Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Polygon just broke the announcement embargo date for PoE 2 by posting their article early.

fDQQ9kv.png

sxaqnm9.png

VUfK62b.png

9tLQvtV.png

81Dta6f.png

StphJG0.png

1J9DEWw.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Del

Vyemm Raider
Backed the first game and I'll back this too.

Looks like they've already met their initial goal.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I should get the first one...

Once it's on sale low enough. Some companies getting really stingy with sale prices recently. I've NEVER seen Kerbal below $28.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
60% off the game and 50% off the expansion pass is about as low as it gets from legit stores. That's what it's currently going for at GOG.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
60% off the game and 50% off the expansion pass is about as low as it gets from legit stores. That's what it's currently going for at GOG.
Well fuck me then, I have the base game on steam, but there's no sale there and obviously DLC from gog won't work. Might have to rebuy it :-/

Caliane

FIG. no thanks.

should also be noted. this game is already funded. As in, it was funded privately/producers, and they are just asking for crowdfunding as essentially pre-orders.
And, these preorders are "enabling" extra dlc. Also with FIG yes, you can totally be an investor in the worst investment imaginable.

I think I would need to check out Tyranny to see if any of the base mechanics were fixed to jump on Pillars2. I also, did not even come close to finishing it.
no, Avellone here either.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Played and finished PoE, it was awesome. Played and finished Tyranny, it was awesome. Backed/preordered this one too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
FIG. no thanks.

I enjoyed both PoE and Tyranny enough that this will probably be a day one buy for me but you are 100% right about Fig. I won't be touching that crowdfunding site no matter how much I think I want a game.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
PoE was great, really hit the Baldur's Gate 2 notes I've been missing for a decade.

My one complaint was that on anything other than normal or easy I found it damn near impossible to be successful with the stock NPCs. I don't mind rolling my own but not at the expense of the well written backstory they had for most of the NPCs. Even on normal it was damned hard to get through with most of the NPCs.

iannis

Musty Nester
Without avallone I just didn't feel it.

Something was missing in poe 1. It almost gelled for me, but didn't. And I think it was office politics with avallone.

I also felt like they sniffed on landscape.

It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't quite as good as I felt it should have been. This is obsidian after all. Unfortunately I do have a raised expectation for their games. I would have said it was fair to good for anyone not named obsidian, but for these guys it felt mediocre. Maybe that's not fair, but damned by their own success and all that.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
First time I've heard of Fig. Anyone know how this site doesn't get curb stomped by the FTC, SEC and/or accredited investor laws?

edit -- nevermind - seems super gray zone and I'd imagine they're going to get shut down after enough idiots cry about losing their money.

Literally anyone can invest in Fig's next game

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
First time I've heard of Fig. Anyone know how this site doesn't get curb stomped by the FTC, SEC and/or accredited investor laws?

edit -- nevermind - seems super gray zone and I'd imagine they're going to get shut down soon:

Literally anyone can invest in Fig's next game

Someone ran the numbers they were offering "Investors" for the Psychonauts 2 campaign and it was a complete scam. The game would have to sell unrealistic numbers before you would even begin to see a return on your investment.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Unless the game is called GTA 6, I don't see why anyone would care about investing. I'm just pledging so I can get my cheap day 1 copy.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Apparently you break even at 600k copies of PoE2 sold, which sounds easy enough, but it still sounds iffy. Is it across all platforms ? How do sales factor into this ?

Basically it's easier to throw your money into bitcoins if you want to invest into something risky.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Without avallone I just didn't feel it.

Something was missing in poe 1. It almost gelled for me, but didn't. And I think it was office politics with avallone.

I also felt like they sniffed on landscape.

It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't quite as good as I felt it should have been. This is obsidian after all. Unfortunately I do have a raised expectation for their games. I would have said it was fair to good for anyone not named obsidian, but for these guys it felt mediocre. Maybe that's not fair, but damned by their own success and all that.

I can sympathize with that. Obsidian has made some of the best RPGs I've ever played. KOTOR 2, New Vegas, even South Park: Stick of Truth. New Vegas alone I put in almost as many hours as Morrowind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I received the e-mail to back 2 which made me realize I never claimed the original game. Claimed and installed and I like it.

I rolled a monk. Is that going to bite me in the ass later? He doesn't seem to be good at anything by lvl 4.

This is the first time I've played an isometric RPG in a looooong time.

Caliane

Apparently you break even at 600k copies of PoE2 sold, which sounds easy enough, but it still sounds iffy. Is it across all platforms ? How do sales factor into this ?

Basically it's easier to throw your money into bitcoins if you want to invest into something risky.
Pillars1 has 950k owners on steam. Tyranny has 140k.
I'm only actually seeing 500k PoE1 sales reported (oct 2015). (700k as of Feb 2016, with White march expac.)
but steamspy is listing the 950k owners.
So, full price, vs 2 years of sales possibly.

600k is not as easy as you think, imho.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Pillars1 has 950k owners on steam. Tyranny has 140k.
I'm only actually seeing 500k PoE1 sales reported (oct 2015). (700k as of Feb 2016, with White march expac.)
but steamspy is listing the 950k owners.
So, full price, vs 2 years of sales possibly.

600k is not as easy as you think, imho.
Typically sequels tend to sell a little bit better, but yeah, originally I felt 600k would be an easy target, but this says you will probably break even and not much more.