Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The pirate minigame choose your adventure bullshit is terrible. Even though boarding wounds your crew something fierce for whatever reason. Makes me really dislike the boat shit in general.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
If you full speed ahead a few times you can get in range to board without injuries. That's what I do, just mash 1 until I get the board option.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I just board automatically. I can't stand the pain of pressing 1 over and over. Besides, fuck my virtual crew, bunch of nameless fodder.

Game way too easy. Thought it might get harder once I got out of the skeleton and xaurip zones. Nope - actually the opposite. Gonna have to download a mod to switch to PoD.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
That's what I was doing at first too but then I kept having mutinies and having to keelhaul people due to morale being stuck at 1. Having to go replace crew was slowing me down and costing too much $.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah. the no damage from boarding mod was the first one i looked for. i would love the setup for it if it wasn't so tedious. it's setup like it wants to be a choose your own adventure, but there's no adventure. it's like they wanted to have it be an RPG/tabletop type of minigame but without any of the benefits of tabletop. it'd be cool if there were random event type stuff, like your cannoneer crits and gains an extra 10% exp. your boatswain bolsters the crew and they are able to reload quicker... i know stuff falls apart when you don't have a full crew, but i'd like to see it in reverse. your crew is overly menacing and after a few rounds, the enemy mutinies and you can add some of their crew to yours. or even do like, heroic crewmembers where they start adding interesting perks. i haven't done much of it so maybe some of that is in there but it's just SOOOOOO tedious that i'll never find out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
I killed every ship in the game. The only 'non-standard' things that ever happened were ships losing some of their cargo/going overboard, or the mini-events that happen when you hit the ship - Sails Damaged, Ship Flooding, Fire, etc.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Finished the game. Felt overall pretty lackluster, the final boss fight didn't really have any build-up and just felt like an obstacle more than an amazing finale. I can only agree with what most people have already said, the game seemed shorter than the first one, and just too easy. The writing, the dialogue options being mostly snide/wise-cracking remarks, and the characters were pretty mediocre. The characters in POE1 were way more fleshed out, and their stories more engaging and emotional, like Durance, Grieving mother, or Zauha. Hopefully, expansions/DLCs will improve on everything.

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Fun game. Highly recommend multiclasses. I have been playing with Assassin-Cipher and its quite a bit of fun. I made Xoti a Monk / Priest and its very handy combo.

It is an easy game even playing on PotD with some big fights that provide some challenge.

Wish there were bigger dungeon crawls, seems they spent a ton of time on the ocean open world stuff, which was cool but need more dungeons !! maybe DLC ?

• 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone help me figure out how to change difficulty to POD? I downloaded the unity console mod and it is working fine (I get the option to enable cheats) but I've no idea: 1) what to type in order to increase difficulty to POD, and 2) where the fuck to type it. I feel a bit retarded but thanks in advance.

Note that the only other difficulty mod I've seen is user-generated and I'd rather just play on the standard POD difficulty if possible. Thanks fellows!

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just finished it last night. Overall, I loved it. Granted, it had some real problems that have already been covered in this thread. My biggest complaint is that some aspects of the game just felt mailed in when compared to the rest of it.

I tried to extend the experience by doing every quest I could find and I hit 20 (level cap) long before I finished the game with an empty quest log.

A part of me wishes I would have waited for the major patch planned that will address many of the common complaints, but it was worth the money. Very few games are able to keep my attention start to finish.

Question to those of you who have finished it: What was your ending like?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I sided with the Vaillians. Blew up the brass citadel. Huana queen immediately assumed it was the vaillians, summoned me to testify against them. She asked "did you witness the explosion at the brass citadel?" i replied "witness it? I lit the fuse!". Brass citadel and huana factions both attached me immediately. I sailed to Okaizu, smashed a bunch of principi ships on the way, animancers teleported me through the storm. Killed the guardian, disabled the storm, killed the very weak principi leader who decided to suicide onto my sword. Eothas destroyed the machine/wheel, he passed his essence to Berath who became the leader of the gods. Vaillians took over the deadfire, Huana queen lost all of her influence but the Huana started treating their people better. (I pissed on the caste system every chance I could). Companians all went off to do things I don't remember. Waterdancer companian told me I was basically the devil and he hoped history forgets about me.
I played the whole game very honest. Every time anybody asked me a question I told the truth. Ended up upsetting a lot of people. "I killed your boss". "I freed your dragon". "I blew up your HQ" kind of things.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I tend to play in a similar way. I'm no Paladin, but I generally try to do the 'right' thing in my pragmatic view. That said, I was REALLY surprised at how my choices turned out. In truth, I wasn't happy with the consequences of some of my decisions and now that I think about it I don't believe I had much positive impact on the region at all.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to ally with the huana as they seemed the most benevolent of the factions especially after i convinced them to look after the lower castes better. But the queen excommunicated me when i admitted to freeing the dragon so i went with plan B instead.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm playing the first game now, third time I start, this time I want to finish. It's good how damn hard it can be sometimes to find the "right" path. Like the quest for Lord Raedrick. Do you side with him or Kolsk? With the priest or the torture lady? None is perfectly good and all have their faults. I like it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
fuck that's lame, and i also didnt see it was a kotaku link and gave them a click

double fuck.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's important to remember that MS has a long history of making many promises and then failing on them due to their schizophrenic behavior when it comes to their priorities. They may want to give a long lead with obsidian now to recover their place in the console world, but they'll yank the reins real hard in the future whether they succeed or not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
*If* they get that hands off approach and AAA big funding Phil Spencer has said they are doing with Ninja theory and others? Hell ya
Meh, having Obsidian games on Windows Store only would mean I'm not buying them. Plus who knows what they'll be doing in 2years when they release the Xbox 8 Infinity and decide that instead of letting devs do whatever they want, they should stop and make new Xbox 8 Infinity exclusive games instead or whatever.