Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Second one was like a bad fanfic. First one I thought was fantastic though. This series will never get finished, so really no reason to go any deeper than that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Second one was like a bad fanfic. First one I thought was fantastic though. This series will never get finished, so really no reason to go any deeper than that.
I was halfway into the first one before life got in the way. I thought it was incredible and engaging writing, but I heard a lot of Rothfuss hate and heard he really dropped the ball in WMF though.

WTF is he doing? Only a third book and he can't finish it?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was halfway into the first one before life got in the way. I thought it was incredible and engaging writing, but I heard a lot of Rothfuss hate and heard he really dropped the ball in WMF though.

WTF is he doing? Only a third book and he can't finish it?
He took his book money and has used it to just do nothing book related for over a decade. He co-wrote some Rick and Morty dungeons and dragons stuff, podcasts, other random crap. At one point recently his publisher or editor or someone tweeted she hadn’t read a single word of the third book and didn’t think he had actually written any of it at all. So it’s not that he hasn’t finished it, he hasn’t even started it.

TLDR: Nothing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Didn't he throw a hissy fit over someone taking a picture of his laptop screen while he was in the bathroom while writing in a Starbucks?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not to mention his charity took donations and was supposed to do a reading of the first chapter over a year ago. After the donations, he has still never read the chapter. Because it doesn’t exist

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
He took his book money and has used it to just do nothing book related for over a decade. He co-wrote some Rick and Morty dungeons and dragons stuff, podcasts, other random crap. At one point recently his publisher or editor or someone tweeted she hadn’t read a single word of the third book and didn’t think he had actually written any of it at all. So it’s not that he hasn’t finished it, he hasn’t even started it.

TLDR: Nothing
Ah, sorry to hear that, what a faggot. Seems like the Robert Jordan curse got him.

If it were me, I wouldn't just sit on my ass once I passed a certain income threshold. I'd keep writing because I love writing. I've got the bare skeleton for a fantasy novel and had it for nearly a decade now. I should get around to writing it because I've got some cool ideas on how to shake up the genre a bit.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Even without all the external drama surrounding Rothfuss, WMF was such a monumental drop off in quality it put any interest in a 3rd book at the bottom of my list.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, book one was a great read. Book two was not very good, and with over a decade passing and all the changes our culture has made since then plus the negative interactions with Rothfuss and his fans I believe any further books would just be steaming piles of trash.

Lenthan

Trakanon Raider
This plus A Song of Ice and Fire has made me wait buying book series until at least 3 books are released. Great start with nothing behind it.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
I reread book one prior to book two. I will say the charm wore off on a second reading and even further after I finished reading book two. Basically, Rothfuss is very good at two things: detailing out a setting (worldbuilding) and building anticipation. Everything else he's mediocre to shitty at. Book one had a great introduction and built tons of anticipation for the story and the development of the character. Book two then shat all over that and said yea basically here's all this dumb shit and SSSEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXX. I have very little hope for three ever coming out much less being good.

Honestly, I think Rothfuss worked super hard developing his lifelong rpg character idea into book one and had thought so much about it and the world it all worked. Then book two he panicked, discovered he's really not that great a story teller and popped out every cliche he could get away with. Finally he got depressed and realized he was a hack trying to write anything satisfying for book three so here we are.
I think Palum nailed it a few years ago

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Remember reading a comment awhile back that I thought was funny, something along the lines of “GRRM stated that if he died, he would not want someone or finish the story. Patrick Rothfuss would be just the right man for the job.”

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This series is done, even if he released the next book tomorrow I wouldn’t bother reading it. It’s amazing how much grift he has parlayed out of one good book and one shitty fanfic-esque pile of garbage

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just leaving this here. Fuck even knows WTF this is going to be.

It is a short story from the perspective of Kvolth's farie buddy from the inn. Reading the hate he got on Twitter for putting out this instead of the 3rd book was better than his books.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It is a short story from the perspective of Kvolth's farie buddy from the inn. Reading the hate he got on Twitter for putting out this instead of the 3rd book was better than his books.
Link? I don’t have Twitter so can’t search it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Reduced to writing fanfiction in your own setting. Pathetic.

• 3Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Is that his Twitter or some fan publicist? Funny to see replies to that bringing up the apparent charity scam.

• 1Picard