Pathfinder: Kingmaker

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I constructed a viable party from the characters recruitable in game. I have the MC (Monk), the barbarian chick, the bard chick (dual classed to sorceror), the chaotic good elf girl that is a rogue/mage, the gay elf cleric dude and the female fighter.

Its the gayest party ever because its all females with a tranny elf, but I'm in the Stag Lord's Keep with 15 days left on my timer so I think I'm gonna clear that hurdle with an all recruitable party. It hasn't been easy, and the challenge at one point was a bit frustrating and I thought I was probably going to fail the timer, but at this point think I'm in the clear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can someone tell me why I ran into a fucking Demi-Lich at a random campsite near the old sycamore at level 3?

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
You are a bad person and touched yourself as a child?

Its just one of those random encounters that can completely fuck you over. Welcome to unapologetic adaptation.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I finished the Sycamore stuff and I am just about level 4. Finishing up some quests and going back for the Bear Treant.

This game is designed around a ton of backtracking. But not in inventive ways like BGII... not that I've seen yet anyway. I am thinking I will dual class Linzi to Sorcerer because her songs and hideous laughter just aren't cutting it right now.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Are you all playing it on a very hard difficulty or something?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I finished the Sycamore stuff and I am just about level 4. Finishing up some quests and going back for the Bear Treant.

This game is designed around a ton of backtracking. But not in inventive ways like BGII... not that I've seen yet anyway. I am thinking I will dual class Linzi to Sorcerer because her songs and hideous laughter just aren't cutting it right now.

Linzi is by far the weakest link in my party. The only niche she is filling is that of 'rogue' in terms of trap disarming.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Totally. She needs more disabling spells since I don't have another caster yet and some of these fights are just brutal. Lots of reloading going on. Still have Linzi, Harrim, Amiri, Scythe Girl and my Armored Hulk Barbarian.

I like Linzi the character a lot so I just need to make her more useful.

Also do you know where Karess fucked off to after he gave you the Taruccio quest in Sycamore? I don't want to run all the way back to the starting castle if I don't absolutely have to. The Quest Journal and he didn't say where he went that I can find.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm doing this as well, I just wish I could target the ground rather than a person as my fighters get caught in the AE.

I like little details like characters having a favorite meal that gives them extra bonuses when that was the previous day's dinner

I think you can hold ctrl to target ground, you can also get sculp bombs so it auto excludes friendly squares, also option to not snap to targets.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
For anyone who's put a decent amount of time in this, does it seem like it will have replay value and/or be a long game? I am probably going to end up buying it this weekend but I really hate spending a bunch of money on games that don't offer a lot of playtime. I'll probably end up playing it on the hardest difficulty if that matters.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For anyone who's put a decent amount of time in this, does it seem like it will have replay value and/or be a long game? I am probably going to end up buying it this weekend but I really hate spending a bunch of money on games that don't offer a lot of playtime. I'll probably end up playing it on the hardest difficulty if that matters.

I don't know how long the campaign is but I am about 15 hours into it and I haven't even got to the city building aspect. I don't know what all you have played but this is the best foundation for a game (in the pause/non turn based style) since Baldur's GateI. In my opinion. I did like Pillars of Eternity but it had a lot of weird shit in it that put me off a little bit in terms of gameplay. This is much more traditional in that respect. Hardest difficulty is wildly unfair and will require a very small set of class options to survive the early game. Due to the companion choices you have for the first several hours. This could be changed with some more patches though.

If you don't feel like spending mula and haven't played Baldur's Gate II a bazillion times. I might be tempted to do another playthrough of that now that I think about it!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I didn't find the game hard until I encountered an enemy which noone in my party could damage.

Balanced party, formation and sequencing actions makes the regular story encounters pretty easy.

Randomly encountering things you have no chance against is a pretty silly way to create difficulty. I reloaded several times to ensure there was absolutely nada I could do.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
maybe it's me but outside of basically valerie and (to a lesser extent) amiri, so far all the story companions are just... terrible. i REALLY wish there was a simpler, quicker, and cheaper way to make a custom party.

edit: also good LORD does spell damage suck. i'm only lvl 3 but there's seriously no reason to cast any kind of damaging spell. my barb, fighter and cleric (my pc) just mop up things in melee too quickly. cantrips are worthless.1-3 damage? are you kidding me? just keep the crossbow on them and they do at LEAST twice as much damage. leveled damage spells also seem pretty worthless as it takes an extremely limited resource to do less damage on average than a regular ranged attack. i REALLY don't get it.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wizards and sorcs are for buffs, debuffs, and summons nowadays. (That said, why is there no L1 Grease spell? And the lack of Charm Person makes me wonder if there's any charm/confusion spells at all...?)

I started as a wizard since I read there was no companion that could be a 100% arcane caster, but I just can't do it. Ended up deciding to restart as a sacred huntsmaster (Inquisitor). Anyone have a suggestion for race and point buy? Leaning towards using a bow since I already plan to have Amiri and Valerie as melees (plus my leopard). Useless bard, the elf cleric, and the rog/wiz probably rounding out the rest. I'm pretty rusty on 3.5e rules and I don't know much about Pathfinder changes at all, so I don't really have any idea what I need for stats so I don't get screwed on feat pre-reqs.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing on challenging and I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. I'm up to level 6. I think there is a lot of content because you are supposed to be able to get to level 20. I can definitely see replay value in trying different characters, custom companions, different alignments to see how differently the game plays. I'm pretty addicted right now and the game is eating all my free time, which hasn't happened witha game in a long time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I rerolled a magus to check them out and the class is based around channeling spells through your sword and they only have 3 spells that can do that. WTF? By the way check your characters because I've had shit not showing up on my sheet and have no idea if it works in game like improved crit.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
edit: also good LORD does spell damage suck.

Welcome to Pathfinder! Spell damage has never been good. Fireball/Fire Snake are good for quickly mopping up large groups of weak enemies but the role of casters is pretty much to buff the party pre-encounter and then cast CC/summons during combat.

I don't know how Kingmaker works but casting buffs during combat usually isn't a good idea because taking a round to give an ally +1 to hit isn't great when you can just cast all your buffs for free before combat.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I hate how I know fuckall about this ruleset but from what I've read so far it feels like this game needs some kind of character planner like you would use for DDO. People keep talking about how Linzi should switch between classes to pickup a few traits from rogue, then go back to caster and whatnot but I don't know at which points feats get unlocked.