Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll probably still be deciding on what build to go with for the main character by then.

...and then there's all the companions which are fairly poor right out of the gate and their auto-level plans are even worse so you need to come up with builds for all of them too.

The biggest problem I have with it is figuring out what is actually in the game and what was cut from the PnP rules. I don't see any way to view a complete spell or feat list in game, especially for things like planning out teamwork feats for a SH Inquisitor. There's a barebones wiki on Gamepedia (ugh), that's it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Temple of Elemental Evil, The

It's six dollars, it's a faithful recreation of the Temple of Elemental Evil module using the 3.5 edition rules set, and it's a lot of fun. There's even a small modding community. When this came out I played it an absurd amount of time.

It's also 100% turn based.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
If you're having trouble with the game and aren't too familiar with the Pathfinder/3.5 D&D system, consider an arcane caster that focuses on battlefield control/debuffing.

Damage spells did not scale well from 2nd Edition to 3rd: A fireball still maxes out at 10d6, but everyone has more hit points, and you roll for hit points every level from 1-20 (in 2nd ed fighter types just got 3 hp/level after level 9, instead of rolling 1-10 + con bonus).

Spells such as grease, sleep, color spray, ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, web, hideous laughter, blindness/deafness, sleet storm, stinking cloud, halt undead, confusion, and black tentacles will change a fight in your favor, as incapacitating or hindering a few opponents for just a round or 2 is enough to prevent getting zerged, and reduces a lot of damage you will take in the normal course of a fight.

Melee/ranged do the damage, casters control the battlefield.

Source: Tabletop gaming with a rules lawyers and min maxers for 20 years. If a min maxer/rules lawyer picks an Arcane caster, they probably figured something new out and some shit is about to go down.

Agreed with the caveat that summoning creatures is the ultimate form of battlefield control in Pathfinder. It hampers movement, soaks damage, deals damage, and sets up tactics for the rest of the party. Much more useful and reliable than spells which can be shrugged off or completely avoided like the ones you listed.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I torrented the game to check it out. Solid gameplay. It's the new Baldur's Gate, basically.

I finished the first two areas. The only thing that bothers me is the character builds of the story characters. I wish there was a way to edit them from level 1 to be what I want or the option to create my own custom characters.

Once a big patch is in to fix the game breaking bugs, this is a 100% purchase.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Also, what's up with Oleg not selling carts, mules, etc? If the game is going to enforce encumbrance and shit they need to implement the tools inside Pathfinder that allow characters to function under those rules.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't found encumberance to really be an issue, just don't pick up every shitty 2g armor and you'll be fine.

You can hire custom characters that you can build yourself, it can be expensive though.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
There are for four romance options: Straight female, straight male, gay male, gay female.

All I want for Christmas is a Half-Orc that sexually identifies as a trebuchet. After sweet sweet loving, my baby launches me through a castle wall.

#DiversityisOurStrength

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I got this during the weekend, enjoyed it a lot until I got my keep. The gameplay changes somewhat at this point, and too much focus on keep management for my taste.

I stopped Pillars of Eternity 2 when the ship stuff started happening, and I knew this had keep management so that's on me.

I just wish these games were more focused like Divinity: Original Sin...just a simple RPG with a main story and side quests, none of that other gameplay stuff like managing a ship, keep, or kingdom stuff.

Other than that which is a personal thing, solid gameplay and entertaining.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Okay I'm confused. I gave my cleric the Light Armor proficiency feat and yet when he puts on light armor is completely unable to cast spells. What am I missing?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Okay I'm confused. I gave my cleric the Light Armor proficiency feat and yet when he puts on light armor is completely unable to cast spells. What am I missing?

Clerics should have light armor proficiency already. And medium and possibly heavy by default.

I wonder if taking the feat screwed up the game? (Shouldn't have let you taken the feat because you already should have had it).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
depends on the cleric. if you're a straight cleric, then yes, light and medium are default. if you pick the ecclisathurge (or however it's spelled) i don't think it has any armor

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah its the Ecclesiathurge premade companion Tristian. He starts out unable to wear any armor and so I figured investing a perk into giving him that ability was a good idea...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or is the Org Magus pretty lame and useless... dude dies a lot and I play him very conservatively. Y'all using that faggot elf, I am just going to continue to use my grimdark woe is me Dwarf.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Is it just me or is the Org Magus pretty lame and useless... dude dies a lot and I play him very conservatively. Y'all using that faggot elf, I am just going to continue to use my grimdark woe is me Dwarf.

Magus in pen and paper is about lots of prep for an attack that if hits does a ton of dmg, one of the few caster classes that has decent base attack bonus and can keen(increases crit range) her own weapon so you cast keen/shocking grasp round 1 with weapon you specialize in so you get like 15-20 crit range then hope you roll well because if you miss you wasted two turns.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm about 30-35 hours into this game after a restart to get a full party of customs. As much as I'm enjoying the parts that work this should have been early release/beta launch as the bugs never quit appearing with each new chapter and the little shit like abysmal run speed/load screens etc are wearing me down.

I also stopped bothering with kingdom management and set it to auto due to the bugs and potential for game ending shit. That upped the fun slightly so I could focus on adventuring, but when you do have to go back the slog from the throne room to get to the world map is obnoxious. I'm on a high end PC and the game is on an SSD and it still takes 10-15 seconds per load screen. I've likely spent 1-2 hours just in loading screens.

Yeah its the Ecclesiathurge premade companion Tristian. He starts out unable to wear any armor and so I figured investing a perk into giving him that ability was a good idea...

He can't wear armor at all because of the class.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I haven't found encumberance to really be an issue, just don't pick up every shitty 2g armor and you'll be fine.

That is not how we play rpgs here pal.

mule-train-in-the-grand-canyon-picture-id695690110

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users