Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You...youdoknow you have to do something first before the named characters unlock for recruitment, right?

e: Fedora spotted
eJg6Xps.png
I have gone in every building, exhausted every dialogue option and killed anything and everything in every map unlocked for me. The Kolsc dude is like "yea man, thanks!" and all the other NPCs are like "Raedric evil? well like, that's just your opinion man why'd u shank him bro?"

But yep Eder keeps saying "lol welcome to our shitty town dude" while the guys behind him are pulling corpses out of the big tree. I've tried resting over and over in the inn, outside the inn, near other campsites, etc. Doesn't work. I've completed every side quest. On a whim, I also went back to each map and tried to exit at every exit point... Nope.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well, I know that I forgot to talk to the corpse in the tree once and couldn't figure out briefly that that is required to activate Eder (and I assume others). You did that part already?

If so, yeah, the quest just didn't advance after talking to her. Might want to try using a console command then to advance the quest.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You mean the glowing purple animancer dwarf that lackey dude said was killed right before you enter town? Yea, tried immediately, after Eder just starts repeating himself, after clearing that fallen temple dungeon in town (figured evil spirits or some shit) and finally after Raedric. Problem is after Raedric the npc is gone, just glowing purple effect where the corpse was... Didn't advance anything any of the times.

I guess I'll look up console commands later, I'm stuck unable to pick up Eder in all 3 games.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The sequence should go

1) Enter town
2) See Aloh in front of inn, recruit him
3) Go into inn, rest, talk to eder, then go run underneath the tree and you suck her spirit or whatever and start talking
4) Then you can recruit eder

Really nothing else to it, so if you did all that.

Console Commands for Pillars of Eternitytalks about the console commands and has a section on advancing quests.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea isn't there supposed to be a vision thing in the inn? Never happens to my chars.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Forgive me if I'm sounding like I'm insulting your intelligence, because I'm not, I'm just trying to help, and it isn't specifically spelled out in anything you typed above. I'm sure you've done it, but as a last straw effort I thought I'd mention it. When resting in the inn, you're resting via actually "buying" a room, right? Not just plopping down your own campsite, but actually using the 0cp room?

As I said, you've probably already done it, but it is the only thing I could think of that *might* be the cause.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Going for the triple crown achievement, I don't think ranger is the way to go as my pet dies too fast. Was hoping scrolls would take up the slack but not so much. Will try Chanter or Cipher next.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Gonna go melee barb glass cannon dual wield for POTD, just to make it as hard as possible. Can't decide on fire godlike or human for race.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Forgive me if I'm sounding like I'm insulting your intelligence, because I'm not, I'm just trying to help, and it isn't specifically spelled out in anything you typed above. I'm sure you've done it, but as a last straw effort I thought I'd mention it. When resting in the inn, you're resting via actually "buying" a room, right? Not just plopping down your own campsite, but actually using the 0cp room?

As I said, you've probably already done it, but it is the only thing I could think of that *might* be the cause.
Yes, and both types of buff rooms for cp.

I mean, it's not like there's a huge amount of things to try in just the first town.

I even tried going back in and stealing from the smith so I could murder everyone lol.

Caliane

Yes, and both types of buff rooms for cp.

I mean, it's not like there's a huge amount of things to try in just the first town.

I even tried going back in and stealing from the smith so I could murder everyone lol.
one last question.

did you try turning it of and on again?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Either you didn't play it... or have a terrible memory.
iI4fues.jpg

My first char was definitely broken. I started a summoner. Having to summon, and resummon minons every single map, as wolves jumped on top of me over and over...

Then, about 1/3rd of the way through he game or so. in the major city, I started to notice something was wrong. I was getting weaker and weaker.
oh, when a summon kills an npc, you the player gets no experience. I was 4 levels below where I was supposed to be. Started leveling death magic. and suddenly level 1 death magic was killing the crap out of everything.

