Pick My Last Charity for the Year

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Another vote for Child's Play and/or Make a Wish. They are two of the ones I donate to yearly. Plus it's nice that my company matches my donations dollar to dollar up to $15k.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
American Cancer Society. Because Cancer can go fuck itself in the ass until dead. With 50% of the population destined to die in a horribly painful and humiliating way, and having had to watch three family members die from it, this is the only charity for me.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My favorite is a local one, Spring Assistance Ministries.

Next 2 are Texas Children's Hospital, and St Jude's Children's hopsital.

Though, I like the make a wish idea a lot.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
American Cancer Society. Because Cancer can go fuck itself in the ass until dead. With 50% of the population destined to die in a horribly painful and humiliating way, and having had to watch three family members die from it, this is the only charity for me.
Do they use the funds for cancer research? I was under the impression that much of it was spent on cancer awareness, which is really just another way of saying fundraising.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Do they use the funds for cancer research? I was under the impression that much of it was spent on cancer awareness, which is really just another way of saying fundraising.
Yes, 160 million last year towards research according to their site, but they also provide services like driving people to/from chemo. To be more accurate, I rotate each year between the American Cancer Society and the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation, but posting the latter obviously would have very limited appeal.. Bottom line, choose whatever form of Cancer has stolen a loved one from you, and donate to the specific org, or just give to the general ACF. Either way, you are putting money towards eliminating Cancer, which can again go fuck itself.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
What Percentage of Donations Go to Charity

I try to check a charity out first and see how much of your donation is spent in overhead expenses. ACS uses about 30%. Bigger charities will have higher operating costs, but that's pretty excessive.
I don't know about ACS, but I do want to point out a major issue with overhead expenses as a metric for good performance. Basically, testing whether your programs work (impact evaluations) are counted as overhead expenses. So a charity that gives $97 out of $100 to someone in a developing country, leading to an increase in income of $90 would rate higher than a charity that gives $80 out of $100 but increases income by $160 -- even though the former organization essentially just destroys wealth.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
There are several organizations that use donated money to smuggle north Koreans out of the country and to South Korea or elsewhere. Last estimate I saw, about $5000 can literally free a single human being. I haven't researched much into individual charities and forget the names, but I've never seen a better cause for money

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't know about ACS, but I do want to point out a major issue with overhead expenses as a metric for good performance. Basically, testing whether your programs work (impact evaluations) are counted as overhead expenses. So a charity that gives $97 out of $100 to someone in a developing country, leading to an increase in income of $90 would rate higher than a charity that gives $80 out of $100 but increases income by $160 -- even though the former organization essentially just destroys wealth.
Sounds like we're talking about the same thing, except that you believe the made up numbers the high paid slickster came up with to justify his salary.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
If you have a "teens count too" I'm your area I would recommend it. Lots of stuff going on for the small kids in need but often underprivileged teens often get overlooked.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
There are several organizations that use donated money to smuggle north Koreans out of the country and to South Korea or elsewhere. Last estimate I saw, about $5000 can literally free a single human being. I haven't researched much into individual charities and forget the names, but I've never seen a better cause for money