Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Some people really dislike D:OS2 combat and how it works though, it plays very much like a strategy RPG more than a traditional CRPG. I think it's better too, but this one is enjoyable, better than the first one, stuff feels more responsive and you can interupt on purpose and stuff like that.

I've played a bunch but haven't progressed much, I rushed to the capital to get all the companions going as usual so now I'm working through the capital and I hate those super super large cities in RPGs, takes fucking forever to do everything. I think I spent 4hours in Queen's Berth only. Hopefully the other areas are shorter or have more combat as I've had to fight like once in that time. At least I kinda like the setting and the different factions seem like they actually matter this time, we'll see if they will later on.

Rime

<Donor>
Also - Play the game on Hard if you want a 'normal' experience. Normal does not seem that difficult at all. Even with level scaling.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also - Play the game on Hard if you want a 'normal' experience. Normal does not seem that difficult at all. Even with level scaling.

By Hard do you mean the one before the Pillars of the Damned mode?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
How feasible to play this as a solo party or max duo on a difficulty that won't put me to sleep? Never played part 1, but I have beaten pretty much all the other popular RPGs in this genre in this manner with the difficulty ramped up.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How feasible to play this as a solo party or max duo on a difficulty that won't put me to sleep? Never played part 1, but I have beaten pretty much all the other popular RPGs in this genre in this manner with the difficulty ramped up.

Dunno enough about this game yet but to solo BG2 back in the day you had to get extremely creative.

Rime

<Donor>
Some encounters will be very, very difficult solo/duo. Simply because there are 8+ enemies attacking you at once and they often have many of the same gap-closing attacks that characters have. So they tend to get spread out all over the place. It is possible and there is an achievement for it, I believe.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So are the companions once again designed by someone (Sawyer IIRC) who went in and looked at what the bare minimum for each class' primary stats were, then subtracted 1-2 from that just to make them as shitty as possible at their role?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You'll definitely be able to, but for a first playthrough it'd be really rough. A lot of what makes these runs doable later down the road is when people figure out where the strong items are, beeline to them, do non combat quests to grind some levels, and then just fuck shit up. But for a first blind run, it doesn't seem super realistic. I mean it could be doable, would need to work some strong builds, with multiclassing I assume it's definitely something that can be done, I just don't know what kind of setup or how difficult it'd be really.

So are the companions once again designed by someone (Sawyer IIRC) who went in and looked at what the bare minimum for each class' primary stats were, then subtracted 1-2 from that just to make them as shitty as possible at their role?
They have fairly average stats in everything like the first game yeah. If you want to min max you can play with mercs but it's not like you can't play the game with companions fine, it's not THAT hard. Just your damage output tends to be lower but everyone is kinda tankier than a min max group. Doesn't make such a big difference tbh, especially since now stats can scale a lot higher(like 30-35 maybe with all buffs), so the difference between 13might and 18might is not that big relatively.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I've only looked at Xoti so far. But Xoti's unique classes are bizarre. To say the least. The Priest one is fine but the monk one is.... what? lol

Pyros Pyros did you ever do a solo Sword Saint/Wizard combo, Shifter Druid subclass, or Berserker playthrough in Baldur's Gate II? I wonder if it would hit the crucial powerpoint in this game. Solo devout weapon fighter + wizard. Get to the point where you stop time then slice everyone up with haste.

God damn awesome.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Pretty positive review overall, but not enough to force myself to play through a game I strongly disliked just to get into the sequel right away.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Pretty positive review overall, but not enough to force myself to play through a game I strongly disliked just to get into the sequel right away.

TBH the story is engaging even if you didn't play the first game.

TL;DP: You are the, "chosen one" through some fate bullshit trickery and must stop the hollowcurse crisis. Through this you find out that the ancient empire civilization came the conclusion that Gods did not exist. Or if they did, they'd long since abandoned Creation. In order to stop their constant relgious based wars on Gods they knew for a fact were totally made up. They researched a kind of science called Animancy that dealt with the nature of souls and lives, etc. Because Watchers existed from time to time who could see a person's previous reincarnations. Anyway, through the power of animancy and mass sacrifice they create artificial Gods. But they still have crazy powers but give a focal point for people to actually believe in and stop all of the dumb strife.

Thousands of years later there is a continuous conspiracy by an immortal guy to keep any modern society from realizing that the Gods are artificial. This was the story and you either helped or didn't. Whatever.

