Pen & Paper/Traditional RPGs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I have Wednesday and Thursday nights off. I've DMed a lot of 4E games, Star Wars SAGA, and the White Wolf games. I'd be willing to get something going if we can get at least 4 players (no more than 5).

Two requirements:

1) We use Roll20. I'm a subscriber and it's an awesome service that needs more people to use it.

2) We use Skype, because Roll20's voice chat software is shit.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'm starting a Thursday night Pathfinder game on Roll20 for rerolled members. The game time will be 4:30-9:00 PM Pacific. You must have skype and a roll20 account (both are free).

Character creation will be level 1. Standard rules. I'll post more information about the setting and story when we have 5 applications in.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure this is doable, everyone said before they wanted to play but no one would DM, I offered and then everyone disappeared...and is still gone as you can see.
frown.png

frown.png

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I sent out a pm to everyone that expressed interest in Pathfinder or any game in general. We'll see what happens.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I actually joined a Star Wars online game about 2 weeks ago in that time slot. It has been a bit... off so far, and not sure how long it will last.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
Great, Himeo. Do I need to be present 4:30-9:00? I get home at about 4:30-5 pacific, I'd hate to delay the game.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Quick question. I have a campaign starting tomorrow. We are doing 2E and I'm just curious if anyone knows how fucking food works. What is the rate of consumption and how does quality change this. I tried using some of my googlefu to answer the question but I came up with nada.

Oh, and if anyone knows, how do the rules work torches? How long do they last? Are they reusable?

Sulrn

Deuces
Quick question. I have a campaign starting tomorrow. We are doing 2E and I'm just curious if anyone knows how fucking food works. What is the rate of consumption and how does quality change this. I tried using some of my googlefu to answer the question but I came up with nada.

Oh, and if anyone knows, how do the rules work torches? How long do they last? Are they reusable?
Food, DM discretion but quality only effects morale. Consumption should be tendered realistically. :/

Torches can be reused as long as you have oil and your material doesn't burn out completely. We always did 6 hours (in game) per container of oil in normal conditions.

I'd jump into the Thursday night gig, but I wouldn't be getting home from the gym by 1630 pacific. :/

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Update on the Thursday Night Game:

Two people have responded with interest so far and neither of them can make the time. Don't think there's enough interest to make it happen.

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
Lodi_sl said:
how fucking food works
In basic, you take 1d2 damage for each day without food; 1d3/day without water; 1d4+1/day without either. Hit points lost this way can't be restored by any means, including magical, until you take in the lost sustenance. The difference in quality was between regular rations and iron rations -- rations last for 1 week, and will spoil overnight if taken underground, while iron rations last for 2 months, and can survive underground.

However, the rules on food and drink are a bit glossed over in AD&D -- as in I can't find the rules at all in the DMG or PHB. In 1st edition, there was a wilderness survival guide that had some advanced rules on the subject -- they were stupidly complicated for a game. About the best you could take from it would be the tolerance level for how long you can go without food before taking damage, and an actual number for the minimum daily requirements of both food and water (in case you actually need to micro-manage.)

Tolerance levels for lack of food

Combined strength
and constitutionTolerance level

15 or less4 days

16 to 195 days

20 to 246 days

25 to 307 days

31 to 358 days

36 or more10 days

Minimum Nourishment
Food: M-sized creatures need 2-lbs of food a day; S-sized creatures need 1-lb of food a day; L-sized creatures need 6-lbs of food a day. Meat counts as double its weight in food value. Dry rations from the 2E PHB are suppose to be enough for one week, so probably about 14-lbs worth.

Water: M-sized creatures need 4-lbs of water (1/2-gal.) a day (or 8-lbs/1-gal. if performing heavy activity); S-sized creatures need half this amount; L-sized creatures need 3? this amount. Conveniently, the wineskin holds exactly 4-lbs, so you can keep track based on those.

Lodi_sl said:
how do the rules work torches? How long do they last? Are they reusable?
http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/PHB/DD01770.htm

In 2E, they last for 30-mins and have a 15-ft radius. They are mostly just a use and drop item, but I suppose if a player had the spare ingrediants, I would let them have a make-shift torch rambo-style. Lantern oil wouldn't do for this, since in most D&D time settings, this is a vegetable oil. So you would need a petroleum-based oil (greek-fire from the equipment list) or a resin-based oil (pitch) to use as the fuel for the torch.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy jesus that's a detailed response, more than I could have asked for. Thanks a lot. I ended up winging it that night, but ill be sure to let the players know the real rules next time. I have to go all nazi now and go "you're underground and your quality of rations is...lacking."

