Persona 5

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Translation seems fine to me. Igor's language is a little idiosyncratic, but he always talks like that iirc. Is that what the fuss is about?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Neogaf is a bunch of weebo neckbeard retards. Anything less than playing with the original Japanese dubs and text while cuddling with M'Waifu pillow is going to be scoffed at.

And yeah, digital makes sense with two consoles and players since you can share them especially if you don't trade in or sell. My steelbook copy ended up costing $36 plus tax, hard to justify going up to $60 when I don't share my purchases with anyone.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Translation seems fine, but it's kinda literal at times. If you're a weeb master, you've been watching japanese stuff with subs and literal translations for a while(like most of the stuff on crunchysubs), so you'll notice certain phrases and expressions that are literal translation of japanese stuff especially since a lot of the writing is very anime and as such reuses the standard anime tropes dialogues, and it "sounds japanese". But really unless you actually know about it, it pretty much doesn't.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whether or not the translation is good is really immaterial as far as deciding between voice language goes though. There's only one set of subs regardless of which voices you use, and the subs are nearly 100% the same as what the VAs say in English. Personally I think it sounds fine, and I prefer my translations literal anyway. Can't stand when they start doing stuff like removing honorifics.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I have no issues with the translations since I don't know Japanese.

As to the "killing them too quick", which is a thing, you might be able to summon a low level persona featuring the weakness you need or buy a low tier weapon (or don't sell the newbie ones). Can't miss personas at least since all of them can be found in the random dungeon.

Only gripe so far is that the personas don't end up in the compendium other than visiting the velvet room (so far at least). So I guess for Palaces the tactic would be to have a few personas that you keep for the social links you are working on and swapping out newly gotten personas travelling to the velvet room every time you hit a safe room if you have a new one on you.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I haven't had any issues with the translations at all, what little Japanese I know its pretty much a word for word translation, guess gaffers just wanna bitch and moan about something sense they can't find anything else wrong really... other then the stream stuff, but I guess they have been doing this for years with videos, tons of YT vid's I use to watch on older Persona games are removed.....

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
NeoGAF is the absolute worst place to go to discuss anything JRPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I have no idea what I am doing, but not impressed so far. Spent hours cleaning my room looking for the fucking subway line to go to school.

Apparently I have to live with a crazy cafe owner becouse I stoped a rape....
I have to hit. X every 5 second In a semi cut scene. No battles yet? Wtf.
No vice actor for my char...convos seem really odd..

Someone give me a reason to keep going.....

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First few weeks of the Persona games from P3 on are like that. You just have to get through the intro and then you can do whatever you want.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya, was gonna say still in the tutorial after the first major boss is when the game lets you do whatever, and gets much better

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I have no idea what I am doing, but not impressed so far. Spent hours cleaning my room looking for the fucking subway line to go to school.

No reason to go on. Good night sweet prince

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

That X every 5 seconds never goes away, though you can set it to auto in the menu I think.

Characters all build. Persona games are heavily story based, including nearly every side character you encounter. There is little in the game that isn't expanded upon (characters as well as events). Basically almost every character fits into a "typecast" role, then as the game progresses you learn more about them, their characters grow. Persona games don't shy away from more adult reasons why people are like they are either, be it abuse, depression, sex, and so on. Reason I say that is because the beginning conversations can indeed seem quite odd, but conversations get better and more involved later on as you get to know more characters and more about them.

Combat in persona games is great (when you get to it of course :) )

If you dislike the conversation/social link aspect of it and don't care at all about story and just want combat, then it might never get better for you. The game starts off narrow and expands the story and your abilities to do more things slowly, with many being locked until you beat the first palace as Vorph mentioned. Essential it is roughly a 10 hour tutorial including completing the first dungeon (that you also need to encounter a few times before it turns into the actual dungeon). Personally loving it, keeps getting better.

Tenks

Maybe Nester can't read or hear but they explained it pretty cut and dry why you're in your situation after stopping the assault

spronk

FPS noob
yeah as a person who mostly plays WRPGs I find a lot of stuff in JRPGs pretty annoying, I never could get far in P4G but I think I mistook JRPG aspects to just playing on a vita, i really can't play on a handheld console more than an hour or so before I really want to do something else.

I'm still pre May 4th or whatever in P5, still haven't finished the first palace, so early in the game. I'm sorta enjoying it but sorta not. I HATE how sometimes your choices are so ... japanese? restricted? Like that cute ann chick wants to join up, and this cock blocking Street Fighter reject tells her to go back home or whatever. FUCK YOU, i wanna bang this chick!! Yeah yeah I know it all changes a bit later, but so many dialogues so far only give me options that are totally opposite of what I want

I do find, for whatever reason, wandering around hallways looking for objectives makes me totally sleepy. I literally need to drink 2 cups of coffee before I start playing P5, and if I play at night it will put me right to bed.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

I don't know why anyone who didn't like P3/P4 would buy P5 and expect it to change their minds. Every review and pre-release buzz was just saying this is a more refined Persona. It isn't like you ever had meaningful conversation options in the previous Persona3+ games iirc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah conversation options are an illusion at best. They matter when you do confidant missions but only in the sense that picking the "correct" options moves your bar further for the next mission. There's still no impact beyond that one conversation stream.

Outside of those, your responses literally only affect the next frame from what I've seen so far and then the discussion goes back on script. Thats fine with me, I don't really want another ME or fallout type game. Persona is all about combat system and story/character development. There is essentially no story branching and extremely minimal dialogue branching.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

This happened to me with P4G. I kept going to school, go home, eat, sleep, go to school. I never did figure out what the hell to do after. With that said, I always really wanted to figure out how to play because I liked the story and characters.

Tenks

The school phase is all about establishing and enhancing your SLinks to unlock SLink gated personas. Or at least in the previous games. Generally your options are to either spend your time doing SLink related activities or do the dungeon. If you do both too many days in a row your character will be too tired to do either. If you just go to school, immediately go home and then go to bed that means you need to reevaluate your time management and try and pack more in per day. Like some SLink options are only available on certain days and if you just sleep until next Tuesday to talk to Samantha again to reach SLink5 you need to find things to do on the other days.