This Game: One of the God's thought dead (part of the first game's backstory) has come back and taken over a massive statue and is walking around some islands. The Gods as they exist can't intervene directly because materializing in the mortal realm creates a lot of problems they'd rather avoid. So it's back on you boy. Buckle up!

That's about it.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the responses. Will give it a couple of weeks when the wiki is a bit more fleshed out and I can check out builds/synergies. The divinity series spoiled me with Lone Wolf and easy to control battlefields.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Am I the only find8ng the ship combat absolutely awful?

I hope there isn’t much of it because I really hate that shit, almost gamebreaking to be honest.

Rime

<Donor>
Ship combat is really boring. Options are to either do the stupid minigame or ram them (ship+crew are injured) and then fight on decks.

Then again, I imported my save, so I am a Shieldbearer Paladin. Maybe if I could be a bloody pirate, it would be more fun.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Am I the only find8ng the ship combat absolutely awful?

I hope there isn’t much of it because I really hate that shit, almost gamebreaking to be honest.

I kind of dig it, we will see what higher level ships and 20 hours later turns into though.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The enemy ship combat AI feels kind of dumb/random, some weird decisions made there.

Pillars of eternity 1 and likely 2 is definitely solo-able, even on hardest, but as with BG, it requires quite a bit of detailed game knowledge or will take a long time to solo. There's no "solo option" like in Divinity OS 2 with the "lone wolf" option. It made soloing DOS2 on tactician doable on the first play through without too much difficulty. The game was designed for a party, but you can take advantage of AI, kiting etc. to make it work.

Divinity combat was alright, but really prefer pause-and-play, especially with the slow-motion option for difficult fights.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ship combat looks kinda whatever, I haven't done much of it though, I'm still trying to clear the capital city, shit's so fucking big. At least it got less boring in the district I'm in, lots of combat.

I feel I'm gonna have to respec my Cipher soon though, a lot of these spells I picked are a pain in the dick to use and I mostly rely on charm(rank1 spell) and some single target nuke. Those beam spells look good on paper but they're a fucking pain to use properly with engagement breaking issues and while I could use my rogue skill to teleport in the right spot, it feels like a waste of some precious rogue ressource I could use to smash some fuckers head in with the rogue OP full attacks. My "tank" Eder does so much damage with these.

But charm is borderline broken though, it's a rank1 spell so it only costs 10focus(start with 20 at my level, get like 20+ when I shoot something with my fast hunting bow) and basically charms something for ~30seconds which both disables it entirely and add some mediocre damage for me as well as additional targets to soak damage. Larger fights I just grab 3-4 fuckers and single target down the rest then kill the charmed fuckers one by one. I'm glad it's the spell I got at lvl 1, I thought maybe I'd end up regretting it cause I'd replace it with one of the stronger ones(dominate and then dominate+aoe charm) but the low cost makes it a keeper.

Anyway on ship combat stuff, I think once you have a bigger sip it won't be as much trouble, can probably one round smaller fuckers with good cannons and a ship with 4cannons per side. The good thing about the system is it seems there's no limit to the amount of ships you can encounter, so you can use it to farm money, which so far has been pretty sparse especially compared to the broken economy of the first one. And there's a fuckton of cool shit to buy in shops, some really strong ass items. I only grabbed some mechanics gloves and some stealth shoes so far but there's shit with like aura and special procs and what not, the legendary items are so much better in this game than in the first. Plus they all have unique upgrades too instead of the generic shit in the first game(get +20% damage as x type on everything, increase quality, maybe put some dwarf iron shit on it).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind the ship stuff. I've come the conclusion that the Corpse Eater Berserker subclass is pretty meh. Mainly because most of the time it is not needed. With my Nalpazca Monk/Corpse Eater combo. Drugs aren't always needed because of the Lesser Wounds passive. However, when you get Goldrot Chew (+3 might) or the one that converts hits to crits and with the addition of Alchemy they can last like 10 minutes or longer at a time and can go on some absolute rampages in dungeon crawls. Because of this, I'd say Nalpazca are superior to Helwalker.

But for Corpse Eater with various CC and Barbarian abilities you regen so much health and have such a huge HP pool that the Corpse Eating isn't even necessary and the penalty of +1 cost to any berserker skill is actually a huge detriment.

I'd honestly be happier with it if it had more insane dialogue options. The dialogue options are pretty good this time around. I do want to go make a merc whose a Fighter/Evoker wizard though that'd be pretty good I'd imagine.