Azziane_sl

shitlord
If your players have to pull up a table even for food rationing does it not bog down the gameplay? I think you have to have rules for food, torches and other misc. features but winging it is the way to go. Something meaningful but simple sounds much better than figuring out how much damage and how many days without food each player can handle. This is a great example of where house rules should come up, imo.

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
Azziane_sl said:
If your players have to pull up a table even for food rationing does it not bog down the gameplay? I think you have to have rules for food, torches and other misc. features but winging it is the way to go. Something meaningful but simple sounds much better than figuring out how much damage and how many days without food each player can handle. This is a great example of where house rules should come up, imo.
I agree partially. I hate the rules from the wilderness survival guide, and even the trimmed down version I posted above is too much for me. However, the rules from b/x are easy enough to follow. Each day ask if they have food. If so, they eat it. Otherwise, they roll for damage. That's not complicated, and I am hard pressed to think of a simpler method outside of just doing a gold reduction each day to cover the cost of living.

However, even on the rare occassions where I use all of the rules BtB, even with encumberance rules, the gameplay was never bogged down more so than other aspects of the game -- such as XP awarding, or keeping track of combat.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I agree partially. I hate the rules from the wilderness survival guide, and even the trimmed down version I posted above is too much for me. However, the rules from b/x are easy enough to follow. Each day ask if they have food. If so, they eat it. Otherwise, they roll for damage. That's not complicated, and I am hard pressed to think of a simpler method outside of just doing a gold reduction each day to cover the cost of living.

However, even on the rare occassions where I use all of the rules BtB, even with encumberance rules, the gameplay was never bogged down more so than other aspects of the game -- such as XP awarding, or keeping track of combat.
I guess once each player knows how food affects their own character it starts rolling smoothly. I tend to prefer having my DM figure something fun out of situations rather than just roll for damage but I also remember half the fun I had played DnD was figuring out the rules and reading the rulebooks.

Once in a while I'd still toss in some improvisation into the food scarcity, though. If you're trying to accentuate the survival aspect and instill some stress in the matter I'd have them have to choose between taking some penalty (damage, STR/thaco w/e) or eat some weird looking fucking shrooms they found glowing on the cavern walls. And then, hallucinations.

And PK.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I'm starting a Thursday night Pathfinder game on Roll20 for rerolled members. The game time will be 4:30-9:00 PM Pacific. You must have skype and a roll20 account (both are free).

Character creation will be level 1. Standard rules. I'll post more information about the setting and story when we have 5 applications in.
Bah, I work Thursdays.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know, in the past we've always winged it. This ended up ruining the experience more often than not. I feel like the rules have a lot of intangible aspects that you can't really perceive outside of actually experiencing them. The only time i'll modify a rule is when it's flat out stupid.

lindz

#DDs
Any recommendations on good, simple skill based role playing systems? I love White Wolf, but not in the mood to run a Vampire or Werewolf campaign right now and I want to do something for my husband. I really dislike D&D style systems, way too rulesy for me. I tried GURPS a few times but get so bogged down in the rules. I really like just how simple White Wolf is so looking for something similar. I'd really love to do a Shadowrun campaign but I don't know the setting well enough to DM so waiting for my husband to DM one.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have plugged A Song of Ice & Fire a few times which is a very nice skill based game set in Game of Thrones, though I imagine you could ignore the setting and use ot to play more historical, non-magic, pre-firearms games with near zero effort. There are a few issues but overall quite nice.

I always hear good things about Big Eyes, Small Mouth v3. Stupid name aside you can use it to do anything thoreticly. It is out of print so have to use 'back channels' to aquire I believe.

World of Darkness tends to be fine, for short term at least, without Vampire or Werewolf or whatever. Just be people.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Been DMing a 4th edition campaign for the last 2 months, 4 hours a week. We are doing our sessions over Skype using Maptool. What sucks is how incredibly long the combat seems to take. It has been 15 years since I played before, but the 4th edition keeping track of all the different marks and debuffs just seems to add alot of stuff you have to keep track of for even really basic melee combat.

lindz

#DDs
I'm taking a look at Free, Universal RPG right now. It seems to be really simple and elegant which is what I'm looking for. I'm happy making my own world so a universal system should work just fine. Any one used it before? I'll give a bit of a review if I actually get going with it, but have heard good things.

Song of Ice and Fire looks interesting as well, I really enjoy low magic campaigns so I'll take a look. Thank you.