Phoenix Freeshard - DAoC

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I was looking at Phoenix recently too but that last time I tried to go back to DAoC this past year it hit me like a ton of bricks how awkward the movement system is. I'm sure I could get used to it again but idk if I would want to. I also made the mistake of trying to go to a "Live" classic server.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I was looking at Phoenix recently too but that last time I tried to go back to DAoC this past year it hit me like a ton of bricks how awkward the movement system is. I'm sure I could get used to it again but idk if I would want to. I also made the mistake of trying to go to a "Live" classic server.

Default movement settings are really awful, you just need to open the keybinds menu and select “mmorpg style” and it more or less fixes it. Then you move, pan camera and face your character all with the mouse just like Everquest. Keyboard movement in DAOC is like 10x clunkier than in EQ for some reason.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am coming to Phoenix with a few pals, probably going Mid because we’ve heard it’s the weakest faction. We will mostly be casuals but if anyone is interested in joining up hit me up here!

I am going to install tonight and check it out. Any particular class I should look at or stay away from?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I did but it was eons ago like when if first came out. I have played both horde and ally extensively and doesn't matter to me.
For Albion, a Paly would be a great starter. I always liked Alb, better exp spots, great solo classes and a pretty easy to remember map.

Youll either love it or hate it and youll reroll a bunch. Clerics are pretty fun, all the caster types are great

• 1Like

Pogi.G

For Albion, a Paly would be a great starter. I always liked Alb, better exp spots, great solo classes and a pretty easy to remember map.

Youll either love it or hate it and youll reroll a bunch. Clerics are pretty fun, all the caster types are great

Thanks! I will be checking it out late tonight.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Necro first character to fund your later characters is what I was thinking :D

My servant necro was actually sick on lord room busts/defense.

Those RRs in turn made him an even more disgusting aoe farm machine.

Last edited:

Pogi.G

Any tips on the resolution? I tried to up it to just 1280x1040 and it looked good except it was the size of a post-it-note.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's true. Every so often, I've seen the Mids form up though.

That being said, there's a job opening for zerg leaders.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This is for the official servers, but no real good spot to post it

They've announce an upcoming "event server", no real details as of yet

Friends, players, realm-mates – lend me your eyes! What follows is an update on how Dark Age of Camelot is faring, and the updates you may expect, and it begins with communication.

You, the greatest community that ever was or will be, have sustained DAoC for 20 incredible years. I recall celebrating DAoC’s 5, 10, and 15-year milestones, and the one constant through it all has been our sentiment that we owe Camelot’s expectation-shattering longevity and success to you - and that we the devs are immeasurably grateful for your loyalty and your trust.

Dark Age of Camelot has certainly undergone its share of changes, and one needs only examine the stratified layers of its evolution to understand the nuance and complexity of the game. It is that complexity that draws in players who appreciate engaging in and mastering the RvR dynamic that has set DAoC apart from all other PvP MMOs.

After 20 years in operation quite a few original features have evolved, yet the beating heart of what makes DAoC so special has remained largely unchanged - three realms engaging in fierce RvR battles for pride, for glory, and domination of the Frontiers. We intend to preserve foundational RvR elements as well as to protect and respect the progress that so many have made since October 2001. Players and guilds from Camelot’s original game servers transferred to Ywain and re-formed to carry forward their progress, maintain their comradery, and to continue to fight in service of their realm. We will continue to update Ywain with class balance modifications, RvR changes, and quality of life improvements - but this is not our exclusive direction.

The core of Dark Age of Camelot is powerful and timeless. The experience of three-realm RvR can - and has - succeeded in a number of different dynamics. You need look no further than the legendary PvP combat on Andred and Mordred or the immense Battlegroup PvE encounters on Gaheris to agree that there are yet more possibilities ahead.

In this spirit, we have been working on a new server type. It wouldn’t be precisely accurate to call it an ‘Event Server’, though in some ways it can be thought of in that way. The scope and scale of the content will be larger, and access to the dynamics of the new server will be available for longer periods than our typical events or campaigns on Ywain. Simply put, we will provide the opportunity to start your journey on a level playing field, to focus on (or remove) specific expansion content and have wholly new and very exciting objectives!

