Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I wouldn’t wish a mass market paperback on my worst enemy and eating near books is sacrilegious. Wtf is wrong with you heathens?
I assume youre objecting to the foolishly large size sometimes associated with trade paperbacks?

Every book should be a 4x6 paperback, other formats are impractical and gay. But the absolute worst, hands down, is the hard cover with that fucking ridiculous dust jacket.

Rude

Potato del Grande
His wife might.
I'm sure if you bend over with her the boyfriend will plow your ass too. And good on you throwing your money into the garbage, you're sure showing up somebody!

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn’t wish a mass market paperback on my worst enemy and eating near books is sacrilegious. Wtf is wrong with you heathens?

Why? Books are like any other form of entertainment. If you find a gem, then spend whatever you like but if the book is garbage, why waste money and support a low talent hack? Mass market paperbacks are a small way to support the industry while trying to find those gems worth spending more on.

While I truly enjoyed the first book, I can't in good conscious support the author. I definitely wouldn't waste the efforts of the people of Grim Oak and other small presses on a book I had never read or wasn't on my favorite book lists. Unless you just like buying their books to support Grim Oak.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you bought those for like LoTR or something that seems reasonable.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I stepped in the grocery store to pick up some quick things for tonight and missed the $750 or $1500 version.

Keep in mind a few things if you’re picking something like this up to flip:

- When you purchase one you'll be assigned that number / letter for future release.
- So if/when Wise Man's Fear comes out you would have first right of refusal to order the matching number/letter.
- If you sell your copy you can sell with rights / without rights to the future release(s).
- If you want to sell with rights you then have to worry about coordination with Grim Oak to get those transferred (really just 1 email, no big deal).
- With rights could be worth more than without as it would allow someone else to continue buying them.
- It may be worth more to hold and sell them all as a matched set, or you could retain rights and just sell them 1 at a time.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I assume youre objecting to the foolishly large size sometimes associated with trade paperbacks?

Every book should be a 4x6 paperback, other formats are impractical and gay. But the absolute worst, hands down, is the hard cover with that fucking ridiculous dust jacket.

I cover all my dust jackets with Demco Superfold:

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Why? Books are like any other form of entertainment. If you find a gem, then spend whatever you like but if the book is garbage, why waste money and support a low talent hack? Mass market paperbacks are a small way to support the industry while trying to find those gems worth spending more on.

While I truly enjoyed the first book, I can't in good conscious support the author. I definitely wouldn't waste the efforts of the people of Grim Oak and other small presses on a book I had never read or wasn't on my favorite book lists. Unless you just like buying their books to support Grim Oak.

For me, reading mass market paperbacks is like reading the old school tiny magic the gathering instruction booklets where you go blind by the time you finish. If all of this was an issue about money i’d just torrent the audio books for free or go to a library and check one out. Like any form of entertainment, part of the experience and joy comes from the avenue presented. As weird as it might be to some, I just can’t go back to mass produced books after experiencing high quality inks and paper as it just elevates the reading experience. Another bonus is they last for practically forever, don’t fade/yellow, and tend to hold their value so I can always at least get my money back down the line.

Good points though. There seems to be a universal agreement on the author and after being burned by Jordan and Martin I’m tired of traveling down the incomplete section. Adding shitty followup books to the mix and the author seemingly being a douche is certainly a factor to consider.

If you bought those for like LoTR or something that seems reasonable.

From everything I’ve heard the Tolkien estate is second only to Robert Jordans estate with unreasonable demands and ridiculous royalties. Folio Society put out a small press of LoTR last year and it was priced at $1,500+ with reused artwork and to save money they tried to cut as many corners as humanly possible. The result was that while they did produce a beautiful edition, the vast majority of them had significant noticeable issues and I think Folio ended up at a loss despite selling out.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
It’s insane. The set up is there to make book three amazing if you had any imagination what so ever. I don’t think you could easily end the series, but the bare bones are there for an ending. Rothfuss should give it over- Sanderson could make book three in his spare time

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Here, let me give you your hack ending.

A bunch of characters in the story were actually members of the Seven (Bredon, the dude that teachers Kvothe how to play tak 100%). The king he killed was Ambrose. Everything we see at the Waystone Inn is a clever ruse to lure in one of Seven which he did which is Chronicler. When the reveal happens it is going to be "ha, I know you are powerless" and a "ha HA I've known how to open that box you sealed my power in since before you even used it because of how awesome I am." Bast ejaculates with shock awe.

The story ends with Kvothe setting off to go fuck up more Chandrians. With one of them mega perma dead for real they'll be coming for him but that's fine he's got another plan.
This right here Better than anything Rothfuss could think up

• 1Solidarity