Pets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
their lifespan is usually pretty short.

If there were any justice in this world, dogs would be immortal.

Mine just had a mast cell tumor removed this spring and we found another lump on her today. =(

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If there were any justice in this world, dogs would be immortal.

Mine just had a mast cell tumor removed this spring and we found another lump on her today. =(

mast tumors on a dog arent always a huge deal, until they are. the batteries are running down on my dog now, I knew since the day i got her at 18 weeks a time would come where she would keel over or I would have to put her down. I would much rather her keel over. sucks either way, the loyalty and love of a dog is one of the greatest gifts you can experience on the planet. treat everyday like it wont come again.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went to meet someone today at their house. Dude introduced me to his dog. Its called a Leonberger (or German Mountain Dog). Bastard was 180 pounds. Not Great Dane skinny big. This thing was a german tank. Random stock pictures of the breed below to show the size and scale of this monster. Nice as could be and very well behaved. I had never heard of these dogs before.

View attachment 339904

View attachment 339905

When I was a kid I was canvassing up in the hills. I remember one time it got dark and I was crossing someone's lawn to knock on the door and some large creature stood up in their yard near me and walked towards me. It was humongous and I thought it was a bear, and that I was probably dead. It turned out to be one of these and it basically just said hello. I don't think they have a bad bone in their body. I was very happy to not be dead.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any cat advice here? I've got two of them here that have been together since kitten (11 now) but never got along. Now the male won't leave the female alone and it's really irritating. They're neutered/spayed.

Actually they did get along when they were small, got along great, until the female came back from being spayed. After that she didn't really let people pick her up and she didn't want the other cat near her. I don't know what the deal is but she has otherwise been fine since then and is very active.

In any case male cat won't leave female cat alone, so at night I separate them so I can go to sleep, and then male cat starts acting up with that, scratching on doors and making a lot of noise, waking me up all hours. It got to the point where I was installing pheromone diffusers, giving him shots of calming oil, and just straight-up spraying him with a bottle when he misbehaved. The calming oil works well but only for about four hours. The spraying works as a deterrent and most cats stop the behavior quickly with that, but not this guy, he'll wait a couple minutes and then try the behavior again. Over and over, to the point where after I've zapped him 10-15 times it's like "what am I doing". He isn't learning anything and at that point it just starts to feel like you're abusing a special needs kid.

There have been a few times lately when I had to put him in a cage in the bathroom and just leave him in there while I sleep because it's the only way I'll get any sleep. I hate doing that too.

Might try a pheromone collar next. If that doesn't work I'll have to give him up, and after 11 years of him being my bro I don't want to do that. Hell, I got him when I was still with my first girlfriend. I don't know if anyone else will be able to deal with him either if they have any other pets.

Any advice on how to get one cat to stop fooling with another cat so I can just let them both roam around at night and stop micromanaging the male at the detriment of any sort of normal sleep cycle?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
One of my cats loves stalking and treating the other one like entertainment. Every night, the second we’d get into bed, the chasing would start and just would never stop. Was absolutely ruining my sleep, too. Thankfully, I have a second bedroom/office so I got a pet gate for that room and she has to sleep there now. Biggest thing is making the process of getting in there a routine. I keep her food and water bowl there so when we’re going to sleep and I’m feeding them dinner, she’s already going in there to eat. Also keep a litter box and bed/toys she likes in there as well. Has a window to a bird feeder outside as well.

Cat is also a stubborn turd during the daytime when she gets in a staking mood. You see it in her face and there is just no deterrent. Tossing other toys, water bottle, physically blocking her, etc. Yelling/scolding have 0 effect, that sort of shit just doesn’t work on cats, they’ve got almond brain.

Also, make sure you’re playing with him in some way. Sounds like he’s older but just some form of stimulation that you can get him going with, especially if it’s right before dinner/bed. Can try treat puzzles as well, if they’re sufficiently challenging that he can still get treats but it takes a couple minutes of work. Cat Amazing makes some good ones of varying difficulty. But the most challenging ones I have are a couple of small shipping boxes with some holes cut in and I stuffed in some shredded packing paper throughout them. You see him getting bored and want to start some shit, throw a few treats in there and let him work his little brain.

Love my cats, but goddamn were my dogs so much easier to mold behaviors of and train. Hopefully something here helps out. And also, if you go the separate room route at night time, like you’ve said, he’s going to bitch about it. The hardest shit to do there is to ignore his ass. It sucks, mine still whines on occasion too, but have to give 0 acknowledgement to it otherwise it reinforces that bitching = attention, even if it’s just you yelling at them. Good luck.