This is our goal, and I hope it’s enough (for now) to know that we’ve made a solid beginning toward achieving that goal. Trust me, old friends, when I tell you that we’re aware that you are itching to know more – I certainly cannot wait to share more with you! Until that time, however, it is my fervent hope that we may rely on the trust and good faith with which you have honored us for so long. I will be providing regular updates here on the Camelot Herald, in our monthly Newsletters - and you can catch us lurking in our official Discord channel!

With the utmost sincerity and gratitude, the team here at Broadsword thanks you for being a part of this community, and we are looking forward to yet another chapter in the history of our beloved Dark Age of Camelot.

Faithfully yours,
Eldariian

• 1Weird Boner

Janx

<Silver Donator>
This is for the official servers, but no real good spot to post it

They've announce an upcoming "event server", no real details as of yet

Friends, players, realm-mates – lend me your eyes! What follows is an update on how Dark Age of Camelot is faring, and the updates you may expect, and it begins with communication.

You, the greatest community that ever was or will be, have sustained DAoC for 20 incredible years. I recall celebrating DAoC’s 5, 10, and 15-year milestones, and the one constant through it all has been our sentiment that we owe Camelot’s expectation-shattering longevity and success to you - and that we the devs are immeasurably grateful for your loyalty and your trust.

Dark Age of Camelot has certainly undergone its share of changes, and one needs only examine the stratified layers of its evolution to understand the nuance and complexity of the game. It is that complexity that draws in players who appreciate engaging in and mastering the RvR dynamic that has set DAoC apart from all other PvP MMOs.

After 20 years in operation quite a few original features have evolved, yet the beating heart of what makes DAoC so special has remained largely unchanged - three realms engaging in fierce RvR battles for pride, for glory, and domination of the Frontiers. We intend to preserve foundational RvR elements as well as to protect and respect the progress that so many have made since October 2001. Players and guilds from Camelot’s original game servers transferred to Ywain and re-formed to carry forward their progress, maintain their comradery, and to continue to fight in service of their realm. We will continue to update Ywain with class balance modifications, RvR changes, and quality of life improvements - but this is not our exclusive direction.

The core of Dark Age of Camelot is powerful and timeless. The experience of three-realm RvR can - and has - succeeded in a number of different dynamics. You need look no further than the legendary PvP combat on Andred and Mordred or the immense Battlegroup PvE encounters on Gaheris to agree that there are yet more possibilities ahead.

In this spirit, we have been working on a new server type. It wouldn’t be precisely accurate to call it an ‘Event Server’, though in some ways it can be thought of in that way. The scope and scale of the content will be larger, and access to the dynamics of the new server will be available for longer periods than our typical events or campaigns on Ywain. Simply put, we will provide the opportunity to start your journey on a level playing field, to focus on (or remove) specific expansion content and have wholly new and very exciting objectives!

This is our goal, and I hope it’s enough (for now) to know that we’ve made a solid beginning toward achieving that goal. Trust me, old friends, when I tell you that we’re aware that you are itching to know more – I certainly cannot wait to share more with you! Until that time, however, it is my fervent hope that we may rely on the trust and good faith with which you have honored us for so long. I will be providing regular updates here on the Camelot Herald, in our monthly Newsletters - and you can catch us lurking in our official Discord channel!

With the utmost sincerity and gratitude, the team here at Broadsword thanks you for being a part of this community, and we are looking forward to yet another chapter in the history of our beloved Dark Age of Camelot.

Faithfully yours,
Eldariian
DAOC is one of those games where, as long as the server is populated, I could spend an insane amount of time just in the BGs. Thid was so damn fun.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol I was testing my new computer out and I had a flashback to when computers actually had spinning bits of metal in them.

I distinctly remember when my computer would load up an incoming zerg of 200 hibs or albs and it would vibrate my whole desk.

*crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcruch*

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
lol I was testing my new computer out and I had a flashback to when computers actually had spinning bits of metal in them.

I distinctly remember when my computer would load up an incoming zerg of 200 hibs or albs and it would vibrate my whole desk.

*crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchchonkcrunchcrunchcruch*
Loved that little hitch when players in range would load to let you know someone was in the area.