PS. I swapped to hard, and still find wand+blast to be super effective. Now, this is not a solo build. its a ranged aoe dps build. so needs a tank for you. And honestly, letting others debuff for you too is ideal.
But early game, as noted. you have arcane assault x4 with Aloth, which wrecks the shadows. its short range can be dangerous, so make sure they are tanked/distracted well.
Chillwind is supergood then, and now still. that x2 is strong. or that on YOU with your might, with Aloth doing slicken. again his low might lets him do CC wiz spells while you nuke/wand. the interrupt.
level 2 wiz spells. meh. A combusting wounds perhaps. aoe is small though. it would add to the wands nukes though. necrotic lance good. aoe confuse good.
level 3 wiz spells. the cake. Expose Vul. (admittedly, not 100% sure on how -Dr stacks works from sources. but almost certainly worth it.) again, have aloth cast it. Kalakoths minor blights. THIS is your spell. fireball is of course good too for nuking.

"effects: caster-until the weapon is changed for 60s.
So, this applies to wand/etc. The aoe damage you throw out with blast and this is crazy. Especially one a good fast wand. and with ila chant.
Heck, you might even consider improved implments, for +25% wand/sceptor damage. or other marksman +accuracy, etc.

Now granted, this is for AOE. single target, you'll want a standard nuke. or possible weapon swap to something with one hit damage. adventurer is +6 acc to wands and warbows.
Yeah Arcanum was super broken when it comes to character design, but that's not a bug (other than maybe the summons not giving XP? Could have been intentional - certainly no more retarded than having to run back to town every 2 - 4 times you rest, and apparently some of the same people worked on both games, so...), just really shitty imbalances in the character design. Everything was too powerful (nuke casters), too weak (tech characters) or too boring (melee/ranged characters), which was a shame, they had a great magic system (if the nukes weren't so OP that mages raped every fight in 5 seconds and didn't get a chance to utilize the other spells), the tech stuff could have been really interesting if it had been viable (instead of having to spend hours crafting to achieve expendable items which granted weaker effects than a spell a wizard could throw out non-stop with mana pots), and the whole magic v. technology thing was interesting, (loved being told I couldn't board the train because I was too powerful a wizard and would break it) as was the open world exploration (I got to level 50 and never advanced past the dwarven mines part of the storyline, but in the end I got bored because every fight was over in like 5 seconds of spamming fireballs).

Appreciate the input for PoE, but it's lost me. Might try again in 6 months, especially if all the ridiculous overscored reviews raked it in enough cash for an xpac.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm level 8 and the only bug I encountered (pre patch) is the Ranger pet death debuff sticking until I swap them out and back in to the party.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Yeah Arcanum was super broken when it comes to character design, but that's not a bug (other than maybe the summons not giving XP? Could have been intentional - certainly no more retarded than having to run back to town every 2 - 4 times you rest, and apparently some of the same people worked on both games, so...), just really shitty imbalances in the character design. Everything was too powerful (nuke casters), too weak (tech characters) or too boring (melee/ranged characters), which was a shame, they had a great magic system (if the nukes weren't so OP that mages raped every fight in 5 seconds and didn't get a chance to utilize the other spells), the tech stuff could have been really interesting if it had been viable (instead of having to spend hours crafting to achieve expendable items which granted weaker effects than a spell a wizard could throw out non-stop with mana pots), and the whole magic v. technology thing was interesting, (loved being told I couldn't board the train because I was too powerful a wizard and would break it) as was the open world exploration (I got to level 50 and never advanced past the dwarven mines part of the storyline, but in the end I got bored because every fight was over in like 5 seconds of spamming fireballs).

