Pen & Paper/Traditional RPGs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm down, Sadly for me Im on the east coast so I could only get down online. I dont have much experience with this type of shit but I love board games/traditional RPG's etc.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had a ton of fun being a DM about....11 or 12 years ago with a group of friends. Great campaign and very involved story. But, I'll be damned if I have the time or energy for that anymore. Hell, I can't even finish most computer games these days for lack of time and end up just playing Dota2 in short bursts.

My younger brother and his friends do the online DnD thing since they all live in different states now, but that connection and social aspect is definitely lost, which is a shame because that's the best part.

Ebris_sl

shitlord
So I'm going to be running an adventure (possibly a longer campaign, but we'll see how it goes first). I'm planning on doing 3.5e however I don't have all of the source books for that, mainly just the SRD in text files, and I was considering moving over to Pathfinder. From what I understand Pathfinder is basically 3.75e with some add stuff. I'll be playing with a few friends who a very casual RPGers (and possibly some first timers), and one or two more hardcore players, so I'm wondering if a transition to Pathfinder would be worth it, or if I should just stick with 3.5e.

No, I will not be doing 4.0. I hate it.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Pathfinder improves a few "bugs" with the 3.x system, but doesn't solve any of the serious inherent flaws. The classes also got a nice revamp, some more than others, though the balance hasn't improved much (Casters can still game the shit out of the system and walk all over Melee still, just like 3.x) and it gives a nice setting from what a lot of people say. I also have to give Piazo a lot of credit for standing behind Pathfinder and supporting the hell out of it with quality products and effort on their part. Finally, almost all their mechanics are free online.

But again, nothing real is fixed, but it sounds like you don't mind the problems so you'll probably like it just fine.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'd be willing to DM a D&D game. would be 3.0/3.5 and Pathfinder allowed. If enough people who interest then we could work something out. -shrugs-

Xalara

Golden Squire
I got to play D&D Next at PAX for a five hour session. It was absolutely a blast and I like the direction they're going. It really helped my group had an amazing DM. It also didn't hurt that the cleric went full southern baptist preacher and kept trying to convert everyone, including the monsters. I was a gnome rogue who ended up getting punted like a football by an orc into a fire
frown.png

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
D&D Next has been a bit of a mess.

If you don't constantly follow it, they are on like the 5th playtest packet. It hasn't been "A fundamentally sound game with 4 revisions" though, it has been 5 different attempts to toss stuff at the wall to see what sticks. At least 3 of these packets have been crap, you would literally have to bribe me to play the game they we showing. The other two versions look like they had some promise and may be worth checking out, but still very little that really looks innovative of that I'd consider "well designed".

They are convinced going back to 3.x or before designs, no matter how proven bad they were, have to be seriously considered and all 4e concepts, no matter how well designed, should be avoided if at all possible. This has proven a bit hilarious as each version has inevitably had more and more 4e seep into D&D Next as they run into horrific design flaws that are from old 3e (and earlier) versions that were addressed with 4e. Which in and of itself is a bit terrifying, the idea that Wizards through such a big project into the hands of designers who seem to have disregarded a whole edition and a half of lessons and are only slowly coming around thinking "fuck, there was a reason for this shit!".

Oh well. Wizards basicly told thier D&D customers to fuck themselves a few times now and done everything to turn me away from D&D Next so far, so fuck 'em.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying and A Song of Fire and Ice are both better games anyways.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I might force myself to play some Pathfinder to help get the group going depending on what day the game is.

We've been talking a lot about it at our gaming groups (several members play in another group) so I mostly know how to play being a 3.x vet.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have played Descent 2nd edition 3 times now. It has the Dnd kick the door down feel with way better balance. I am enjoying the hell out of it.

badlok

N00b
couple pics of ours gaming room , we improved it a lot since then with a cpu an a cannon and some decoys

rrr_img_10985.jpg

rrr_img_10986.jpg

rrr_img_10987.jpg

we use to play AD and D 3 edition ,Conan but now it's Star Wars the D20 game

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
That is some pretty spiffy digs, Badlok.

The game I have found most exciting lately is Dungeon World. Looks absolutley brilliant. Many are calling it the "D&D But Good" game. It is a very fast and smooth system that leaves a lot of naritive opportunities for cooperative world building between players and GMs. It gets away from a lot of traditional ideas we've been using for years but does so in what looks to be a very successful type of way. Really amazing looking if you want to have fun and tell cool stoies and have players do cool stuff at the table.

If you are an ultra-controling GM, you like to have lots of books and mechanics to tell you how to play, or like to leave a lot of game control to the dice, it may not be for you.

That being said, been playing lots of WFRP3 lately and man do I love that game. A PC may soon die from a bad case of crotch crabs, which I can't decide is more hilarious or silly.

Also, A Song of Fire and Ice RPG from Green Ronin is real good, as I know there are lots of Game of Thrones fans here. Most IP-based RPGs are pretty mediocre at best, but they seem to have designed a solid basic generic system and then adding the Westros flavor on to it. It has a nice roll & keep system like L5R but in my opinion a good improvment over it. Runs very smoothly and has a pretty strong house-building/running system built in and good looking mass combat (our first big battle is next session).

badlok

N00b
I'll take a look for Dungeon World for sure , we usually buy a lots of books , not for the controlling part but just because we don't have the same ammount of time we had when we were younger.

We used to be 2 GM so we both can play from time to time but now the one who use to replace me just had a kid so i'm all alone. I try to let the players decide almost every things and then adjust to them , it's easier for me and funnier for them. I love reading rules book so i will probably buy Dongeon World even if we don't play it.

We play Star Wars now because it's different then the old medieval fantasy world.Their so much possibilities so it's nice to try something different from time to time.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone get something rolling yet? I am also interested but I have a lack of experience in pen & paper. Been playing RPG's for nearly 20 years, though.