The turd in question:
4845A597-F542-4B3A-BE34-3FB7DBBFDBEF.jpeg

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Any cat advice here? I've got two of them here that have been together since kitten (11 now) but never got along. Now the male won't leave the female alone and it's really irritating. They're neutered/spayed.

Actually they did get along when they were small, got along great, until the female came back from being spayed. After that she didn't really let people pick her up and she didn't want the other cat near her. I don't know what the deal is but she has otherwise been fine since then and is very active.

In any case male cat won't leave female cat alone, so at night I separate them so I can go to sleep, and then male cat starts acting up with that, scratching on doors and making a lot of noise, waking me up all hours. It got to the point where I was installing pheromone diffusers, giving him shots of calming oil, and just straight-up spraying him with a bottle when he misbehaved. The calming oil works well but only for about four hours. The spraying works as a deterrent and most cats stop the behavior quickly with that, but not this guy, he'll wait a couple minutes and then try the behavior again. Over and over, to the point where after I've zapped him 10-15 times it's like "what am I doing". He isn't learning anything and at that point it just starts to feel like you're abusing a special needs kid.

There have been a few times lately when I had to put him in a cage in the bathroom and just leave him in there while I sleep because it's the only way I'll get any sleep. I hate doing that too.

Might try a pheromone collar next. If that doesn't work I'll have to give him up, and after 11 years of him being my bro I don't want to do that. Hell, I got him when I was still with my first girlfriend. I don't know if anyone else will be able to deal with him either if they have any other pets.

Any advice on how to get one cat to stop fooling with another cat so I can just let them both roam around at night and stop micromanaging the male at the detriment of any sort of normal sleep cycle?
Cats are insidious creatures. You don't get them to do what you want, they get you to do what they want. It is the way.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One of my cats loves stalking and treating the other one like entertainment. Every night, the second we’d get into bed, the chasing would start and just would never stop. Was absolutely ruining my sleep, too. Thankfully, I have a second bedroom/office so I got a pet gate for that room and she has to sleep there now. Biggest thing is making the process of getting in there a routine. I keep her food and water bowl there so when we’re going to sleep and I’m feeding them dinner, she’s already going in there to eat. Also keep a litter box and bed/toys she likes in there as well. Has a window to a bird feeder outside as well.

Cat is also a stubborn turd during the daytime when she gets in a staking mood. You see it in her face and there is just no deterrent. Tossing other toys, water bottle, physically blocking her, etc. Yelling/scolding have 0 effect, that sort of shit just doesn’t work on cats, they’ve got almond brain.

Also, make sure you’re playing with him in some way. Sounds like he’s older but just some form of stimulation that you can get him going with, especially if it’s right before dinner/bed. Can try treat puzzles as well, if they’re sufficiently challenging that he can still get treats but it takes a couple minutes of work. Cat Amazing makes some good ones of varying difficulty. But the most challenging ones I have are a couple of small shipping boxes with some holes cut in and I stuffed in some shredded packing paper throughout them. You see him getting bored and want to start some shit, throw a few treats in there and let him work his little brain.

Love my cats, but goddamn were my dogs so much easier to mold behaviors of and train. Hopefully something here helps out. And also, if you go the separate room route at night time, like you’ve said, he’s going to bitch about it. The hardest shit to do there is to ignore his ass. It sucks, mine still whines on occasion too, but have to give 0 acknowledgement to it otherwise it reinforces that bitching = attention, even if it’s just you yelling at them. Good luck.

The turd in question:
View attachment 378975

Good stuff. I'll probably try the treat puzzles. I think you're onto something with the playing, because the only thing that has changed on my end this year is that I haven't been playing with him much at all compared to previous years. Most of the time I feel like total junk so I rest a lot when I'm home. That might well be why all of these behavioral issues started. Unfortunately I don't know if I can do much to remedy that unless my health suddenly picks up dramatically. It's as much as I can do right now to just make sure all of my people issues get taken care of on time, much less have energy left over for this guy. I feel kinda bad for him, I'm too tired to play and his sister hates his guts so he can't play with her. Course, she hates his guts because he wouldn't stop attacking her. So he made his own bed, but it isn't like he knows that with his walnut brain.

Cats are insidious creatures. You don't get them to do what you want, they get you to do what they want. It is the way.

