Persona 5

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I played the non-royal edition a few years ago. I think I ended with about 106 hours played which is pretty impressive given my tendency to flame out on games really quickly. I enjoyed the shit out of it, but did find it incredibly easy towards the end of the game (and maybe a bit repetitive - the battles). I don't remember if there was a difficulty setting in the game but if I had it to do over again I'd probably play royal , and hard mode if it exists. Highly recommend it for anyone that enjoys turn-based rpg.

At first I thought I wouldn't enjoy listening to a bunch of school kids complain about their problems in an over-the-top animae style but it really grew on me. When I got to the first dungeon and faced the boss of it (won't spoil it) , was when I decided I was going to complete the game. Pretty great.
P5 is just a real chill enjoyable game. Y'all are missing out if you don't play it. Especially since it's on PC now.

When I have a spare 130 hours I'll get around to playing royal I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Playing it on PC now. Can actually run it on a 1080gtx at 4k with 60fps. Granted it's more style than actual "gfx", but looks good and is fluid. Excellent port, but while it doesn't apply to me, it doesn't support ultrawide. The flawless widescreen people are working on it, and you can get it at ultrawide with small black bars top and bottom, but removed they still stretch the UI.

Other than that, highly recommend. Royal adds a lot of stuff.

PS: There is a lot of accessories given in this since they add 40 dlc items. 10 of many of them. So rushing towards the Doctor unlocks for the SP regen items isn't something you need to worry that much about. You get 10x of the camera strap accessory which gives 10 sp and 5% hp regen per turn when ambushing. So I easily completed the first dungeon from start to treasure room in one go without worrying about SP.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that DLC stuff is ridiculously broken. I remember having to farm Agathions for a long time to get enough Soul Drops to make it through the palace in one day back in vanilla P5. Don't even remember how I managed it when I played Royal on PS4, since they removed Soul Drops from them. Only DLC I own on PS is the legacy and battle bundles so definitely didn't have Camera Straps.

DLC personas are actually a bit of a double edged sword. They're pretty broken overall but if you're trying not to cheat too much it's sort of irritating because they get jammed into the fusion results and you may find that base game personas you want to use are more difficult to fuse than they should be.

For anyone looking to run through the game completing everything without having to agonize over the day-to-day schedule this is probably the best walkthrough now:
Persona 5 Royal Walkthrough (use the Battle Route options always)

Also, that's the same site that has the best fusion calc for P5 and every other SMT game.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been playing shit for the last couple of months with any enthusiasm, but started this yesterday on Gamepass and have close to 20 hours into it already. It's the first Persona game I've played and I am not spoiling or using guides so it's been entertaining trying to figure everything out. The constant forced pacing is kind of annoying, but I suppose it's a must for a 100+ hour game just to do main quest. Very cool game and a good change of pace from typical JRPGs so far.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I haven't been playing shit for the last couple of months with any enthusiasm, but started this yesterday on Gamepass and have close to 20 hours into it already. It's the first Persona game I've played and I am not spoiling or using guides so it's been entertaining trying to figure everything out. The constant forced pacing is kind of annoying, but I suppose it's a must for a 100+ hour game just to do main quest. Very cool game and a good change of pace from typical JRPGs so far.

Use the non spoiler guides. It is possible to miss out on the "Royal" content part of the game if you do not. It is not super detailed. Mostly just having to get relationships with certain ranks before a certain date.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
vmjp9b8vdsv91.jpg

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
The Maid service has me rolling on the floor. Can that be a love interest?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I only played vanilla and just stuck with my Anne Bae. However one of the girlfriends gives you way more benefits if min maxing is your thing.

Vorph

However one of the girlfriends gives you way more benefits if min maxing is your thing.
Which are you referring to? Only difference I remember there being between them is you get a gift that very slightly speeds up confidant point gain in NG+. Not even sure it lets you rank up early, it might just let you skip bringing a persona of the right arcana along. Other than that you get the same max rank benefits whether you choose the romance dialogues at rank 9 or not.

spronk

FPS noob
since its free on gamepass decided to start it up and play a few hours a week for a couple months, i plat'd P5 long, long ago but don't remember too much. I forgot how banging the music is, really catchy shit.

you guys playing with English or Jap VA? I started with japanese but think i'll switch to english, its easy to tune out and read something else while characters are talking but can't do that without english and the english VAs seem fine so far.

Vorph

English, always.

I'll never understand why Atlus JP insisted they pronounce most of the names incorrectly though.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Which are you referring to? Only difference I remember there being between them is you get a gift that very slightly speeds up confidant point gain in NG+. Not even sure it lets you rank up early, it might just let you skip bringing a persona of the right arcana along. Other than that you get the same max rank benefits whether you choose the romance dialogues at rank 9 or not.
the nurse has accessories that regen sp each round of combat as you increase rank. Makes it trivial to clear up to the treasure room or whatever forced story dungeon exit in one go and you don't need to be super conservative with blowing shit up.

Needless

Toe Sucker
unless the VA is star ocean levels of bad i'll always opt for the language i can understand, weeb faggotry is never the answer

• 1Like

Vorph

the nurse has accessories that regen sp each round of combat as you increase rank. Makes it trivial to clear up to the treasure room or whatever forced story dungeon exit in one go and you don't need to be super conservative with blowing shit up.
I was assuming he meant the actual girlfriend status as opposed to friend zoning them at rank 9.

Death only needs rank 5 for the accessories and generally you'll have that done by mid-June, maybe early July if you delay it a bit and just use the cheater DLC for a while longer.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Maid service has me rolling on the floor. Can that be a love interest?
Bonus points if you love interest all of them.

having them all show up on valentines day had me rolling when I just wanted to play Lothario

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I did a thing.
1671032376049.png

Was really disappointed in the romance with Mrs Kawakami =/

• 1Thoughts & Prayers