Pen & Paper/Traditional RPGs

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Been DMing a 4th edition campaign for the last 2 months, 4 hours a week. We are doing our sessions over Skype using Maptool. What sucks is how incredibly long the combat seems to take. It has been 15 years since I played before, but the 4th edition keeping track of all the different marks and debuffs just seems to add alot of stuff you have to keep track of for even really basic melee combat.
After several years of 4e one of my groups just reverted back to Pathfinder. I agree that combat is a shitload faster, but it seems to have a lot to do with not being able to do much compared to 4e.

Low level 4e characters have multiple abilities some or all that can put effects on people, which is complicated, but interesting. Most importantly they can do this almost every fight. In Pathfinder (or other earlier editions) you need 5+ levels of a spellcasting class to have this kind of stuff, other than "I swing my sword. Power Attack: Yes/No?". I think that is part of the thing in 4e, the idea of "basic melee combat" is gone. All combat has a higher level of complexity and requires a bit more thought.

I find though that 4e favors a more dedicated type of player, and with a group of them the game moves pretty quick and is a lot of fun and you get the best out of it. If you have a group of part-time players who need to be reminded what "Slow" effect does every week, even though they apply it 3-4 times a fight, or has to look over every one of their abilities before deciding what to do each round, then yes, it is going to suck. Pathfinder has been a bit more fun for us as a group (even if I'm a bit miserable), as several people at the table aren't interested in putting a lot of effort into the game. I think 4e, to be really fun, needs a higher level of commitment to the mechanical side that previous editions, which, fairly enough, isn't for everyone.

I can only describe my experience in Pathfinder as "frustrating" at best, though I've been enjoying the story better than what we were doing with 4e, I don't find the rules fun. Though they aren't entirely without merit, all the options for races and classes are pretty nice, fairly flexible for a class based system.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any recommendations on good, simple skill based role playing systems? I love White Wolf, but not in the mood to run a Vampire or Werewolf campaign right now and I want to do something for my husband. I really dislike D&D style systems, way too rulesy for me. I tried GURPS a few times but get so bogged down in the rules. I really like just how simple White Wolf is so looking for something similar. I'd really love to do a Shadowrun campaign but I don't know the setting well enough to DM so waiting for my husband to DM one.
If you like the idea of a d&d setting but with simpler rules and less prep work for the dm Dungeon World is a new RPGs you may want to check out. I haven't played myself, but reviews have been positive and the concepts are pretty novel.http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15793.phtml.

Btw, I've run several SR campaigns (from 1st ed to 25th anv ed). I think they have a fantastic system, but I wouldn't consider any of the iterations I have played notably more simple than modern d&d- especially as a GM.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone look at D&D Next? I can "point you to" a couple of the PDFs of the current revision of the next version of D&D if someone wants to see it. It's really,REALLYearly though.

Xannder_sl

shitlord
Any recommendations on good, simple skill based role playing systems? I love White Wolf, but not in the mood to run a Vampire or Werewolf campaign right now and I want to do something for my husband. I really dislike D&D style systems, way too rulesy for me. I tried GURPS a few times but get so bogged down in the rules. I really like just how simple White Wolf is so looking for something similar. I'd really love to do a Shadowrun campaign but I don't know the setting well enough to DM so waiting for my husband to DM one.
Check out Savage Worlds, it's fairly simple.

Coren_sl

shitlord
Anyone look at D&D Next? I can "point you to" a couple of the PDFs of the current revision of the next version of D&D if someone wants to see it. It's really,REALLYearly though.
I'm running a couple of campaigns of D&D Next, and we're loving it. It is indeed very much in development stages (significant changes to core mechanics are pretty regular), but even so, it seems to keep what I liked about 4e, while keeping it easy and quick to run.

One of the campaigns we're running is at work, during an hour lunch break a couple days a week...one day we didn't expect everyone to be there so I didn't bring the materials (except the dice I had in a coat pocket), and I realized I could pretty much just run it on the fly.

So with only jotted down stats from memory on scratch paper in lieu of character sheets, and running encounters off the top of my head, we played a game session and it was still easier to run and adjudicate than 4e was fully prepared. I think it's fantastic.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So looking forward to Exalted 3rd ed, apparently one of the original writers is back.
I could never get into Exalted. Some character builds seemed to get completely OP, many crossover character types couldn't really hold their own in a group of Solars (hi2u Lunars), and the literal buckets of dice made me want to flip the table over.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying and A Song of Fire and Ice are both better games anyways.
I haven't played either but I've played a lot of the Rogue Trader and Deathwatch stuff and I have somewhat mixed feelings. Most of my issues were with the group though and less the mechanics, though it too seemed to have some OP builds that made other characters somewhat obsolete and given the setting it seemed difficult to guide people away from hack n slash and towards actually roleplaying. AP system was a little annoying though.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
D&D Next seems to have taken 4e and 3e and squished them together into a new mutant offspring that seems mostly worse off than either. You can see some good ideas in there being suffocated by layers of inept design. Like a constant "Two steps forward, three steps back" type of scenario.

