Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Phantasy Star is a game franchise that tried to copy Final Fantasy, stayed mediocre, and led to PSO, which - like the PSO2 - was a game with about as much content releases as a B-tier game.

PSO2 was emptying quickly in its Japan incarnation, so they tried a "ARR" with New Genesis, but they still have less content releases than WoW, with a full sci-fi anime look and action combat. It's not a bad game... for about 30 hours. Then it becomes one.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Microsoft running the NA versions of these games make it dead in the water. It's like EGS for the FF7 Remake there is a sizeable amount of people who won't touch it and will continue waiting for the Steam version. That can't happen with this game so players will look elsewhere.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
NGS is a fun game with some issues, but you really need to understand what you're getting into. It's a game that is extremely barebones on release, and then as time goes on, they build on it. As it is right now, there's still not much content, even with the new region. The game suffers from a lot of issues, but there's some pretty good and fun things with it.

I wouldn't say they are trying to do an ARR with it though. That's not really the case. It's just another game in the PSO universe, basically. It just has special tie-ins with PSO2.

So far, overall though, the game has been a disappointment, but its still fun if you're like me and enjoy grinds and stuff. There's about 5,000 players through steam, who knows how many on the MS Store, and probably several thousand on console.

It's not a garbage tier game though. It's just not a long-term MMO until maybe around 2025 or so.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Last week was a huge graphical update to support DLSS and AMD FSR (I feel they should have done this on release but anyway, it's here and looks a lot nicer and runs better). Tonight, the first real raid drops (Dark Falz infasion) plus I believe a story to go along with it. I'm probably the only one that plays this, but the game is starting to get fairly regular content updates and is enjoyable in an off again on again relationship.

Enjoy some fight music.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I dunno man. I'm a big ps4 fan, but phantasy star had like 3 good games in its whole run.

Ok? Ps1 ps2 and ps4 were amazing. Ps3 was ok.

Not sure what that has to do with "copying" Final Fantasy, though.

Both franchises released days apart and outside of being turn based, aren't very similar.

If anything, FF7's Aeris dying was copied from Alis dying in PS4

Goonsquad Officer
I mean I guess they rolled with the general jrp trends of the day. My point was thst after ps4 they could never stick another landing again. Whoever did 2 and 4 must have sailed on for other shores.

I meant more that they were a flop of a franchiW after a few games. Not that they are ff clones

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I mean I guess they rolled with the general jrp trends of the day. My point was thst after ps4 they could never stick another landing again. Whoever did 2 and 4 must have sailed on for other shores.

I meant more that they were a flop of a franchiW after a few games. Not that they are ff clones

Not sure I follow.

Their games didn't flop they just stopped making them for some reason. PS4 was the last single player game they made. Wasn't until like 10 years later where they started making the online ones.

It's gone way too far into the weeb area which I can't stand, but I think they've still sold well and have been popular

Goonsquad Officer
Im an enormous fan of ps4. I thought pso was ip abuse.. it was fine for what it was, but it wasn't a phantasy star game. The genre drift didn't serve the setting well.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not sure I follow.

Their games didn't flop they just stopped making them for some reason. PS4 was the last single player game they made. Wasn't until like 10 years later where they started making the online ones.

It's gone way too far into the weeb area which I can't stand, but I think they've still sold well and have been popular
The original PSO was amazing as fuck for a Dreamcast game. It's was more a clone of ARPGs like Diablo than anything else. Great great game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I think they just make PSO different things. I mean, you had PSO on the DC as like an ARPG, then you go PSO2 with small instanced areas with various difficulties, into PSO2NGS with open world setting.

I think the series is still good, but I totally get I'm in the minority. NGS is most certainly waifu simulator weebXtreme dxII-GAIDAN edition.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im an enormous fan of ps4. I thought pso was ip abuse.. it was fine for what it was, but it wasn't a phantasy star game. The genre drift didn't serve the setting well.
This is sort of my take. I played all the early Phantasy Star games on my Sega as a kid. Not a single iteration of PSO has peaked my interest at all. As far as Phantasy Star 4 goes, I had a prepubescent crush on Rika. She was just a straight up bad ass.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Next year they are adding personal and alliance housing, pretty nice with the customizability and ability to let multiple people build your places for you. I'm probably the only one here that still plays this here though lmao.

New region Stia also comes out tonight. This is the 4th one, and the last one on Halpha probably. They have said that the game will be changing "in a major way" after this, which makes sense since we always knew since day 1 there were 4 main regions on this planet. I presume stuff will start happening in space after this latest update.

Anyway here's preview of the new Creative Spaces, which allows you to build your personal and alliance quarters:

And here's a preview of the upcoming region Stia, which releases tonight after maintence is over which will be about 7am or so PST on 12/7: