Anyone touched the console version? Obviously PC is the clear way to go with these things but I can’t use mine for a couple more months. I tried Pillars of Eternity 2 on PS4 and boy I got burned bad. That shit sucks in a million different ways, but still was a great game at its core. I only managed to get about 35-40 hours in (nothing in games like these) and struggled most of the way but a couple save corruption and technical issues made me say fuck it completely. So far it seems like this port is much more competent but I don’t trust too many reviews these days, wondering if anyone has any PS4 Pro experience to relay.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
NWN2/MotB is my favourite RPG. The stories/writing and characters captivated me completely, and nothing so far has surpassed that feeling for me in an RPG.

I've barely "started" Kingmaker, but now that the final Definitive Edition patch has dropped, might be just the time to dive in fully (I'm a patient man heh). Since it's such a personal thing, obviously can't know if you loved NWN2 for the same reasons I did, but I'm really hoping Kingmaker can bring back even a little of that "feeling" again.

Kingmaker is the first game to evoke those "feelings" of CRPGs of the past (NWN, NWN2, BG1-2, IWD 1-2, etc.). It's a bit of a "chasing the dragon" situation where you'll never get quite as high as you did the first time, but it was, without a doubt, the first game since NWN2 to recapture some of those "feelings" again. I had hopes that Pillars of Eternity would do that for me, but it just never really grabbed me like Kingmaker did. I think I lasted 3-4 hours with Pillars, whereas I made it 50+ with Kingmaker. However, I never finished the last act due to the whole Kingdom maintenance stuff. I really wish I had modded that part of the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Kingmaker is the first game to evoke those "feelings" of CRPGs of the past (NWN, NWN2, BG1-2, IWD 1-2, etc.). It's a bit of a "chasing the dragon" situation where you'll never get quite as high as you did the first time, but it was, without a doubt, the first game since NWN2 to recapture some of those "feelings" again. I had hopes that Pillars of Eternity would do that for me, but it just never really grabbed me like Kingmaker did. I think I lasted 3-4 hours with Pillars, whereas I made it 50+ with Kingmaker. However, I never finished the last act due to the whole Kingdom maintenance stuff. I really wish I had modded that part of the game.

Thanks for that. I notice there's an "Auto" mode for Kingdom management in the difficulty menu, but I'm not sure exactly how that affects the gameplay/story outcomes etc. Going to do some more research and check out some of the mods as well, just to make sure I'm fully satisfied before pulling the trigger. Really looking forward to diving in, and thanks again!

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Kingmaker's characters and overall story were objectively better than Pillars of Eternity. I really loved Kingmaker. The first time I opened it I was all, awww yeah. I was not disappointed. My only big gripe was the cool story element that was only open to you if you were super evil. But it was really interesting and there's should have been more ways to reach that same accomplishment.

My favorite CRPG in years. Gameplay is a lot weaker than Divinity Original Sin 2. But that game's story is shit even if the individual encounters are all quite good and very reminiscent of tabletop. I am hoping turn based makes it into the sequel coming out.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users