Each PDF I get from them I say "Huh, well this is clever, and this is kind of neat and... OH JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ARE TWELVE YEAR OLDS WORKING ON THIS?!?!" and then I throw my computer out the window and it costs me another $1200 for every packet they send.

I haven't played either but I've played a lot of the Rogue Trader and Deathwatch stuff and I have somewhat mixed feelings. Most of my issues were with the group though and less the mechanics, though it too seemed to have some OP builds that made other characters somewhat obsolete and given the setting it seemed difficult to guide people away from hack n slash and towards actually roleplaying. AP system was a little annoying though.
The 40k RPG series has pretty weak rules, they function and are "Ok", but yeah, there are some serious abuses available.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition is a totally, 100%, different mechanic.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We took WFRP2nd edition and use it for a Lord of the Rings game where Saurumon tries to become the dark lord. I like the system though we made a few home rules that smoothed it out. It's the first time we have used it but its been pretty fun and simple.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
There is a fairly new Lord of the Rings RPG out, supposed to be very good, a few people in our group keep talking about it.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
We had a player recommend it but our GM runs like 10 games and wasn't ready to switch.

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
D&D Next is undergoing core gameplay changes with every playtest package, but overall I get a AD&D or 2nd Edition flavor from it.

Combat has been greatly simplified from the overwrought 4e. It doesn't take 15 minutes to sort thru 19 different abilities to decide which attack you're going to use. Of course, the gameplay has been changing drastically with each package... so that might not stay the same.

They're trying to place more emphasis on roleplaying solutions to encounters rather than having it be a tabletop miniatures game. Both spells and skills designs, I think, are going to lend themselves to more creative gaming.

Most gaming stores run D&D Encounters on Wed nights if you want to get a taste. Show up, get a pre-gen character, have some fun every once in awhile.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
D&D Next is undergoing core gameplay changes with every playtest package, but overall I get a AD&D or 2nd Edition flavor from it.

Combat has been greatly simplified from the overwrought 4e. It doesn't take 15 minutes to sort thru 19 different abilities to decide which attack you're going to use. Of course, the gameplay has been changing drastically with each package... so that might not stay the same.

They're trying to place more emphasis on roleplaying solutions to encounters rather than having it be a tabletop miniatures game. Both spells and skills designs, I think, are going to lend themselves to more creative gaming.

Most gaming stores run D&D Encounters on Wed nights if you want to get a taste. Show up, get a pre-gen character, have some fun every once in awhile.
This is what it is supposed to do, yeah.

Next is built on a lot of 4e hate that was built on a lot of fallacies and it is throwing out too much of the good. Add to this some of their designers seem to be just "what the fuck were you thinking" awful in what they seem to be good ideas (they post blogs and stuff about designing the games and sometime they are just mindblowing nonsense).

Honestly, if you want a game less combat/dungeon-crawl/murder-hobo oriented, you should look into the dozen of other non-D&D games. The simple fact that the whole game is based around classes largely based around combat roles and functionality, and 1/3 of the key three books is a "Monster Manual" I don't know why you're so surprised when combat tends to happen.

But anyways, Hasbro is poo. Don't support D&D! There are other, better, games people!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Friend recently and while drunk as fuck bought every book Star Wars Edge of the Empire a comic shop had. Which included 2 copies of the core rule book, and 1 of each module. Long story short we started playing it and it is very cool, really dig how the custom dice work and things like destiny points etc.

Anyone else play?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I have yet to try the Star Wars games unfortunately. I do play a lot of Pathfinder in play by post and some of the Green Ronin Game of Thrones stuff. What is the Edge of the Empire play system like?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have yet to try the Star Wars games unfortunately. I do play a lot of Pathfinder in play by post and some of the Green Ronin Game of Thrones stuff. What is the Edge of the Empire play system like?
Very simple and easy to learn, down side is you need their dice but after a few rounds of combat/dice rolling you get use to the symbols and resolve stuff super fast. Their is no Jedi anymore so you are smugglers and doctors and shit.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Going to be running an online campaign of it with Maptools soon. Custom dice are pretty cool but having a computer tell you what the end result of your roll is after cancelling out stuff does speed it up.

badlok

N00b
Friend recently and while drunk as fuck bought every book Star Wars Edge of the Empire a comic shop had. Which included 2 copies of the core rule book, and 1 of each module. Long story short we started playing it and it is very cool, really dig how the custom dice work and things like destiny points etc.

Anyone else play?
We bought all the books from Ebay 2 years ago i think , we had a nice and long campaign that we finish a couple of months back , really nice game. There so much stuff on the net for DM too.

Wookiepedia is a nice tool to help:

Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
New Star Wars is pretty good. I can't get my old RL group to do anything but Pathfinder though, so only played a few times online.