Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
When I first played this game, I did so with an HDD. It was brutal. Particularly in the later acts of the game, where you get many, many fetch and investigation quests that require you to go three or four screens away, then back again. 10-12 second load times for each screen.

On my SSD, the times are down to 4-5 seconds, which is still obnoxious, given how small some of the areas being loaded, but it was slightly more tolerable.
Don't know how you had them down to so little, I played on SSD too(I play everything on SSD really) and it was still about 8-12secs for even the smallest loading, and sometimes close to 20secs for the larger areas. It was really really shit as I mentionned in my post.

That said from what I've heard about the PoE2: Deadfire backer beta, the loadings are a lot better in that. Like 1-3secs like you'd expect from this type of game, none of this retarded 10secs shit. And the game looks a ton better at the same time so that's pretty great.

Another great thing they've added in Deadfire that was annoying in PoE1 is AI scripting. It uses a system similar to FF12 or Dragon Age where you can setup your script for each character, with like cast this if affected by that, use this at <30%health, cast this otherwise, cast this unless that and so on, so it'll make a lot of the minor fights a lot more fluid I think. In the first game you can only set it as like aggressive/defensive or whatever and it uses arbitrary skills sometimes and it's basically useless. Having to recast all the same priest and mage buffs every fight in the same order was annoying as shit.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Seems the streamer cohhcarnage is getting his hands on an early pre-release, and is gonna start streaming the full game on Friday for a full playthrough. Looks really interesting, with no more resting for spells, no two different health pools, walking around on the map, boat stronghold, multi-classing, no stat boost suppression from different items. what's also pretty cool is that they seem to have planned the continuation of the story line early on in PoE 1.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
A bunch of other streamers are getting early access too I think in case you want someone else than Carnage. Probably not worth watching too much of this unless you want to skip playing the game though, most of the fun of RPGs is figuring out shit on your own and discovering the story as you go, at least imo. But can watch like first 30mins/1hour to get a taste for the game and see the differences between the backer beta build and the live build.

Game definitely looks good, I've made room for it, finished playing my longer stuff a few days ago and now just going through shorter games on my backlog so I have free time for when it releases.

Also you can get the game cheaper than on Steam if you're interested, various websites sell it for cheap. Legit ones too, stuff like Gamesbillet, Gamesplanet(has the best price from the UK website, depending on your currency conversion and penalties for using foreign currencies), Fanatical and Wingamestore. I'm sure there might be cheaper from shadier resellers but I mostly buy from these, they do good prices while still being official resellers. 40bucks or so from these, which for a full new game is a solid price I think, especially if it's as long as the first one, you're looking at 50-60hours of gameplay.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
A bunch of other streamers are getting early access too I think in case you want someone else than Carnage. Probably not worth watching too much of this unless you want to skip playing the game though, most of the fun of RPGs is figuring out shit on your own and discovering the story as you go, at least imo. But can watch like first 30mins/1hour to get a taste for the game and see the differences between the backer beta build and the live build.

Game definitely looks good, I've made room for it, finished playing my longer stuff a few days ago and now just going through shorter games on my backlog so I have free time for when it releases.

Also you can get the game cheaper than on Steam if you're interested, various websites sell it for cheap. Legit ones too, stuff like Gamesbillet, Gamesplanet(has the best price from the UK website, depending on your currency conversion and penalties for using foreign currencies), Fanatical and Wingamestore. I'm sure there might be cheaper from shadier resellers but I mostly buy from these, they do good prices while still being official resellers. 40bucks or so from these, which for a full new game is a solid price I think, especially if it's as long as the first one, you're looking at 50-60hours of gameplay.