Appreciate the input for PoE, but it's lost me. Might try again in 6 months, especially if all the ridiculous overscored reviews raked it in enough cash for an xpac.
I get that it's not your cup of tea but it's good shit. Your failure to acknowledge that isn't really relevant to the discussion, as almost everyone who has tried it has really loved it. Just in my circle of friends it's 4 for 4 and there's one guy who doesn't even play CRPGs(wouldn't even play divinity) and he's got like 25 hours into it already. I've certainly got more fun out of it than any other game that's come out this year.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I get that it's not your cup of tea but it's good shit. Your failure to acknowledge that isn't really relevant to the discussion, as almost everyone who has tried it has really loved it. Just in my circle of friends it's 4 for 4 and there's one guy who doesn't even play CRPGs(wouldn't even play divinity) and he's got like 25 hours into it already. I've certainly got more fun out of it than any other game that's come out this year.
I'm just disappointed because while it might not be my cup of tea, it was sold as my favorite flavor and everyone keeps insisting it's the best tea in the universe.

When I don't like a game I generally just don't bother spending energy talking about it, but this is a game where I fall right into the target demographic, one I was really looking forward to, one I purchased based on the absurdly high review scores (although they've started dropping down to something a bit more realistic, which I think backs up my assertion that the high reviews were primarily from kickstarter contributors who aren't exactly the most unbiased opinions), and one I really tried to enjoy... but I didn't.

Maybe I could accept an otherwise good game that was bug riddled, maybe I could put up with a game which made some really bad design decisions but was otherwise a smooth and immersive experience if you played around them (Arcanum being a good example - the skill system was totally screwed up, but you could still have fun if you played one of the viable builds, likewise I could probably just play PoE and avoid classes heavy on per-rest skills, even if they are my favorite classes), but a combination of the bugginess, the bad design decisions (which seem really arbitrary and not very well thought out), the aesthetic problems and the 'just clunky enough to make combat a little awkward' gameplay tumbles together and kills the whole thing. If a combination of patches and mods fixes these things in the future I'll take another crack at it, but for now it's not so much Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor as much as it's younger cousin from the weird side of the family born with fetal alcohol syndrome. And that's the last I have to say about the game for now. I'll check in in a few months.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
Maybe I've been lucky with bugs. The only one I've really had is some minor UI htings that were easily resolved.

I guess I'm almost finished now. I really liked the Thaos storyline, but the combat gets a bit boring. I'd like to see the end, but don't really want to do any more combat.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
certainly no more retarded than having to run back to town every 2 - 4 times you rest
Massive fail in the games design for me. Doesn't make the game any harder, just more of a ball ache knowing that if you use it up you have to head back to replen. Never had to but it promotes shitty game play.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The only bug I have is with pathing.

Melee dagger cipher goes well. I gave him eders armor and dropped plate on eder and my 100% defensive paladin. The paladin is at 81 def with a hatchet/shield and plate armor. I picked up that chanter at the stronghold. I dropped my ranger for him. Rangers kinda stink...bows are just...bad.

Caliane

Yeah, I don't entirely understand the resting and time mechanic.
There IS an achievement for only resting 10 times before beating the game.. No time based one, but again, I suppose you could use the time mechanic for your own "personal" challenge, beat the game in a week or month or something..

But more or less both resting and time passing, are features which seem to have no real effect beyond flavor. all features cost money and time... so... why?
Like, normal-expert. 4 supplies is reduced to 2 camp supplies. why? there is no penalty for simply LEAVING, and going back to an inn. what does that do, other then add tedium?

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah, I don't entirely understand the resting and time mechanic.
There IS an achievement for only resting 10 times before beating the game.. No time based one, but again, I suppose you could use the time mechanic for your own "personal" challenge, beat the game in a week or month or something..

But more or less both resting and time passing, are features which seem to have no real effect beyond flavor. all features cost money and time... so... why?
Like, normal-expert. 4 supplies is reduced to 2 camp supplies. why? there is no penalty for simply LEAVING, and going back to an inn. what does that do, other then add tedium?
I used to enjoy the 'old school' way it was handled -- if you rest, there is a random chance of getting jumped by monsters. Does a good job of deterring resting after every fight, but at the same time does not have the tedium of running back for camping supplies. The model they are using for PoE is (somewhat) in Darkest Dungeon too, but if you leave the dungeon in that one you fail the mission so it makes sense in that model... in PoE, it is just a time sink.