Persona 5 - Coming to...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, guess there goes the idea of trading in the wife's PS3, hah...

Weird that they're not going portable with it with their recent focii.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My friend asked me if I wanted to sell him my old fat PS3 (that plays PS1 & 2) now that I have a PS4. I laughed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I read the title I was like "oh god please don't be a mobile game, please don't be a mobile game". Even Vita would have been ok, PS3's just fine. Makes sense they don't decide to go and redo the entire thing to launch on PS4, probably been in the making for a couple of years. 2015 or so is probably when the next gen will actually be in full motion.

Also I wonder if they'll release HD remakes on PS4 or whatever, of the older personas.

Vaclav

No worries on 3DS already got that squared away so she'll be glad to hear that, its interesting how the 3DS title (Persona Q is the title FYI if you missed/forgot) has Chibi'ed all the characters, but Aigis still looks basically identical, amuses me.

And the dancing game sorta makes sense - their soundtracks have been so incredibly good that dance is a natural spin off - and THANK GOD IT'S NOT KINECT BULLSHIT but actually like Guitar Hero/QTE with button matchups that is actually somewhat fun.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Thank god it's not on a fucking handheld.

Big year for JRPGs on the PS3 heh. Tales of Symohonia Chronicles HD, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Escha and Logy, Drakengard 3, The Witch and The Hundred Knights, and hopefully Ar no Surge.

Vaclav

Thank god it's not on a fucking handheld.

Big year for JRPGs on the PS3 heh. Tales of Symohonia Chronicles HD, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Escha and Logy, Drakengard 3, The Witch and The Hundred Knights, and hopefully Ar no Surge.
But you said no more playing shit on PS3 anymore (re: AC:L HD)! You were being a little hyperbolic weren't you? Because yea, that's alot to miss. [Sidenote: That Atelier a single game with 2 protagonists or two separate Ateliers on schedule?]

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Single game, two protagonists.

Im excited for P5, but Winter 2014 in Japan means a long wait for us
frown.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
But you said no more playing shit on PS3 anymore (re: AC:L HD)! You were being a little hyperbolic weren't you? Because yea, that's alot to miss. [Sidenote: That Atelier a single game with 2 protagonists or two separate Ateliers on schedule?]
I meant that I didn't want to play anymore shit on the PS3. Going to have to for probably another 2 years though.

Two protagonists, one game. First game with a male protagonist in a long time.

Vaclav

Single game, two protagonists.

Im excited for P5, but Winter 2014 in Japan means a long wait for us
frown.png
I'd not be too sure of that, didn't Dragon's Crown only have like a 1 week wait between JPN and NA? Atlus might be stepping up their game on conversion time.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'd not be too sure of that, didn't Dragon's Crown only have like a 1 week wait between JPN and NA? Atlus might be stepping up their game on conversion time.
It depends on when they start Localizing it. And P5 will have a hell of a lot more involved in the localization than Dragon's Crown. Though do have more resources now with Sega behind them.

Vaclav

Yea, I realize the amount is different scales - but still 10 days for Dragon's Crown (checked Wiki) should translate to maybe 2 months tops of a wait I'd hope if they manage the same pace. Assuming no change in resources.

And aren't the other studios within Atlus much larger than Vanillaware? Vanillaware is only 23 people. (Updated since Wiki has it)

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yea, I realize the amount is different scales - but still 10 days for Dragon's Crown (checked Wiki) should translate to maybe 2 months tops of a wait I'd hope if they manage the same pace. Assuming no change in resources.

And aren't the other studios within Atlus much larger than Vanillaware? Vanillaware is only 23 people. (Updated since Wiki has it)
Right, but there's a lot more than that. It's not like Dragon's Crown got localized in 10 days. There was either localizing going on while the game was in development or they held off on the Japanese release to hit a target window to launch in or make it a world wide release. Localization takes a long time.

And yeah, Vanillaware is tiny. It's likely an entirely different team did the localization for them or it was outsourced to another company (there's a few out there that do it). I don't think any of the JRPG devs do much localization internally if any.

Vorph

Atlus USA did the Dragon's Crown localization for Vanillaware.

And Atlus USA is pretty small too, so basically like Sean said, it all comes down to when Atlus JPN gives them the script, cutscenes, etc. to start working on, as well as how many other other things they have going on too. If they intend to use the usual bunch of VAs there may be delays there too, since Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, and Liam O'Brien in particular are in tons of games now and would need to be scheduled around.

I would expect a delay about the same as the PS2 games and Catherine, ~6 months. Hoping for it any sooner than that will just lead to disappointment.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think localization for a game like Dragon's Crown is also faster than for a full RPG, just less text/voice acting. Dragon's Crown mostly has the story telling part which is well, story telling, so there's not too much in terms of inflection and stuff, so less takes I would assume meaning it gets recorded faster. Then you have a few combat sounds, and that's basically it. Text wise there's not much either. It still has more text than say a fighter game, but less than a RPG. And yeah as pointed out it all depends on how early they start doing localization and how much they care about doing close releases.

Btw Dragon's Crown didn't get near enough coverage/reviews imo. If you can get past the artstyle(I personally like it) it's a pretty awesome game, mixing the old school beat em all style with diablo-like item generation and randomly generated dungeons. Tight combat too, lots of comboing, fast paced, really great game.

Anyway not expecting much from this in terms of release date, probably 6-8months later most likely. Also should be obvious but when they say winter 2014, they mean next winter right? Cause I mean January is winter 2014.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Winter 2014 is always November-December. January is never part of "winter" as far as game releases go.

And Dragon's Crown's art style is amazing as fuck. I can't imagine someone having a real issuing in "getting past" it. The people who took issue with the character designs are total dumbfucks.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Winter 2014 is always November-December. January is never part of "winter" as far as game releases go.

And Dragon's Crown's art style is amazing as fuck. I can't imagine someone having a real issuing in "getting past" it. The people who took issue with the character designs aretotal dumbfucks.
Yup.