I think Carnage is actually gonna be the first of everyone to play it, others are coming in on Saturday. probably because he's been playing through POE1 the last couple of weeks.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think Carnage is actually gonna be the first of everyone to play it, others are coming in on Saturday. probably because he's been playing through POE1 the last couple of weeks.
Oh I guess that's possible yeah. I'll see if I watch that tomorrow, I think I remember being annoyed at one of his stream for something else before though, probably spends too much time reading chat while playing which I find really annoying when I'm mostly trying to watch a game being played, so many big streamers do this so I tend to not like most of them.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Cohh goes through the different classes and abilities. No spoilers except what you can pick to play.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
A more readable version btw:
They're also updated the fextralife wiki with it but it's kinda slow going and they have some random shit in there fucked up.
Also something I made from the various streams, companion locations, minor spoilers obviously:
  • Eder: Start of the game
  • Xoti: Port Maje, first island
  • Aloth: Engwithian Digsite, first island
  • Serafen: First time you use your ship
  • Tekehu: Watershaper guild, Periki Overlook in Nekataka
  • Maia: Palace, Serpent's Reach in Nekataka, after you talk with the Queen
  • Pallegina: Also palace but only in certain conditions? She's an emissary so it's possible she's only there if you resolve her quest in a way that she still works for the Brotherhood by obeying the orders she had or got pardonned. If she's part of Kind Wayfarers in your story, I'm not sure if she'll be there.
Sidekicks(no personnal quest, no relationship, just voiced mercenaries you don't get to customize basically)
  • Fassina: The Dark Cupboard, Periki's Overlook in Nekataka
  • Konstanten: The Wild Mare, Queen's Berth(I think) in Nekataka
  • Rekke: Stranded at sea, might be random? Streamer found him along the eastern limit of the map, about in the middle
  • Ydwin is missing, no idea where
Companions are basically along the critical path main quests that you get very early, while sidekicks are less obvious. You can get all the companions and these sidekicks within the first couple of hours or whatever, as long as you don't go sidequesting right as you get your boat.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Might need to pick this up today.

There are some really fascinating subclasses this time around. I played Bleak Walker in the first one but even that is very revamped as far as I can tell. So far I like the Transmuter Wizard but it may be a gimped version of a Shifter because you can't actually cast any of the better spells... IDK yet. Corpse Eater Barbarian, Bleak Walker, Junkie Monk (lol)... will take me some time to decide!

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I realized last night I had never actually finished the final battle in the original... Was not expecting the ending that I got and also did not realize the extent to which my decisions would impact the world. Not sure if I want to import into the sequel given the sad state of affairs.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played through PoE and I thought the story was boring and over the top silly, and that there was faaaar too much text to read. I enjoyed Baldur's gate and all of its text and dialogue, but it felt like PoE was ten times as much to read. Anyone else felt the same? Will this be a novel as well?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I played through PoE and I thought the story was boring and over the top silly, and that there was faaaar too much text to read. I enjoyed Baldur's gate and all of its text and dialogue, but it felt like PoE was ten times as much to read. Anyone else felt the same? Will this be a novel as well?

I felt the same. I liked the game a lot but the story was whatever and it had a lot of things that bothered me. I still liked the game, I am hoping that PoE2 is the same gap that BGII was from BGI. I thought BGI was just a good game. While BGII retains its crown as my favorite game of all time. Watching that video they've increased the class complexity a lot and a lot of other stuff. Already bought and pre-loaded! The PoE story was decnt about half way through. But the first half of it was very meh to me.

That being said. Multi-classing THEORYCRAFTING GUYS?

I want to multiclass the junkie monk with something. Idea to go for a class that just destroys shit while high on drugs. That sounds hysterical and fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

One of the thing I've read is that they streamlined the quest text, so there should be less to read, the same person also mentioned that the side quests were more interesting.

Rime

<Donor>
Said this before, will say it again - The Winter March (PoE DLC) was a SIGNIFICANTLY better story than the base game.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Only got like three hours in to the first one (got distracted by some other games and never came back to it). Is this one of those need to play the first because a whole bunch of choices carry over in to the second things?

Needless

Toe Sucker
I really need to go back and finish PoE1, game was sweet but i gave up on an optional quest i think for no reason lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Only got like three hours in to the first one (got distracted by some other games and never came back to it). Is this one of those need to play the first because a whole bunch of choices carry over in to the second things?
Kinda? You could potentially ignore it and still play but some stuff isn't going to make much sense, it is a sequel that lets you import your save game to define the world state so your choices affect stuff in the 2nd game.

You could read up on the first one/watch a video and just go from there though.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
About 2 hours in, all I can say, is character creation is fun since that's about all I did so far. :)