Yeah. Dogs worship us, cats see us as slaves. I really enjoyed the company of this cat for 10 out of the 11 years I've had him, but I can safely say that after this year I don't think I'm gonna want another pet for a long time. It's been like raising a baby without the promise of said baby growing out of it. The main reason I never had kids was because I didn't want to deal with this kind of thing, not getting any sleep etc. Yet here we are and it's been about 10 months of suffering.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, sounds a lot like my situation. Arya gets bored, wants to play/hunt and there's no better toy than another live animal. Sansa wants none of that shit and actively avoids her as much as possible, even when Arya's not being a bit of a jerk.

Here's the two puzzle boxes I've bought (the brown one's easy mode, the white one's a bit tougher). I'll also stuff some of their other small mice and balls in there as obstacles to work around while they're foraging.

And here's the ones I just did myself. Box, couple holes, some paper stuffing. The smaller one takes them the longest since they just have to feel around in there and can't really see into it well.

05854B99-0EA6-4ADA-A9E9-BCC5B92987F1.jpeg

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, sounds a lot like my situation. Arya gets bored, wants to play/hunt and there's no better toy than another live animal. Sansa wants none of that shit and actively avoids her as much as possible, even when Arya's not being a bit of a jerk.

Here's the two puzzle boxes I've bought (the brown one's easy mode, the white one's a bit tougher). I'll also stuff some of their other small mice and balls in there as obstacles to work around while they're foraging.

And here's the ones I just did myself. Box, couple holes, some paper stuffing. The smaller one takes them the longest since they just have to feel around in there and can't really see into it well.

View attachment 378983

Yeah that's awesome, I'll try the easier one. Funny coincidence that they're named Sansa and Arya, because mine are also named after a show: Xander and Willow from Buffy.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Anyone have experience with sick cats? Mine suddenly is barely eating and is sleeping all day. First time he's acting this way. No visible injuries or anything. No vomiting or diarrhea as far as I know (he's mostly an outdoor cat but has been in the house all day). One odd behavior prior to this was trying to drink water out of the toilet.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone have experience with sick cats? Mine suddenly is barely eating and is sleeping all day. First time he's acting this way. No visible injuries or anything. No vomiting or diarrhea as far as I know (he's mostly an outdoor cat but has been in the house all day). One odd behavior prior to this was trying to drink water out of the toilet.

Generally speaking if a cat seems sick enough for a human to notice, they're sick enough to need a vet visit. Cats are extremely good at hiding signs of illness.

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If it’s acting this way for more than a a day or two it’s vet time. Like Gavin said, they’re difficult to notice when they’re sick. A lot of times they’ll even just physically hide, like under a bed or behind a couch.

You can check if he’s dehydrated now by pulling his skin up. It should snap back quick, if it kind of stays up it’s dehydrated, you can force some liquids with a syringe pretty easily just to help it out a little before the vet visit. Just put it in the back corner of his mouth and he’ll lap it up cause he doesn’t have a choice.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

cat-wearing-face-mask.jpg

He's got the 'Rona

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Sitting with my doge this morning and remembered when I posted this, well 4 years later he's still going. He has been on three medications twice daily this entire time and it seems to have really helped him. He is certainly getting older now has been blind since shortly after this event but he's a happy dog. I don't know how long he has but I'm happy he's been with us well past what I thinking would happen after leaving that hospital.

View attachment 337516
unnamed (1).jpg

Lost my dog this morning, such a punch to the gut when they are hurting. Been up since 3am doing what I could for him and just reaching the end of my tether that I knew only thing I could do for him was to end it. Was an awesome dog for 15 years. I was stressing about having a blind dog moving to a new home so in some ways I'm grateful he won't have to go through that change. I know a lot of forum bros have lost a long term companion, and for that I'm sorry but I don't think anyone would give it up even when the end is tough.

• 8Solidarity
  • 4Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 11 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else noticed the cost of pet flea medication skyrocketing in past year?

In late 2020, I bought a years supply of Simparica (12 pills) and Revolution Plus (24 pills) for about $350

Heres the price I'm looking at today from a Canadian pet pharmacy (the cheapest one I could find) and with a 10% discount

Anyone got any better ideas or hacks where one can get pet flea medicine and doesnt have to eat a 60% inflationary cost because of President Brandon? Anyone know of a cheaper website than CanadaPetCare.com ?

1647098391046.png

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My cat only ever makes this face when "Beauty in Fallen Leaves" by Yob is playing. Two separate occasions here.
PXL_20210902_134534230x_1.jpg
PXL_20210830_231322768x_1.jpg

• 1Like